Andy Firth

DaleFo8

Rangers have today revealed they will retire the number 12 jersey at the end of the season in honour of the fans who have shown their unwavering support since the club went into administration.

Fans from Govan to America have really stepped up and shown their incredible backing in what has been a difficult last few months and supporters have made a positive difference to their beloved club by filling Ibrox and cheering on the team in times of adversity.

Rangers will now pay tribute to the supporters at Saturday’s game against Motherwell at Ibrox by dedicating the number 12 jersey to the global fanbase and there will be a card display with a personal message of thanks from boss Ally McCoist on every seat, paid for by the Rangers Supporters Assembly.

The first-team squad will also carry a banner of thanks to the supporters on to the pitch before kick off and a special souvenir programme will be available saluting the fans who have continued to back the club they love.

McCoist said: “Supporters are often referred to as the 12th man and now more than ever we are seeing the incredible backing of our global fanbase doing all they can to help Rangers in difficult circumstances. 

“To that end, we will pay tribute to our fans by retiring the No.12 jersey in their honour and dedicating it forever more to the supporters.

“I have been truly humbled by the way our fans have supported the club since we went into administration. 

“To a man our support has been everything that we thought it would be and more, and they have shown an allegiance to the club, to the staff and the players which has been unequalled.

“It is clear our supporters will march with us to the ends of the earth and I would like to personally thank each and every one of them for their on-going loyalty and commitment to the club we all love.”

Lee Wallace, the club’s current number 12, said: “The fans have been absolutely fantastic this season and handing over the number 12 jersey to them is the least I can do.

“I think it is a great gesture by the club as their support has been amazing, especially during the administration period, and the squad can’t thank them enough for their backing.”

2 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

A keeper had to wear it in Europe a few seasons ago IIRC but generally speaking it’s not a squad number that we allocate.

Our keeper? If it was i'll bet he wasn't too chuffed. Did we win? 

36 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

Rangers have today revealed they will retire the number 12 jersey at the end of the season in honour of the fans who have shown their unwavering support since the club went into administration.

Fans from Govan to America have really stepped up and shown their incredible backing in what has been a difficult last few months and supporters have made a positive difference to their beloved club by filling Ibrox and cheering on the team in times of adversity.

Rangers will now pay tribute to the supporters at Saturday’s game against Motherwell at Ibrox by dedicating the number 12 jersey to the global fanbase and there will be a card display with a personal message of thanks from boss Ally McCoist on every seat, paid for by the Rangers Supporters Assembly.

The first-team squad will also carry a banner of thanks to the supporters on to the pitch before kick off and a special souvenir programme will be available saluting the fans who have continued to back the club they love.

McCoist said: “Supporters are often referred to as the 12th man and now more than ever we are seeing the incredible backing of our global fanbase doing all they can to help Rangers in difficult circumstances. 

“To that end, we will pay tribute to our fans by retiring the No.12 jersey in their honour and dedicating it forever more to the supporters.

“I have been truly humbled by the way our fans have supported the club since we went into administration. 

“To a man our support has been everything that we thought it would be and more, and they have shown an allegiance to the club, to the staff and the players which has been unequalled.

“It is clear our supporters will march with us to the ends of the earth and I would like to personally thank each and every one of them for their on-going loyalty and commitment to the club we all love.”

Lee Wallace, the club’s current number 12, said: “The fans have been absolutely fantastic this season and handing over the number 12 jersey to them is the least I can do.

“I think it is a great gesture by the club as their support has been amazing, especially during the administration period, and the squad can’t thank them enough for their backing.”

Well, this is awkward....

It's just a number. The retiring of the number 13 at least has significance as a gesture and comes from a place of respect to those we lost in that horrible tragedy. 

As stated earlier, retiring 12 was just placating the fans at the time and it really means nothing. 

Quite like Firth's attitude though. He knows chances will be few and far between and really seems to appreciate how big this club is.