Retrogaming

miracle

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/06/2019 at 18:33, Rfc52 said:

That's superb :lol:

I keep thinking about ordering that pi retro console but don't believe it'll be as good as I remember 

Not sure what pi retro console is mate, but don't be mugged into buying a rip off 3rd party offer.

Raspberry pi 3b+ 35 quid

SD card  tenner ish (depending on size)

Controllers - depends what you are after

Case - if you want one

A lot of companies selling images of retropie, which is free.

I'm a bit addicted to this, probably spend more time tinkering than playing the games 😂

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This isn't necessarily retro just yet but I picked up an Xbox 360 for less than 20 quid cause the games are all about 50p now and I've never really bothered with 7th gen consoles.  Long story short, our line-up in Fifa 2015 gives me the fear 🤪

IMG_20190914_003920.jpg

37 minutes ago, j1mgg said:

Always turns out to be a big disappointment, management games may not be so bad though.

This. Even going back to older versions of GTA like Vice City and San Andreas is highly disappointing. A blocky mess with shite graphics and horrible controls.

We're probably spoiled with today's games, a lot of which are like interactive movies with the quality of voice acting and high level story writing. It will be interesting in about 20 years time if we look back at today's games like RDR2 for instance and call them a blocky mess with shite graphics and horrible controls. I would guess that we will. 

On 14/09/2019 at 09:20, Jamie0202 said:

. It will be interesting in about 20 years time if we look back at today's games like RDR2 for instance and call them a blocky mess with shite graphics and horrible controls. I would guess that we will. 

Not in the same way we view PS1 or PS2 games. The jump from the PS2 to the PS3 was astronomical... we're unlikely to have such a big jump that was so blatenly obvious ever again.

Beyond increased image detail through higher resolutions and smoother frame rates, I fear alot of the upcoming advancements are not something  the average gamer will truly appriciate...  I can see alot of people moaning about jump from PS4 to PS5 to be honest. Without technical knowledge or indepth comparisons to how game devs previously got around hardware limitations, the improvements could easily be lost to your average gamer. Hell we still have people telling us they can't see or feel a difference between 30 fps and 60fps, letalone 120fps. We're gonna see big improvements to geometry, dynamic lighting & shadows and physics in general... I.e the way objects interact with one another such as tall grass moving when your character walks through it... More things happening in realtime without having to be baked into the game engine.  There's alot of magic in games that currently fool us into thinking more is happening than there actually is.

8 hours ago, Iakona said:

Not in the same way we view PS1 or PS2 games. The jump from the PS2 to the PS3 was astronomical... we're unlikely to have such a big jump that was so blatenly obvious ever again.

Beyond increased image detail through higher resolutions and smoother frame rates, I fear alot of the upcoming advancements are not something  the average gamer will truly appriciate...  I can see alot of people moaning about jump from PS4 to PS5 to be honest. Without technical knowledge or indepth comparisons to how game devs previously got around hardware limitations, the improvements could easily be lost to your average gamer. Hell we still have people telling us they can't see or feel a difference between 30 fps and 60fps, letalone 120fps. We're gonna see big improvements to geometry, dynamic lighting & shadows and physics in general... I.e the way objects interact with one another such as tall grass moving when your character walks through it... More things happening in realtime without having to be baked into the game engine.  There's alot of magic in games that currently fool us into thinking more is happening than there actually is.

As a predominantly PC gamer I know where you're coming from in terms of what's happening under the hood. I totally agree that the PS5 won't be as impressive as people are expecting as well. The predicted Teraflops increase isn't really a huge upgrade on the current most powerful console either. The predicted SSD will make a big difference to the experience but the visual quality will be only slightly better IMO and it will use most of its power trying to crank out 4K - which again IMO doesn't make much of a difference on an average 50" telly at your average viewing distance from the couch.

I still think in 20 years from now we will look upon today's games as borderline unplayable. It isn't just graphics and visual effects either. Gameplay will be less restrictive in future. Developers of AAA games will only use 2 or 3 different engines which will be almost perfected which will give you the ability to do anything you want really.

Most of that is assuming we will still be playing games in front of  a flat screen with a controller in our hands. Fuck knows what literally game changing innovations are around the corner.

• 7 months later...

Best retro game is PAC man,   And what are we calling retro here 2000?    Retro gaming was the late 70's early 80's and I remember playing PAC man on many occasions on the tradional acrade and also the glass tables you used to sit at and play which where ahead off their time.  

After that you can talk spectrum, commodore , Atari, Amstrad etc who starting coming out with home computers then the  japs and Nintendo came into the home  entertainment system in 86 with  the NES  which was a games console only and the sega master system  followed in 1987 also japemese and to be nintendos main rival in the neXt decade.  They were both followed up with 16bit consoles in the early 90's long before Sony entered the frame after a fall out with Nintendo over the new console they were both  working on as Nintendo wanted cartridges to stop piracy but Sony wanted the new compact disc and that was the end of the arcade era as we knew it. 

On 05/07/2019 at 18:25, dougal72 said:

https://www.prgapp.com/prg/

This app is cracking works on android phones, tablets , boxes. 20 odd thousand games with more to be added. Currently working my way through Castlevania Symphony of the Night.  Hadn't touched my ps4 for over a year due to retro gaming. 

Linky no loady

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 30/04/2020 at 15:51, barkie said:

Old spectrum game Lords of midnight on android still very atmospheric game.

Spectrum is gayer than AIDS man, Commodore was where it was at.   I bet you were the kid who had an Atari ST while we were all swapping games in the playground.

On 24/05/2020 at 16:07, j1mgg said:

Anyone done a retropi build

I just started from scratch, it's a bit of a learning curve if you're not familiar with Linux and how all the emulators work.   You might be better off downloading an image from arcadepunks.

16 minutes ago, miracle said:

I just started from scratch, it's a bit of a learning curve if you're not familiar with Linux and how all the emulators work.   You might be better off downloading an image from arcadepunks.

Def best to stay away from 3rd party images imo. Get loads of things you might not want or need.

It's taken me a while to get used to it, but If you need a hand mate give me a shout, I've managed to add lots of systems including steam link. I've scraped all consoles with videos. Added background music, a video splash screen, added rollercoaster Tycoon to the pi. Chose a theme... Hid a lot of the boot text, enabled loading ROMs from a Nas and added launching images.

By no means an expert, but I love being able to customise it and choose my own preferences 

12 minutes ago, stewaj3 said:

Def best to stay away from 3rd party images imo. Get loads of things you might not want or need.

It's taken me a while to get used to it, but If you need a hand mate give me a shout, I've managed to add lots of systems including steam link. I've scraped all consoles with videos. Added background music, a video splash screen, added rollercoaster Tycoon to the pi. Chose a theme... Hid a lot of the boot text, enabled loading ROMs from a Nas and added launching images.

By no means an expert, but I love being able to customise it and choose my own preferences 

Amiga is the one I have trouble with, I can get it running but anything more than one disk I'm stuck.

40 minutes ago, miracle said:

Amiga is the one I have trouble with, I can get it running but anything more than one disk I'm stuck.

Make sure your games are named like

Game_Disk1.adf

Game_Disk2.adf

If you do this the second disk should be inserted. You can also zip them together into a single file.