Gerrard to get tough with indiscipline.

backup

1 hour ago, Bobby Hume said:

👍

Probably should have kept it in house as you say ..... changed days right enough ..... but as he has said it publicly now ..... I hope the players take heed and he does not need to exercise  his threat.

:UK:

Agree, no dubiety over indiscipline especially petulance (I hope) now in the public forum. I don’t expect to hear anything on this again this season as if questioned re any issues during the season he can refer to this pre season statement. Also puts pressure on the players to keep it together on the field of play as SG has drawn his red lines...

7 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

5 of those 12 red cards were never red cards.

McCrorie red card was nothing to do with discipline, neither was Arfields or Flanagans.

You talking about Arfield’s slide in to the Hearts keeper? 

14 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

5 of those 12 red cards were never red cards.

McCrorie red card was nothing to do with discipline, neither was Arfields or Flanagans.

Even discounting the ridiculous ones, that's at least seven that could have been avoided if we weren't so indisciplined.

That's still far too many.

3 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Every game next season that Clancy has stick money on Morelos to get booked, easy cash. 

Clancy is now a bear after his last OF performance 

He is covered now to do whatever he wants 

I will say right now. He will cost us the most next season. 

1 hour ago, eejay the dj said:

Why not keep it inhouse 

What purpose did it have with the media🤔

He hasn't said that much of note to be honest, just that he will be tougher on players who step out of line - he's openly said before that the number of crazy red cards we received last season was one factor that meant we ended last season with nothing. 

35 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

You're going to get red cards over a season, such as a last man challenge by McCrorie, that's football. 

Nobody was saying we had a major discipline problem when we got 9 red cards in the 07-08 season, albeit Cousin was correctly slated as has Morelos for some of his red cards.

I just don't think it's as bad as portrayed. Morelos and McGregor obviously need to get a grip and stop the kick outs but others players in the league get away with similar actions!

I understand the (somewhat) necessary ones such as McCrorie's, the ones that really piss me off are the red cards caused by unnecessary tackles or violent conduct. Other players in the league may get away with it, I don't really know, but if our players really think that then they should know that they're being refereed to a different standard and not give them any opportunity to send them off.

If the players do that then the only red cards we'll really have are the nonsensical ones which would give us far more credence when we argue about refereeing bias.

4 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Are you surprised? Look who started it.

Who started it has no bearing on the fact the majority seem to think anything Stevie says about getting tough with the players will make a blind bit of difference to the way the Refs hold us to a different standard. 

The way Rangers players are re-refereed After the game is finished and yellow and red cards handed out like confetti. 

Nothing will change until that wee nugget is sorted. 

1 hour ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Yes, although it was avoidable, I wouldn't put it on the same level as say Morelos against the scum or McGregor kicking out.

You're going to get red cards over a season, such as a last man challenge by McCrorie, that's football. 

Nobody was saying we had a major discipline problem when we got 9 red cards in the 07-08 season, albeit Cousin was correctly slated as has Morelos for some of his red cards.

I just don't think it's as bad as portrayed. Morelos and McGregor obviously need to get a grip and stop the kick outs but others players in the league get away with similar actions!

McGregor got away with the one on Ajer and when he frog splashed the Motherwell player the week before

2 hours ago, backup said:

like CB said.."He cant change the Refs so nothing will change". 

SG's statement raises an interesting question, do we have a serious discipline problem, or is it more persecution, perceived or otherwise by authorities ? 

No 

our discipline has been a problem and needs addressed 

no point in dressing it up

49 minutes ago, Reformation Bear said:

Its the bull elephant in the dressing room.   It needed to be confronted more effectively last season and wasn't.  

I think all SG is doing is registering to the media and by extension to the SFA, the match officials in Scotland and the abysmal compliance officer that improving the disciplinary record is a priority for Ranger and that as manager he is getting to grips with this.    In saying it in public maybe he is also preparing the ground for others at Rangers (DoF and Robertson) to get their faces firmly in front of SFA people and make it clear beyond doubt that the Club will not put up with refereeing or post-match adjudications where Rangers are treated differently to other clubs.   This is not just a one-way thing for Rangers, it requires the football officials to ensure there is no bias (intended or unintended) against Rangers.    

I can only hope that we are going to challenge every decision by that CO and panel. Also every bad unfair decision made by the game officials. 

While he could have kept it to the team and backroom staff he has said it publicly now and I assume that will be that. We do need to stop any silly needless cards from our players obviously as well. 

1 hour ago, eskbankloyal said:

He hasn't said that much of note to be honest, just that he will be tougher on players who step out of line - he's openly said before that the number of crazy red cards we received last season was one factor that meant we ended last season with nothing. 

Fair point Esk