Those “marquee” signings?

KeyserSoze

1 minute ago, .Williamson. said:

What do you mean sit still 

We need another fucking striker with Morelos still here. If he leaves we need about 3

Still need a left back as well. Gives me the fear that people are content with Barisic/Flanagan/Halliday (as much as I love him)

9 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

What do you mean sit still 

We need another fucking striker with Morelos still here. If he leaves we need about 3

I meant in regards to a marquee signing as the thread suggests. We need a 4th CB & a 3rd CF for sure.

Just now, bluenoz said:

I meant in regards to a marquee signing as the thread suggests. We need a 4th CB & a 3rd CF for sure.

I don't know what a marquee signing means when you play in Scotland with the financial constraints that go along with that 

I'm assuming we mean another Joey Barton type thing 

31 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

I don't know what a marquee signing means when you play in Scotland with the financial constraints that go along with that 

Exactly. What is a marquee signing nowadays? 20-25 years ago we could get a Laudrup, Gazza, de Boer or Numan. Now we piss ourselves with excitement when we sign a past his best 36 year old on loan who can’t get a game for a middling Premier League club. It’s very difficult, almost impossible, for us to pull a in their prime player out of the hat because they cost 30 million now and we barely have 3 million to spend on players.

Just now, .Williamson. said:

If we sold Morelos for silly money, there are less constraints and our manager has already shown he has the power to attract players. Anyway, I don't think we sell Morelos this year so I can't see any big names coming in.

3 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

If we sold Morelos for silly money, there are less constraints and our manager has already shown he has the power to attract players. Anyway, I don't think we sell Morelos this year so I can't see any big names coming in.

I expect us to help Gareth Bale kick start his club career again 

5 minutes ago, King Jela said:

Niko, Barton, Dorrans, Rossiter etc..

And how many of them have worked out? Genuine question by the way. Going for “big names” hasn’t really worked for us for the best part of a decade now, even going back to players like Rothen, Diouf & James Beattie so I’m happy for us to go for lesser known players. I do understand some people’s frustrations at the lack of box office appeal of some of them though. 

2 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

And how many of them have worked out? Genuine question by the way. Going for “big names” hasn’t really worked for us for the best part of a decade now, even going back to players like Rothen, Diouf & James Beattie so I’m happy for us to go for lesser known players. I do understand some people’s frustrations at the lack of box office appeal of some of them though. 

I was agreeing with you 👀

25 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

I'm not entirely convinced Gerrard is a major factor in players choosing us, just a bonus. Granted we cant compete with EPL and probably some English Championship wages, but we're not exactly a small club. Think a lot of it comes down to Mark Allen and the scout team finding realistic targets. 

Whoever it is, they've done some job over the past 12 months. So much so that I have enough trust in their choices that I'm actually excited to see a player signed from Charlton of all teams. If it was back when Murty/Pedro were in charge and they signed someone from Charlton I'd have assumed he was pish

1 minute ago, BF1 said:

I'm not entirely convinced Gerrard is a major factor in players choosing us, just a bonus. Granted we cant compete with EPL and probably some English Championship wages, but we're not exactly a small club. Think a lot of it comes down to Mark Allen and the scout team finding realistic targets. 

:belm:

11 minutes ago, BF1 said:

Whoever it is, they've done some job over the past 12 months. So much so that I have enough trust in their choices that I'm actually excited to see a player signed from Charlton of all teams. If it was back when Murty/Pedro were in charge and they signed someone from Charlton I'd have assumed he was pish

Still trying..

To be fair if I was unlucky enough to be a taig, I'd spend all my time pretending not to be...

2 minutes ago, AlbertzLoyalRSC said:

Still trying..

To be fair if I was unlucky enough to be a taig, I'd spend all my time pretending not to be...

That explains your shite posts then, taig. 

If we went back in for Jake Cooper that would be a great signing in my opinion.  Not a marquee name, but it doesn’t need to be.  Just give us a CB of real quality and I’ll be happy.

I don’t think we need to worry about brining in another striker unless Morelos leaves.  Defoe, Morelos, with Stewart for backup is fine.  

I wouldn’t mind Taylor from Kilmarnock but I can understand if the manager doesn’t bring in another LB at this time.  We have Halliday, Flanagan, and Barisic who can play that position. 

The squad is pretty bloated right now and I think moving a few on will be a priority.  As the manager said, a CB and he would go with what we currently have.  

Just now, TMB said:

If we went back in for Jake Cooper that would be a great signing in my opinion.  Not a marquee name, but it doesn’t need to be.  Just give us a CB of real quality and I’ll be happy.

I don’t think we need to worry about brining in another striker unless Morelos leaves.  Defoe, Morelos, with Stewart for backup is fine.  

I wouldn’t mind Taylor from Kilmarnock but I can understand if the manager doesn’t bring in another LB at this time.  We have Halliday, Flanagan, and Barisic who can play that position. 

The squad is pretty bloated right now and I think moving a few on will be a priority.  As the manager said, a CB and he would go with what we currently have.  

Having three names to play that position when two are complete gash means nothing.

Move on 8-10 deadwood players, sign an experienced CB, new LB, striker and hang on to Tav and Mo. Getting Kent over the line would be the cherry on the cake. That's what I think we have left to do.

Out - Lafferty, Alnwick, Holt, Dodoo, Rossiter, Dorrans, Middleton (loan), Docherty (loan)

7 minutes ago, TMB said:

Do we actually need another CB? Goldson and Katic are arguably the best pairing in the league, Edmundson is rated highly by Stevie apparently, and McCrorie can also play there well.