£3.84m

beararse

5 minutes ago, Heshootshescores said:

We DO need to compete on wages though, otherwise they will on average get better players. Tactics, motivation etc can only take you so far. 

Disagree. Scouting is the key, but no one has mastered it.

Some of our best signings have been inexpensive. And a lot of the most expensive have been utter shite.

45 minutes ago, AlbertzLoyalRSC said:

Disagree. Scouting is the key, but no one has mastered it.

Some of our best signings have been inexpensive. And a lot of the most expensive have been utter shite.

I don't disagree that targeting the right players is very important, but ultimately the best players will go for the big money wages. Look down the leagues and you'll generally find, that on average the richest clubs are enjoying most of the success. Of course there's always a Leicester who will come along once in a while, and enjoy brief success, until the rich clubs plunder their squads. 

1 hour ago, theblueoysterbar said:

People were talking a lot about the size of c's wagebill and how they can't survive under it a while ago. No CL this year and they are in serious fucking bother. 

Add in who would you rather work with, Stevie Gerrard or TLB and I think things are definitely turning here.

Some good stuff on Peter Crouch's podcast on BBC Sport about working with Gerrard in training at Liverpool, about 16mins in. 

4 hours ago, EastEnclosureBear said:

Fifty grand fifty grand Glen Kamara :UK:

Best piece of business in years. Rolls Royce of a player. You can tell by his movement off the ball he’s been coached really well: never stands still, always has look round when receiving a pass, never looks flustered.

Law of averages he’ll have a few poor games but for £50k it’s a stunning signing.

Gerrard can take him to Anfield for £20m+ in 3 or 4 years time 🙂

Just now, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

The team we dominated and beat yesterday mate.

They are champions because they have the squad to be consistent. 

We have a good 11 or 12 but no team can keep those same players on the pitch for a full season we badly need strength in depth to win the league and that costs money. 

1 minute ago, Courtyard Bear said:

We have a good 11 or 12 but no team can keep those same players on the pitch for a full season we badly need strength in depth to win the league and that costs money. 

That's definitely true - though we have the likes of Jamie Murphy, Jordan Jones and the lad Hastie in the squad for next season - maybe Docherty too. And you have to hope a couple of the younger players from the reserves can make the step up.

I do think you're right though that money will have to be spent but Gerard has proved that he can get quality players in at a fraction of the cost of the signings celtic have made - and they can be of superior quality. I think he's also proved to many clubs down south that quality loans will get game time and significantly improve with the experience they can get at Ibrox. 

Confident we can take a further step forward, whether that's to 55 will depend a lot on what they do as much as what we are able to build. Interesting times ahead!!

1 minute ago, TartanTeddy said:

That's definitely true - though we have the likes of Jamie Murphy, Jordan Jones and the lad Hastie in the squad for next season - maybe Docherty too. And you have to hope a couple of the younger players from the reserves can make the step up.

I do think you're right though that money will have to be spent but Gerard has proved that he can get quality players in at a fraction of the cost of the signings celtic have made - and they can be of superior quality. I think he's also proved to many clubs down south that quality loans will get game time and significantly improve with the experience they can get at Ibrox. 

Confident we can take a further step forward, whether that's to 55 will depend a lot on what they do as much as what we are able to build. Interesting times ahead!!

Quality is going to cost us money not only to buy but to pay a wage. All the names you have mentioned are at best squad players  We are losing arguably one of our best players in Kent and every chance our top striker in Mo, so let’s get past this nonsense that we don’t need money spent. We need serious money spent on at least 4 or 5 top quality signings that will walk into that first team  

We have had a great finish to the season but let’s not forget some of shit shows we produced this season as well. 

30 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

They are in a position this summer where we have been. New manager needed, overhaul of squad, and pressure to hit the ground running. So yes they're champions and yes they're on a run of titles, but they're also now in a fair bit of turmoil.

They'll either go for Lennon or someone like Mark Hughes, and neither will likely get much transfer kitty until they've got through CL qualifiers or sell players. And those qualifiers aren't a given.

Yes we need to add quality, improve discipline and consistency, and deal with our own pressures. But to be honest I'd take this position over theirs this summer. Importantly we have shown we have the quality and now confidence to take them on.

And yes the real quality ie a number 10 will likely cost money if he's permanent signing, I wouldnt be surprised if its actually a loanee. But essentially it has been shown improvement can and has been made without really spending money, money just increases options for currently contracted players.

4 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

They are in a position this summer where we have been. New manager needed, overhaul of squad, and pressure to hit the ground running. So yes they're champions and yes they're on a run of titles, but they're also now in a fair bit of turmoil.

They'll either go for Lennon or someone like Mark Hughes, and neither will likely get much transfer kitty until they've got through CL qualifiers or sell players. And those qualifiers aren't a given.

Yes we need to add quality, improve discipline and consistency, and deal with our own pressures. But to be honest I'd take this position over theirs this summer.

And yes the real quality ie a number 10 will likely cost money if he's permanent signing, I wouldnt be surprised if its actually a loanee. But essentially it has been shown improvement can and has been made without really spending money, money just increases options for currently contracted players.

I agree we finally have a close season with a settled manager and the beginnings of a settled squad. So no ripping up and start again this summer  

But we still need to strengthen badly to put in a challenge for next season. CL money is gone for them and us for the foreseeable future so that is actually a bonus for us at the moment. 

Hopefully they give the bigot the job because Stevie has his number all day and would the best piece of business for us all summer. 

1 minute ago, Courtyard Bear said:

I agree we finally have a close season with a settled manager and the beginnings of a settled squad. So no ripping up and start again this summer  

But we still need to strengthen badly to put in a challenge for next season. CL money is gone for them and us for the foreseeable future so that is actually a bonus for us at the moment. 

Hopefully they give the bigot the job because Stevie has his number all day and would the best piece of business for us all summer. 

Agree with that 👍

27 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Quality is going to cost us money not only to buy but to pay a wage. All the names you have mentioned are at best squad players  We are losing arguably one of our best players in Kent and every chance our top striker in Mo, so let’s get past this nonsense that we don’t need money spent. We need serious money spent on at least 4 or 5 top quality signings that will walk into that first team  

We have had a great finish to the season but let’s not forget some of shit shows we produced this season as well. 

I don't think anyone is saying we don't need to spend this summer to compete

There's clearly no way the club could go into next season with only Defoe as an out and out striker (if Mo, and undoubtedly Lafferty leave). Though, I have a (maybe unrealistic) feeling that we might not see Morelos leave simply because he probably needs to address his disciplinary record if he wants a transfer to a top flight club and he can do that more effectively here under Gerrard in a team that is clearly moving forward. But even if he does stay, we need to significantly strengthen at both 9 and 10 - and it will likely not come cheap

Like most, I like Kent, but if he leaves I think Murphy/Jones and Middleton provide adequate cover - and I think they all have the potential of being strong contributors on a regular basis. Biggest concern for me, alongside a credible 10 though is cover at centre back and finding a proper left back who can defend  - though whether we have to spend big on that will really depend on how effective we are in the scouting department or in negotiating loans.

I doubt the club are in a position to go much beyond the 5M mark for any position so my expectation is that signings are likely to be more focussed on out of contract players and perhaps from a few of the markets, like Croatia, that we have tapped before.

I am probably in the vast minority but I really hope Morelos goes in the summer.

Anything around 15m and I would be delighted. But whatever, we need to move him on. The circus around him is damaging and we have been a far better and more balanced team since he has lost his place.

I know it’s controversial but I don’t think we win the league with him still here.

Firstly it means we don’t free up funds from his sale and secondly it means we have the constant fear of his disciplinary issues rising and finally unsettling the team balance again

Alfie needs to move on with our gratitude and we need to reinvest that money in Ryan Kent and a replacement for Morelos and Lafferty. 

Although while we were slumming it in the lower leagues, the scum more or less made do with that never heard of before nonentity .. which was more than enough to ensure continual CL in this backwater ..

yet when we came back up, serious money was spent getting Brenda .. 

no matter how much they spend on a manager now - I still feel confident with SG in charge we will have more then enough for 55 next year 

We have a month of euro games before the big leagues start their seasons, I would leave of off selling Morelos to see how he goes start of the season in the euro games if hes still a liability then sell him