Double Standards

On 26/05/2019 at 23:54, ForeverAndEver said:

Might be misinterpreting this but, then you can say that fenian etc is religious or whatnot because we refer to Hibs as the same, just like they do with Hearts/us.

Sorry, mate, been a bit busy lately.

If you look at the dictionary definition of fenian it is in part a religious term. But at the same time, I don’t think anybody would call wee Mrs Smith a fenian if she just goes to mass but has no republican leanings. So it’s disingenuous to say that it’s just about being a Catholic. If you fit the dictionary definition of fenian (bearing in mind the things which make you a fenian are personal choices, i.e. religion and politics) then how can it be offensive to call you one?

I’m not sure about the word “H**”. I mean, aye, it’s somewhat offensive but does it mean any more than “Tim”. I don’t know. But then why call Hearts mini-H*** if it is solely about being a Rangers supporter? I think for most people it’s the double standards (to use the topic heading) that offends more than actually being called a H**.

But “Orange bastard” is a religious slur on the same level as fenian but there isn’t half as much taboo about using it and that’s what annoys me.

45 minutes ago, BigDak said:

Sorry, mate, been a bit busy lately.

If you look at the dictionary definition of fenian it is in part a religious term. But at the same time, I don’t think anybody would call wee Mrs Smith a fenian if she just goes to mass but has no republican leanings. So it’s disingenuous to say that it’s just about being a Catholic. If you fit the dictionary definition of fenian (bearing in mind the things which make you a fenian are personal choices, i.e. religion and politics) then how can it be offensive to call you one?

I’m not sure about the word “H**”. I mean, aye, it’s somewhat offensive but does it mean any more than “Tim”. I don’t know. But then why call Hearts mini-H*** if it is solely about being a Rangers supporter? I think for most people it’s the double standards (to use the topic heading) that offends more than actually being called a H**.

But “Orange bastard” is a religious slur on the same level as fenian but there isn’t half as much taboo about using it and that’s what annoys me.

I think Billy equals more to Tim as both are no way derogatory.

H** certainly is, even with no words added to it.

On the other side the word fenian isn’t derogatory on its own unless you add additional words or context similarly so is Orange.

Do I really get offended by the word H**, not really but I’ll make more of a deal to anyone who used it just so there isn’t the double standards/ selectarianism and I’ll argue the fact that’s it’s casual sectarianism.

Taig and tarriar are also derogatory.

Thats my thought on these different words and phrases and would like to think it’s common thinking amongst us but they don’t wont to accept that their use of the word H** is wrong as it’s a word they use everyday.

lastly fenian H** i also dont believe is derogatory and we need to start calling them it more often