Was Parlane a popular player?

2 hours ago, The Ghost said:

Derek was extremely popular and was a tremendous asset to the team and the club. I’ve always felt he should get a great deal more recognition and appreciation than he seems to.

Loved his story on here yesterday regarding Jock Wallace and the journalist gonna print a story about a young Derek and a dancer👍, No one fucked with Jock Wallace what a man and a true Rangers man unlike so many imposters nowadays.  

6 hours ago, The Widow's Son said:

Read a good article recently in The Scotsman about Derek Parlane.  Memory is a big foggy but I don't recall him as the most popular player.  He seemed to leave with a lot of good football still left in him.  

Still wondering in the 'Couve.

Probably loves Rangers more than DJ

My auld brain cells aren't what they used to be but my recollection is that I'd been spoiled by having watched Colin Stein and DJ perform for us as CF's and if memory serves me correctly DJ demanded to play at CH and Stein was gone, Parlane was then our new CF, and as I said we'd been spoiled and as he wasn't as good as the two aforementioned he wasn't given the same adulation, I have to admit I was one of those who were meh about him but looking back that was probably unfair on Parlane who was an honest and dedicated player for us and has a decent scoring record but was just unfortunate on who he followed into the #9 jersey.

6 hours ago, The Ghost said:

Derek was extremely popular and was a tremendous asset to the team and the club. I’ve always felt he should get a great deal more recognition and appreciation than he seems to.

This - great player very popular 

According to my dad and two older brothers he was very popular but not as popular as Colin Stein or Derek Johnstone.

He has an outstanding record of scoring against the manky mob..... 10 plus goals according to some older Bears on RM.

8 hours ago, Brackley said:

To the tune of McNamara's Band

His name is Derek Parlane he's the leader of the team

The greatest centre forward the world has ever seen 

He's always there or thereabouts to score a vital goal

And as for Jimmy Johnstone you can stick him up your hole

Nah nah nah 

Sung that ditty many a time.

Brings back memories!!! 

Forgot about that one!

Good player and popular . Don't remember him getting much stick but he did have to be compared to Colin Stein and DJ two of the best centre forwards we have ever had. A great lad and fond memories of him particularly the goal against Bayern.