Gerrard to get tough with indiscipline.

backup

STEVEN GERRARD has vowed to hammer Rangers stars who step out of line this season.

The Rangers boss has rewritten the club’s disciplinary rules after admitting he was too SOFT last term.

Gerrard has decided on a new no-nonsense approach in a bid to end the club’s shocking red-card tally.

He said: “I didn’t know the players well enough last year.

“I’ll definitely be more strict moving forward.

“When I came in I had a chat with the players and there didn’t seem to be a big problem with discipline the year before.

“So I didn’t think that I needed to be as strict as I’m going to be this season.”

Gerrard’s title ambitions were undermined by 12 red cards in the last campaign — five of them for hot-headed Colombian striker Alfredo Morelos.

He insists that record MUST change if they are to mount a genuine challenge to halt celtic’s bid for nine titles in a row.
The Ibrox boss said: “When I arrived I didn’t want to come in and look like a manager who was changing everything that had gone on before.

“Last year we tweaked the code of conduct from previous regimes. I like the players to have an input so that they’re happy moving forward.

“But from a discipline point of view, we’ll now be adding to it with stricter punishments for players who think they can misbehave on a football pitch.

“It’s going to cost the team so that’s a priority of mine, to change the code of conduct in that area.

“We understand that players are going to get booked or pick up an unfortunate red card.

“But for stuff that’s not acceptable on the pitch, we have to improve it.”

5 minutes ago, backup said:

Personally I think he should have kept those thoughts to himself.

I think it became a topic of conversation amongst the fans, particularly in relation to Morelos, so him coming out & saying something I suppose cuts out any concerns of letting them away with it.

However, I absolutely see your point & somewhat agree with it.

graeme_4 likes this

Just now, Ace said:

I think it became a topic of conversation amongst the fans, particularly in relation to Morelos, so him coming out & saying something I suppose cuts out any concerns of letting them away with it.

However, I absolutely see your point & somewhat agree with it.

Like you I am old school (very old school),discipline not something that would have been for public consumption back in the day. Indeed I can recall The Rangers arriving team handed at park gardens, when one of our players was up on a disciplinary, changed days indeed.

16 minutes ago, backup said:

Personally I think he should have kept those thoughts to himself.

I suppose making a point at the start of the season regarding our indiscipline lets us know they have addressed this somewhat. 

It’s a fair enough statement that should end there.

He might even use the statement to fall back on when we have zero red cards at the end of the season as we lift the title 

Making him look good. 

6 minutes ago, magic8ball said:

he can call the referees out

What will that achieve. And why don't and haven't the board done so before now, because it is the sort of action the taigs promulgate ending in ref strikes !

He is doing the right thing. Red cards are costing us points we can I'll afford. If our players keep their heads and don't give the refs a decision to make then we will be in a better place.

I like that SG has made the matter public as us fans deserve to know what's going on and the refs will know that action has been taken.

I still expect us to get needless red cards due to referee incompetence or bias, but that is a whole different issue.

bluenose48 likes this

44 minutes ago, backup said:

What will that achieve. And why don't and haven't the board done so before now, because it is the sort of action the taigs promulgate ending in ref strikes !

Remember after first game it Pittodrie last year Gerrard called out historical refereeing and got ripped by the media. We loved it as we have been wanting something like that for years. 

At least this way he can start building a case. Along the lines of. We have dealt with indiscipline but you are punishing us for stuff that you don't punish others for. 

4 minutes ago, magic8ball said:

Remember after first game it Pittodrie last year Gerrard called out historical refereeing and got ripped by the media. We loved it as we have been wanting something like that for years. 

At least this way he can start building a case. Along the lines of. We have dealt with indiscipline but you are punishing us for stuff that you don't punish others for. 

like CB said.."He cant change the Refs so nothing will change". 

SG's statement raises an interesting question, do we have a serious discipline problem, or is it more persecution, perceived or otherwise by authorities ? 

5 minutes ago, backup said:

like CB said.."He cant change the Refs so nothing will change". 

SG's statement raises an interesting question, do we have a serious discipline problem, or is it more persecution, perceived or otherwise by authorities ? 

Bit of both to be honest. We have had a few lash outs at opposition, Flannegan McGreggor an of course Morelos all over exposed in the media. If we sort this out then we can go after them for the unwarranted Red cards 

8 minutes ago, TMB said:

So if Morelos gets a red card what is he going to do?  Start issuing fines, limiting his game time, what?  

He fined Morelos after his old firm red card and used the money to reimburse the fans who went to the game. 

2019/20 will be like no other season - and having fragile minded Morelos on the pitch is a huge target for our opposition.

Last season we had no alternative to Morelos so SG could never really lambast him.

I am glad he declared it - and Morelos needs to address - or my preference would be to sell him off for maximum fee and look for replacement. 

He just canny hack the niggling.

delparlane likes this

2 hours ago, dummiesoot said:

It won't stop them booking our players for fuck all compared to other cunts in Scottish football

There's a record on the line. I will expect it too be muliplied

Not sure i agree with SGs approach to this. Assuming we all know what's coming. Why draw attention to our record. 

2 hours ago, eskbankloyal said:

12 red cards last season was a complete shambles plus we had players subsequently suspended for incidents as well. 

Gerrard quite right to point out that it cost us dearly last season and any repeat this season will do the same. 

Why not keep it inhouse 

What purpose did it have with the media🤔

Bobby Hume likes this