Ryan Jack next season

Sash tap

Ryan Jack seems to be a divisive figure. I recognize his qualities (defensive, technically sound, pressing) but I’m firmly in the camp that says we do need a player with fewer limitations in his game to take a step up.

Others swear by Jack and remain convinced he will be a key player next season.

But, with the introduction of 20k per week highly rated Aribo, someone in that midfield three is making way for the majority of games.

I’m pretty convinced it will be Jack. For those who seriously rate Ryan Jack, what do you see happening for him next season?

Just now, Straight-Edge-Loyal said:

Jack gives us a defensive solidity that none of the others does. Think Gattuso in the Milan midfield with Pirlo and Seedorf they needed that destroyer and Kamara, Aribo and Davis don't have that balance. 

Who do you believe shall make way for Aribo?

Just now, Straight-Edge-Loyal said:

Davis should be the one imo Kamara brings the Seedorf style linkage we don't have the Pirlo style and can only hope Aribo lives up to that type of player. 

Davis made us a far better team when he got up to speed. Ability wise he is still head and shoulders above the rest of them technically.

1 minute ago, DBBTB said:

Davis made us a far better team when he got up to speed. Ability wise he is still head and shoulders above the rest of them technically.

I suspect Davis will be kept for the bigger games as otherwise it will be Kamara that drops out as Jack is irreplaceable. 

4 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Useful player who will play his part but I think he will spend a lot of the season being rotated with Davis depending on the game.

I don't see him in the Davis role at all tbh. Don't think he's anywhere near good enough to fill that role. For me he's good at what he does, in that box-to-box midfield role, just not good enough to be a starter for what we're looking for. 

4 minutes ago, SK RFC said:

There will be a slight rotation most weeks. Absolutely no need for jack, kamara and Davis as our midfield at home to st Mirren etc for example. 

Been seeing stuff like this for years now and I don't quite get it. We've got a way of playing that relies on 3 midfielders. We gave out a good few doings last season with 3 in midfield. 

I think Ryan Jack will be crucial next season and I dont see his position within the squad changing, Gerrard has said time and again that he knows he can trust Jack!

Traditionally the deeper CM in a midfield 3 is the more defensive one, but in the last month or two of the season Davis played that role and was almost like a deep lying play maker with his passing and I think that Jack will do that next season.

Jack/Davis

Kamara             Aribo

Thats what I would go with!

2 minutes ago, Del said:

I think Ryan Jack will be crucial next season and I dont see his position within the squad changing, Gerrard has said time and again that he knows he can trust Jack!

Traditionally the deeper CM in a midfield 3 is the more defensive one, but in the last month or two of the season Davis played that role and was almost like a deep lying play maker with his passing and I think that Jack will do that next season.

Jack/Davis

Kamara             Aribo

Thats what I would go with!

Does Jack have the range of passing to be a deep lying playmaker?

I see him as a different type of player to Davis. That said, I do think it will be Davis and Jack rotating with one another as Davis is 34 and won’t last 60 games per season.

19 minutes ago, King Jela said:

I don't see him in the Davis role at all tbh. Don't think he's anywhere near good enough to fill that role. For me he's good at what he does, in that box-to-box midfield role, just not good enough to be a starter for what we're looking for. 

I don’t think he will play the same role as Davis but I can see him being brought in as the deeper midfielder to add defensive solidity and help plug gaps and intercept passes and the like in certain games and in the games against your St Mirrens at home the like it’ll be Davis who plays the deeper role but  he’ll be more of a playmaker from that position starting moves rather than looking to break them up.

8 hours ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

He will be a squad player and a very useful one too.

Its a long season and we need bodies that the gaffer trusts.

Heard Gerrard is having a look at Docherty as a fullback too, similar to Halliday, versatility etc 👍

I always wondered if Gerrard might get Docherty to look at tapes of Kuyt and try to develop him into a right sided midfielder in that mould. He’s certainly got the athleticism to play that sort of role IMO.

It isn't just about Jack but our whole midfield. One of our problems last season was that as soon as we had an injury (ie Arfield) or rotated the squad our midfield quality dropped massively and we lost or laboured heavily in games. You would look at the side and wonder where the killer pass was going to come from or who would burst into the box. 

Jack has the qualities to be a consistent part of our first team in deeper defensive set ups although not as often as last season. We know what he offers, and it remains to be seen how new players like Aribo will settle and fit in to our system. We have been far too defensive in midfield but that has been due to a lack of good attacking options as opposed to not wanting to attack. Arfield for much of the season was the only player who gave us much going forward until the latter months of the season when Davis and Kent really came onto a game. Candeias works his socks off but is so inconsistent. He will feature less. Can Kamara be dropped, as he was also great. Their goals return has till been poor though. I don't think it is just about Jack - it needs to be about improving the quality of the whole midfield to make us less reliant on the same 11 and give us different options. Our upturn in form towards the end of the season was largely due to Arfield, Kent, Davis, Jack and Kamara all being fit and in form. If we can add 1-2 midfielders who can hit double figures in strikes we will be competing for the league.

So I don't see Jack being  the  issue in that group. Of more interest is the fringe or younger midfielders and what we do with them. Halliday remains a great squad player as you know what you get and he's versatile. Holt will be away. Candeias could go in January if he doesn't play. Docherty is interesting as he was great on loan but it is difficult to see who he replaces. Same with Rossiter. I can't see them being happy to come back and sit on the bench. I also can't see them displacing any of those players above. Probably they need someone to get injured  to get a chance to play. It would be good to get them to SPL clubs perhaps so they can take points off celtic but not play against us. That is what they have done in recent years and it has worked. 

50 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

I always wondered if Gerrard might get Docherty to look at tapes of Kauy and try to develop him into a right sided midfielder in that mould. He’s certainly got the athleticism to play that sort of role IMO.

I've been awake for nearly 3 days straight and I'm struggling to think who you meam by Kauy. Who is it? 

Jack is Gerrard's man, he has made no bones about that. I believe others can play that role ( McCrorie & Rossiter ) and maybe better if given the chance but Gerrard relies on him and I'm fine with that. I can't see Kamara getting dropped anytime soon so I see Davis becoming a part time player.  Youth/talent will always prevail over experience in the long run.

Jack should be 5th choice CM.

Aribo, Kamara, Arfield, Davis then Jack. 

One of Aribo's strengths is winning the ball back and being difficult to beat so we won't lose Jack, especially with Kamara there too, and Aribo will give us far far more going forward than Jack would.