D - Day A tribute to Heroes.

1 hour ago, Thermopylae said:

Sometimes you just have to say thank you ... imagine flying over a blacked out occupied Europe full of ack ack and night fighters in one of these  

Lancester.jpg

it must have been some experience especially for the tail-end Charlie,  I read somewhere that they could expect to be shot down, or killed, within two weeks, or up to five operations. 

1 hour ago, Inigo said:

My old gramps did exactly that on D-Day. As he flew back from bombing the Merville-Franceville battery he saw the armada on it's way from his turret. Old boy died last year.

His log book entry from that day...

20190605_174551.thumb.jpg.c10763d476dab3a531e4459807f5ad10.jpg20190605_174536.thumb.jpg.2cece0b14e19007e0cc672a1caebcf51.jpg

That's really interesting to look at mate. Thanks for sharing. Did he ever mention why some of the entries are in blue, some red?

Brave men every one,can only imagine the fear and trepidation on those craft sailing over,only ever known one guy who was there,he got married on the 4th because he thought he wasn't coming back,lived to reach his diamond wedding anniversary and never once regretted it,a great man 

2 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Watching it all on tv makes you properly proud to be British.  That doesn’t happen too often these days unfortunately.

Mrs Bru and I watched it this morning S and it was done so well, everything Britain does like this is wonderful.

I must admit to having a tear in my eye a couple of times, these things can certainly pull at the heart strings.  

5 minutes ago, bordersbear said:

Also spare a thought for the thousands of German troops who were called up to arms and had no choice other than go to war.  Millions of lives lost over two wars, and for what?

Definitely mate, read a few books looking at it from their side, brave men as well, and not all Nazis by any means. 

2 minutes ago, Bears r us said:

Mrs Bru and I watched it this morning S and it was done so well, everything Britain does in like this is wonderful.

I must admit to having a tear in my eye a couple of times, these things can certainly pull at the heart strings.  

We are great at pomp and pageantry, no one can beat us, watching the old Paras doing their jump brought a tear to my eye,amazing. 

4 hours ago, LegendofCoop said:

Mate, say a Thank You to him for me. I know it's nothing in terms of paying back what we owe, but it's the least I can do. 

Same goes out to anyone else in here who has relatives who served. We take so much for granted these days......it's days like today, and tomorrow, where we should always stop for a minute and just think of those who served, and give them our thanks, while we still can. Never let it happen again!

Will do mate, when the Falklands conflict was kicking off he said " I wish I was going tomorrow"

2 hours ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

then get your dad a wee tot of rum to celebrate the day - My old man no longer with us was on one of the minesweepers keeping the channel clear 

He's been known to take the odd hauf now and again but my younger sisters ration him on it. That was a dodgy business on the minesweepers