Retrogaming

miracle

On 16/07/2020 at 22:41, stewaj3 said:

No idea about psp or Vita emulation, but redream works rest well on retropie on the pi4

There is a beta of a Dreamcast emulator for the Vita but it's really just proof of concept and hasn't been updated in years.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got an original Xbox recently.   Never played it back in the day.   Stuck a 500GB HDD in it and so far I've got about 150 games from archive.org's excellent XBOX HDD Ready collection loaded on to it.   I've mostly concentrated on Xbox exclusives thus far as I have a lot of the other games on the PS2 and that's got a better controller.   I still have about 130GB to fill; any recommendations?

3 hours ago, miracle said:

I got an original Xbox recently.   Never played it back in the day.   Stuck a 500GB HDD in it and so far I've got about 150 games from archive.org's excellent XBOX HDD Ready collection loaded on to it.   I've mostly concentrated on Xbox exclusives thus far as I have a lot of the other games on the PS2 and that's got a better controller.   I still have about 130GB to fill; any recommendations?

I'll chip in with 1. Spartan - Total Warrior. I enjoyed playing this about 15 years ago. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just upgraded the cfw on my PSP to infinity 2.0 a few nights ago, works perfectly and installed a capcom emulator for their arcade games. Installed a lynx emulator as well but realised the games are quite pish so that’ll be getting removed. Only takes up about 75mb for all the ROMS to be fair. 

@stewaj3 Need your help here if you can be arsed.

Looking at a Pi 4 and case with as much as I can put in it, it's just the software I'm struggling with. 

Where do I get the software image that these people have on this to run the emulators and browse and select games? Thought it would be on GGN but I can't find it. 

https://retrogamesconsole.co.uk/retro-games-console/

Thanks for any help you can give. I'm not looking for the images of the games themselves, just the software they put on these things.

17 hours ago, theblueoysterbar said:

Looking at a Pi 4 and case with as much as I can put in it, it's just the software I'm struggling with. 

Where do I get the software image that these people have on this to run the emulators and browse and select games? Thought it would be on GGN but I can't find it. 

Thanks for any help you can give. I'm not looking for the images of the games themselves, just the software they put on these things.

Was sure I replied to you earlier 😂

So to get you started your looking for this

https://retropie.org.uk/download/

This is a basic instruction for getting started

https://retropie.org.uk/docs/First-Installation/

I'm happy to help with any questions you have, so feel free to shout if you need a hand

Did you have particular systems in mind?

17 hours ago, theblueoysterbar said:

Also meant to say, the stuff included in this actually looks like decent quality, retroflag case, 8bitdo controller... 

That being said probably a mark up of £50/£60 on it... Depending on which pi/sd card used

2 hours ago, stewaj3 said:

Was sure I replied to you earlier 😂

So to get you started your looking for this

https://retropie.org.uk/download/

This is a basic instruction for getting started

https://retropie.org.uk/docs/First-Installation/

I'm happy to help with any questions you have, so feel free to shout if you need a hand

Did you have particular systems in mind?

Thanks for that mate, much appreciated.

Not really sure what to go for, will probably be back with a load of stupid questions. Thanks again.

23 minutes ago, theblueoysterbar said:

Thanks for that mate, much appreciated.

Not really sure what to go for, will probably be back with a load of stupid questions. Thanks again.

Ask away mate, I've got a pi 4 - 4gb. (8gb wasn't out at the time)

4gb runs everything up to psx flawlessly. I'd say a lot of psp, Dreamcast and n64 run pretty well too now.

Got some Saturn games working and playing about with a couple of pc games like rollercoaster Tycoon. 

I'm happy to help and if you've any concerns about ordering it and not getting the set up right, then I can help with that too. I can help you get it set up without paying that company the extra £50/£60

As for the look of the display on that site... I've copied a view of themes below - it shows all the different choices available

https://retropie.org.uk/docs/Themes/

4 hours ago, stewaj3 said:

Ask away mate, I've got a pi 4 - 4gb. (8gb wasn't out at the time)

4gb runs everything up to psx flawlessly. I'd say a lot of psp, Dreamcast and n64 run pretty well too now.

Got some Saturn games working and playing about with a couple of pc games like rollercoaster Tycoon. 

I'm happy to help and if you've any concerns about ordering it and not getting the set up right, then I can help with that too. I can help you get it set up without paying that company the extra £50/£60

As for the look of the display on that site... I've copied a view of themes below - it shows all the different choices available

https://retropie.org.uk/docs/Themes/

Cheers, ordered a pi 4 -4gb, ps1 was about the most recent I want it for anyway, can use my pc for ps2 games if I want and have been reading that even the 8gb pie can't handle them.

Didn't need the controllers or the memory card that came with that thing so it's over £100 I've not had to spend. Will probably use a 32 or 64 gb micro card for everything and put ps1 game images on a separate USB.

Pi 4, 4GB       £45

Power lead    £7

HDMI micro to HDMI cable      £7

Case     £10.

Cheers for your help :tu:

Do you think it will be much work to get it to recognise two Logitech F310 wired controllers? Have a few wired SNES style controllers as well and a couple of ps2 style wired controllers somewhere too. All USB.

16 hours ago, theblueoysterbar said:

Cheers, ordered a pi 4 -4gb, ps1 was about the most recent I want it for anyway, can use my pc for ps2 games if I want and have been reading that even the 8gb pie can't handle them.

Didn't need the controllers or the memory card that came with that thing so it's over £100 I've not had to spend. Will probably use a 32 or 64 gb micro card for everything and put ps1 game images on a separate USB.

Pi 4, 4GB       £45

Power lead    £7

HDMI micro to HDMI cable      £7

Case     £10.

Cheers for your help :tu:

Do you think it will be much work to get it to recognise two Logitech F310 wired controllers? Have a few wired SNES style controllers as well and a couple of ps2 style wired controllers somewhere too. All USB.

The only other thing you might need is a keyboard for setting up WiFi and initial games.

Your controllers aren't ones I've used (although I've heard good things) my first reaction was when you plug in - it should ask you to configure them at set up and should be straight forward

Have had a read of the page below

https://retropie.org.uk/docs/Logitech-Controller/

Talks about d-input and the need for further config if you have 2 controllers set up that way. I'm not sure if that's still relevant, but if it is, I think it will be an easy fix.

Your other wired controllers should be straight forward I believe.

PS1 games can take up a fare bit of memory, depending on game, so I guess its a case of working out how many games you want. I don't know how easy it is to separate games from sd to usb... However I know its easy to setup usb storage, the pi4 also has usb boot as well, which I've not used as I have an SD card, but its another option to look at. You could also get a smaller SD card and use usb storage to store all your games

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, stewaj3 said:

@theblueoysterbar how are you getting on with it?

Kind of gave up mate, originally got it to auto-format a 16gb stick for games and ran out of space.

Tried 32 and 64 gig sticks but the pie just won't format them for putting ROMs on them. Have tried everything, even that program that lets you set the file system up as FAT32 on a Windows machine for a 64gig+ stick.

Strangest thing about it is the 16gb stick it responded to originally is formatted to NTFS which I think isn't supposed to work.

Couldn't get the C64 emulator to work and found there was a bit of lag on picking up the controller as well.

Chucked it. Might need to just start all over again.

Thanks for asking though!

On 12/12/2020 at 22:30, theblueoysterbar said:

Kind of gave up mate, originally got it to auto-format a 16gb stick for games and ran out of space.

Tried 32 and 64 gig sticks but the pie just won't format them for putting ROMs on them. Have tried everything, even that program that lets you set the file system up as FAT32 on a Windows machine for a 64gig+ stick.

Strangest thing about it is the 16gb stick it responded to originally is formatted to NTFS which I think isn't supposed to work.

Couldn't get the C64 emulator to work and found there was a bit of lag on picking up the controller as well.

Chucked it. Might need to just start all over again.

Thanks for asking though!

Use Belena Etcher to load Retropie to the SD card on your PC, then there's an option within settings on the Pi to expand the image to fill the card, then you can load your roms on from there over FTP once you've got your emulators installed.   I'm surprised C64 is causing you bother, that's usually one of the more straight forward ones to run.  It's usually Amiga and Mac that are a nightmare to set up.

Just now, miracle said:

Use Belena Etcher to load Retropie to the SD card on your PC, then there's an option within settings on the Pi to expand the image to fill the card, then you can load your roms on from there over FTP once you've got your emulators installed.   I'm surprised C64 is causing you bother, that's usually one of the more straight forward ones to run.  It's usually Amiga and Mac that are a nightmare to set up.

Thanks man, I'll have a look at that tomorrow.

• 1 month later...
On 16/12/2020 at 01:33, theblueoysterbar said:

Thanks man, I'll have a look at that tomorrow.

If you're struggling with retropie. Maybe try batocera...

More menu options to make it a bit easier to use..

Let me know if your struggling because if you want to get started I'll help you out.

15 hours ago, miracle said:

Picked up a Wii, just because.    Any recommendations for GameCube and Wii titles?

Are you kidding it?

Can't go wrong with the Nintendo games, mario, Zelda, mario kart, metroid, Luigis mansion etc

Sure I liked red steel for the Wii and xiii for the gamecube as random shouts

11 hours ago, stewaj3 said:

Are you kidding it?

Can't go wrong with the Nintendo games, mario, Zelda, mario kart, metroid, Luigis mansion etc

Sure I liked red steel for the Wii and xiii for the gamecube as random shouts

That goes without saying; I was meaning more the exclusive titles as I already have the likes of COD and MOH on other systems and I've never actually owned a Nintendo device before.   I fell out of gaming for a long time and I got it in my head that the GameCube was a failure but there's loads of games for it!

2 hours ago, miracle said:

That goes without saying; I was meaning more the exclusive titles as I already have the likes of COD and MOH on other systems and I've never actually owned a Nintendo device before.   I fell out of gaming for a long time and I got it in my head that the GameCube was a failure but there's loads of games for it!

Kidding wasn't what i meant to say ... Meant to say modding it. Stupid auto correct.

You know I probably lost interest a bit around this time too. Both have some great games though.

• 3 weeks later...