Borna Barisic

1 hour ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

No idea --- how much Croatian football do  you follow? 

I don't watch any Croatian football, but I doubt many Croatian national team players even play in the Croatian league.

Here's an article from Croatia which says the left back position has been an issue for them: https://www.goal.com/hr/vijesti/portugal-hrvatska-livaja-santini-barisic/1pw77m7mjzkkq1c00a0umtz4l6

It says "Borna Barišić ostavio je vrlo dobar dojam, hrabro se nosio s igrački vrjednijim Portugalcima. Nekoliko puta lukavim je postavljanjem 'ulovio' Brumu i Nevesa u zaleđu, odradio vrlo hrabrih 90 minuta. Dokazao se izborniku, dodatno proširio konkurenciju na lijevom boku koji prestaje biti bolna točka naše reprezentacije..."

Put that into Google translate and it says "Borna Barišić left a very good impression, bravely wore the toy of the more prominent Portugalians. Several times I was tricked by placing 'catch' Brum and Neves in the hinterland, doing a very brave 90 minutes. It proved the menu, further expanded the competition on the left side that ceases to be the painful point of our team ..."

So I wasn’t exactly correct. I suppose they are saying that left back was an issue for them but now they actually have some competition for the place.

23 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Article appears to be from Sep 6, 2018  -- was also the time Lorna's competitor for the LB position Ivan Strinić , who played 6 games in Russia 2018, and who plays AC was diagnosed with a heart condition (Aug 18, 2018) --- so yeah they probably were struggling for a LB but thankfully both - Borna after surgery and Strinić, after a scare - are now fit. 

So we have a LB who competes with the AC Milan LB for a place n the national team - so pardon me but I'm not prepared to write him off just yet. 

Yeah I’m not completely writing him off either, still not totally comfortable with him though. Still needs to prove himself here. I added a little bit to my last post after I posted it but you must have quoted it by then. 

58 minutes ago, TMB said:

With Barisic and Tavernier as attacking full-backs we won’t need wingers.  Those two will overlap wide attackers and put quality crosses in to the opposition box all season long.   

True. Our wingers will be more in the mold of Stewart, Ojo & Murphy which = more goals. Candeias doesn't have that in his locker and Kent needs to learn it fast.

1 minute ago, ElBufalo20 said:

The hate you have for Barisic is dreadful.

He’s by no means the finished article but clearly the best left back at the club.

Give the guy a chance rather than continue with the negative shite.

Hate ? Don’t be ridiculous 

8 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

True. Our wingers will be more in the mold of Stewart, Ojo & Murphy which = more goals. Candeias doesn't have that in his locker and Kent needs to learn it fast.

Whether or not he needs to learn it, he is coming back the the club and as we saw last season, Gerrard has to play him whether he likes it or not due to the terms of engagement with Liverpool. Personally, i'm glad his hands were tied because there was a period soon into the league campaign last season where i'd have dropped him like a stone. However, he eventually came good and overall, produced pretty well for us, especially in the games against the better teams in the SPL (cup semi's excluded). Candeias is surplus and due to the Kent arrangement, and the signing of Jones, the blikelihood is that Murphy is too.

4 hours ago, ElBufalo20 said:

He’s by no means the finished article but clearly the best left back at the club.

Pretty sure He was wrong in his opinion of how shite tav was at the start of last season (was somebody with a red username anyway) an there’s every chance he’ll be wrong again

4 hours ago, ElBufalo20 said:

I’ve got to agree here, Barisic has been rank rotten in 90% of the games he’s played for us he always takes the safe option and passes backwards which is really frustrating to watch when you know he has it in his locker to punish teams. 

I will happily give him a few games this season because I’ve seen him against us and know what he has to offer but I just think he hasn’t got the heart to play for Rangers.

1 hour ago, Tomatasauce said:

Pretty sure He was wrong in his opinion of how shite tav was at the start of last season (was somebody with a red username anyway) an there’s every chance he’ll be wrong again

There’s only one red user name right enough , deal in facts mate , never slated Tav in my life 

On paper he is the best LB at the club.  He has shown that he can deliver a good cross ( and some dreadful ones).  He seems good enough in defence, I can't remember many glaring errors.

He has been hampered by injury, and has had to settle into a new country.  I think he definitely is a good player, just not sure it's going to work out for him here.  

If he can stay injury free, and get a prolonged run in the team, then he may go on to do really well for us. He needs to show it this year though.

2 hours ago, Rfc52 said:

It can take the foreign boys a while to settle at the club. It's not easy going from playing in front of about 400 people to 48,000 who.the majority scream at you for a pass that doesn't fond it's target or rolls out the park even when 3 up. We are probably the most demanding and hardest support to play in front of.

Some of his performances however have been poor. He's looked nervous and really unsure when he's played. 

He's had rave reviews since pre season has started so let's see how he goes.

A common sense post at 921 in morning pal..

you’ve changed!

14 hours ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Genuine question, what are you basing that on?

With cross after cross going into the box I'm intrigued to see how many headers, Jones, Stewart ojo etc win. Its one thing having quality players who can deliver quality crosses but expecting smallish players to win headers vs 6'2" + cebtrebacks who are probably 2 or 3 stone heavier is a non event for me. That's where I thought lafferty would excel for us last season and exactly why I think a 352 formation with a very tall cf would be a great move for us

13 minutes ago, rabc10000 said:

With cross after cross going into the box I'm intrigued to see how many headers, Jones, Stewart ojo etc win. Its one thing having quality players who can deliver quality crosses but expecting smallish players to win headers vs 6'2" + cebtrebacks who are probably 2 or 3 stone heavier is a non event for me. That's where I thought lafferty would excel for us last season and exactly why I think a 352 formation with a very tall cf would be a great move for us

The classic it was a gid baw there was nobody there 🙈😂