D - Day A tribute to Heroes.

5 hours ago, Rangers#1 said:

The guys that went in in the first landing crafts must have known they had practically no chance of surviving, that is some fucking bottle.

boat-thank-you1.jpg

heard one vet say his landing craft ended upon a sandbank - they walked across the sandbar and into the water on the other side which was 6ft deep --- most of these guys were well under 6ft and carrying loads of gear weighing them down - yet they still made it to the beach

21 hours ago, Inigo said:

My old gramps did exactly that on D-Day. As he flew back from bombing the Merville-Franceville battery he saw the armada on it's way from his turret. Old boy died last year.

His log book entry from that day...

20190605_174551.thumb.jpg.c10763d476dab3a531e4459807f5ad10.jpg20190605_174536.thumb.jpg.2cece0b14e19007e0cc672a1caebcf51.jpg

Wow RM really needs a golden post award and that would top the list thanks for that ... was it a Lancaster?

20 hours ago, Don54 said:

it must have been some experience especially for the tail-end Charlie,  I read somewhere that they could expect to be shot down, or killed, within two weeks, or up to five operations. 

They apparently lived the high life during leave because of course they just never knew if that night out would be their last ... lets you see how lucky we who came after them have been

22 hours ago, The Dude said:

I went over to Normandy about 15 years ago and done a lot of the tours. Just an incredible place. Can only imagine what it was like on D-Day. One of my great uncles landed and was killed a few days later. The war cemeteries are just unreal. The big American one in particular is just something else. 

They do say that nothing can prepare you for the cemeteries ... it's kinda understandable why the French and Germans want the EU to work to live so much closer to constant reminders of European wars must make a difference

32 minutes ago, Thermopylae said:

Wow RM really needs a golden post award and that would top the list thanks for that ... was it a Lancaster?

Yeah, all combat missions in a Lanc as rear or mid upper gunner. Transferred once in a Halifax and once in a Dakota. Gunnery training in a Boulton Paul Defiant and bomb run training in a Wellington. Transferred in one other plane too, the name of which I've forgotten.

7 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Yeah, all combat missions in a Lanc as rear or mid upper gunner. Transferred once in a Halifax and once in a Dakota. Gunnery training in a Boulton Paul Defiant and bomb run training in a Wellington. Transferred in one other plane too, the name of which I've forgotten.

Stirring times and glad he survived to enjoy the peace :rangers:

15 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Yeah, lucky enough to survive the death of his crew (story I've mentioned before) and to find out in the last 10 years how and where they died whilst he was laid up in hospital, and to also to finally receive his Bomber Command clasp when the Bomber Boys were finally recognised by the governnent.

Passed away peacefully to rejoin his crewmates at the ripe old age of 98.

It was a national disgrace that bomber command weren't  honoured sooner I'm sure he wore it with much pride on days like today

9 hours ago, Thermopylae said:

They do say that nothing can prepare you for the cemeteries ... it's kinda understandable why the French and Germans want the EU to work to live so much closer to constant reminders of European wars must make a difference

The French and Germans don't seem to go to the cemeteries very much.   I found the German cemeteries had particularly few visitors.

I've been to Normandy, Somme, Ypres and Arnhem and visited numerous cemeteries which are so very sad and very humbling.   At Arnhem (Oosterbeek) twin brothers buried side by side had tears running down my face.  Privates Claude and Thomas Gronert from Cornwall died on same day in the same incident.  Both just 21.

On ‎05‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 17:37, Thermopylae said:

And they all just got on with it back in those days no psychologists or shrinks couches

Good caller on LBC last this woman who's father had night terrors every night for 20 years for D-Day and they stopped never to return when he went back to the beach for the 20 anniversary commemoration ... this shows how important these events can be for the old soldiers who came home