Those “marquee” signings?

KeyserSoze

56 minutes ago, ben51 said:

Was immediately worried you had done the link that takes whoever clicks on the link, to their own FB page.

We get about 100 reports and several PMs from fucking randoms when its done. :lol:

PM Titles like.....

"I HAVE BEEN HACKED"   "How did this cunt get my FB page?"

We either have a situation where the Manager says what he means and means what he says or we don't.   As I recall it he used the term marquee himself.  In mid May both Gerrard and Allen went on record as saying the emphasis is now about quality and not quantity.

The transfer window is still open for many weeks so the judgement of whether or not marquee signings have been made, and whether (taking account of those players who transfer out) the overall quality of the squad is improved - hopefully materially improved - can only start to be done when the transfer window has closed.    Accepting there is a degree of subjectivity about whether a signing is 'marquee' or not I think we should take the meaning at face value ie it should be clear enough if a signing can really be categorised as being in marquee territory.  So far none are imo…..they are more about adding quantity than adding markedly better quality.

Having made their statement, Gerrard and Allen must now deliver on producing signings that are patently 'marquee'.    Their decisions to use that sort of phraseology and their decision t publicly state that the emphasis is on adding quality over quantity need to produce outcomes where we can all plainly see that they meant what they said.  Its as simple as that imo.

10 minutes ago, Reformation Bear said:

We either have a situation where the Manager says what he means and means what he says or we don't.   As I recall it he used the term marquee himself.  In mid May both Gerrard and Allen went on record as saying the emphasis is now about quality and not quantity.

He did indeed, yet quantity seems to be still on the cards. 

Let’s hope he’s true to his word 👍

1 hour ago, bluenoz said:

It wouldn't shock me if we bought Kent. If that were the case, he would be considered a marquee signing. If it is not him, I was under the impression we would spend $10m without selling Morelos. So far, everything has been more or less for free.

We wont be buying Kent 

The window is open until the 3rd of September, so I’m not overly worried.

That said, it’s much better when we get players in early, give them a proper preseason with us and a chance to understand how we play.

Regardless of the window, our season starts competitively  in 3 weeks. 

Will need to see what happens between now and then before I hit the panic button. 

Retaining Morelos and Tavernier would be the equivalent of "marquee" signings (I hate the term).

If either of those 2 leave, and I expect at least 1 to go, then I would expect money to be spent on replacements/the team.

I would rather we spent any money on young players in the £2-4 million bracket than on "a name".  I dug out the numbers when we were interested in Frank de Boer, he spent about £40million as Ajax manager but transfer fees received was well over £100 million. That should be the model we are aiming for.

I’m sure Gerrard/Allen had good intentions when they said it however the cynic in me questions the real choice to use that language (at a time when season tickets were going on sale).

Certainly, to date, none of the signings so far could be considered marquee/adding greater quality.  In fact, we’re in danger of creating that age-old problem (which still stuns me how/why clubs do this) of having way too bloated a squad filled with lots of players vying for the same fee positions (CM and wingers). 

I do have massive faith in Gerrard but I am totally perplexed by the additions so far.

1 minute ago, BearInTheToon said:

I’m sure Gerrard/Allen had good intentions when they said it however the cynic in me questions the real choice to use that language (at a time when season tickets were going on sale).

Certainly, to date, none of the signings so far could be considered marquee/adding greater quality.  In fact, we’re in danger of creating that age-old problem (which still stuns me how/why clubs do this) of having way too bloated a squad filled with lots of players vying for the same fee positions (CM and wingers). 

I do have massive faith in Gerrard but I am totally perplexed by the additions so far.

That is the biggest worry for me. Brought in no one that betters our first 11 for a team that finished 9 behind the filth and didn’t make a final. 

If anything we’re weaker now we’ve lost Kent, and replaced him with Ojo. 

Aribo might be good, but again, who knows and we’ve not even got that over the line yet. 

Work to be done if we want to win the league, and if we don’t capitalise on the filth making an arse of it we’re in bother. 

Been said by many for weeks now, the squad didn’t need major overhaul for the first summer in a few. We needed some squad fillers to replace those leaving, whilst still improving overall quality. However, we still need better quality to win the league so call that kind of signing what you want but we still need a huge step up in quality from somewhere to win the title and probably at least three of them.

Sadly, I don’t think we’ll get them and it’ll be loans or more of the same and we’ll miss another glaring opportunity like this season. 

3 hours ago, bluenoz said:

It wouldn't shock me if we bought Kent. If that were the case, he would be considered a marquee signing. If it is not him, I was under the impression we would spend $10m without selling Morelos. So far, everything has been more or less for free.

How are we going to finance a deal for Kent?

11 minutes ago, Smile said:

How are we going to finance a deal for Kent?

Season ticket sales, last years Europa group stages, getting rid of some of the deadwood....... are you trying to say we have no money for transfers? I admit, Kent may be a stretch but surely we will spunk some money on someone.