Top 15 Europa League Goals - Dan Candeias v Spartak In

5 hours ago, SonOfLuther said:

moscow4.gif

moscow5.gif

Completely unrelated but notice the wee exasperated hop/kick Morelos does when he sees the linesman's flag? Same thing thing he got sent off for in the Aberdeen game he scored the goal of season. Only difference is the lack of a head the baw flailing about under his feet.

Jus' sayin'

4 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

Candeias works hard, but he really lacks quality and composure. Upgrade required to win the league. 

Rather than lacking quality, I would say consistency mate.

Since he joined us, some of the assists / chances he has created have been of genuine quality. The disallowed goal above as case in point. 

Then again, wingers are notorious for a lack of consistency. 

4 hours ago, TheCutch said:

Since he joined us, some of the assists / chances he has created have been of genuine quality. The disallowed goal above as case in point. 

I’d agree with that, but also agree we still need an upgrade in quality - not just in Candeias’s position but all over the pitch. I find it strange he’s one that’s always picked out when almost the whole team has been inconsistent throughout the season. Both inconsistent individually and as a team.

What midfield player hasn’t blown hot and cold this season? Which defender? The only argument would perhaps be Tav, but practically our entire team has been inconsistent ... and it’s not just Candeias’s fault.

4 hours ago, Blueteeth said:

I’d agree with that, but also agree we still need an upgrade in quality - not just in Candeias’s position but all over the pitch. I find it strange he’s one that’s always picked out when almost the whole team has been inconsistent throughout the season. Both inconsistent individually and as a team.

What midfield player hasn’t blown hot and cold this season? Which defender? The only argument would perhaps be Tav, but practically our entire team has been inconsistent ... and it’s not just Candeias’s fault.

It’s not that he doesn’t have the ability, he’s shown it at times. It’s his utter lack of composure. Blows so many attacking opportunities with a shite cross / pass / shot. 

We’re much better with the narrower 3 anyway. Don’t think he’ll feature much next season. 

1 minute ago, graeme_4 said:

It’s not that he doesn’t have the ability, he’s shown it at times. It’s his utter lack of composure. Blows so many attacking opportunities with a shite cross / pass / shot. 

We’re much better with the narrower 3 anyway. Don’t think he’ll feature much next season. 

Forgetting pre-season and that we keep all our players as is would you rather we started with Defoe or Alfredo up front?

We seem to lack fluidity with Morelos, so I’d be dropping a lot of the players who played against Kilmarnock. It was a meaningless game according to some, but Gerrard is monitoring every game and it was a chance for some of the other to impress- they didn’t. If anything it shows poor attitude from some.

9 hours ago, TheCutch said:

I honestly think it's a stretch to refer to him as a winger 

1 hour ago, Blueteeth said:

Forgetting pre-season and that we keep all our players as is would you rather we started with Defoe or Alfredo up front?

We seem to lack fluidity with Morelos, so I’d be dropping a lot of the players who played against Kilmarnock. It was a meaningless game according to some, but Gerrard is monitoring every game and it was a chance for some of the other to impress- they didn’t. If anything it shows poor attitude from some.

Difficult. Defoe doesn’t deserve to lose the jersey, but Morelos is younger and better IMO. I’d like to see Morelos as part of the narrower front 3. He’s only really played as a quite isolated, frustrated loan striker. 

Get Arfield and Kent (or a new Kent) in about him. The biggest tactical impact Gerrard has made was playing Arfield in a role where he can get beyond the striker. 

1 hour ago, graeme_4 said:

Difficult. Defoe doesn’t deserve to lose the jersey, but Morelos is younger and better IMO. I’d like to see Morelos as part of the narrower front 3. He’s only really played as a quite isolated, frustrated loan striker. 

Get Arfield and Kent (or a new Kent) in about him. The biggest tactical impact Gerrard has made was playing Arfield in a role where he can get beyond the striker. 

Agreed, but I'm still not convinced Morelos would thrive on that kind of service. He does seem frustrated as a target man sometimes, but maybe that's his strength? I'm just thinking back to when Morelos has tried to work as the main striker with two up front and it's never really worked very well. I don't know if it's a communication issue or if he's just not used to having a partnership with anyone. It certainly doesn't seem to come naturally to him, where as it does for Defoe.

6 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

Correct. He should play the same system he plays with Defoe when Morelos is playing. He can't be expected to do it all on his own. It's a team game. There's a reason why clichés are clichés and that's because they're usually correct. 

Going in the opposite direction, the biggest mistake of the season was letting Katic spending so much of it on the bench. I know he was having personal problems, but playing in front of 50000 fans is a good way of getting his mind off the stuff that was bothering him.