PC Gaming Build

DeanMK

Anyone ever tried their hand at building their own PC? Just bought all the parts for a new build. 

I've upgraded and stripped down several PCs but never built one from scratch. 

Any advice for a noob builder?

I'm fairly confident as I've watched countless hours of YouTube videos and tutorials and I generally think I have a decent base knowledge of PCs.

I’d agree with the above poster apart from your CPU cooler, if it’s aircooled install it before going in the case, if it’s a water cooler it can be easier to install the radiator and put the block on the cpu after the motherboards in the case.

If your not sure about compatibility go on pcpartpicker and that’s got a compatibility feature that makes sure you only pick parts that work together.

Take your time with the front panel connectors (the wee ones that go from the case to the motherboard) it’s easy to get one arse over tit.

most cases have the standoffs pre installed (keeps the motherboard off the case to stop it shorting out) make sure they are in before you put the board in or you could fuck yer board from the get go.

If in doubt google and your motherboard manual are yer best pals.

12 hours ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Easy as fuck.

Built 5 in the last few years.

If you have a window in your case, plan your wiring well as it will look like dog shit if you have wires flying all over the shop.

What parts you get out of interest?

Ryzen 7 2700x

MSI B450 Tomohawk

GeForce RTX 2060

2x8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200mhz RAM

Game Max 850w Modular PSU

Corsair MP510 480gb M.2 SSD

Got an old Seagate 2TB HDD that I'm going to chuck in too.

All going into an NZXT H500 case (white)

Just going to use the Wraith Cooler that comes with the CPU.

Will probably upgrade to one of those fancy water coolers in the near future.

39 minutes ago, DeanMK said:

Ryzen 7 2700x

MSI B450 Tomohawk

GeForce RTX 2060

2x8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200mhz RAM

Game Max 850w Modular PSU

Corsair MP510 480gb M.2 SSD

Got an old Seagate 2TB HDD that I'm going to chuck in too.

All going into an NZXT H500 case (white)

Just going to use the Wraith Cooler that comes with the CPU.

Will probably upgrade to one of those fancy water coolers in the near future.

Nice!

Almost exactly the same build I have most recently done. Difference is I have went for the Ryzen 2600, MSI Gaming Pro Carbon motherboad and a Rtx 2070.

Even have the same case as you, the H500 is a dream to cable with.

I wouldnt bother going with a watercooler. If you are looking to overclock, I would recommend the Noctua NH-D15. It is an air cooler, but actually performs better than most of the AIO Coolers at twice the price.

19 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Nice!

Almost exactly the same build I have most recently done. Difference is I have went for the Ryzen 2600, MSI Gaming Pro Carbon motherboad and a Rtx 2070.

I wouldnt bother going with a watercooler. If you are looking to overclock, I would recommend the Noctua NH-D15. It is an air cooler, but actually performs better than most of the AIO Coolers at twice the price.

Yeah, that was actually pretty much the dilemma I had when picking parts. Either going for the less powerful CPU and spending more on the GPU but I do a lot of work from home so I met in the middle. Can always upgrade in a couple of years when the prices become more reasonable.

14 minutes ago, DeanMK said:

Yeah, that was actually pretty much the dilemma I had when picking parts. Either going for the less powerful CPU and spending more on the GPU but I do a lot of work from home so I met in the middle. Can always upgrade in a couple of years when the prices become more reasonable.

Aye, quite like your build.

Will play anything maxed out at 1080p and is future proofed for years.

9 minutes ago, Steelydan1690 said:

Much does it  cost to build something like that if u dont mind me asking ?

Above build would be about 8-900 give or take  but prices can vary wildly. My youngest boy has a cheap pc that runs fortnite fine and is quick but cost under 300 quid whereas my oldest son has been chucking money at his and has easily put in close to 2k

On 12/07/2019 at 12:23, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Nice!

Are they still pricey?? For a cheaper alternative I would highly recommend the mid range cryorig air coolers

34 minutes ago, rabc10000 said:

Are they still pricey?? For a cheaper alternative I would highly recommend the mid range cryorig air coolers

Around the 75 quid mark I think.

The reviews are amazing though, think they are beating all the liquid coolers under about 200 quid. 

The guy in Priceless in Finnieston laughed at me when I told him I wanted a top-end cooler.

"Fuck sake, don't be daft... it's a cold country mate. I'd dae it if I was back in Pakistan but this is Scotland. Just get a basic heatsink and screw a few case fans on. Clean all the dust off every wee while and make sure you don't block anything."

He was right. Love people in shops who tell you the truth when they could make themselves a few quid by telling you a load of shite.

12 hours ago, theblueoysterbar said:

The guy in Priceless in Finnieston laughed at me when I told him I wanted a top-end cooler.

"Fuck sake, don't be daft... it's a cold country mate. I'd dae it if I was back in Pakistan but this is Scotland. Just get a basic heatsink and screw a few case fans on. Clean all the dust off every wee while and make sure you don't block anything."

He was right. Love people in shops who tell you the truth when they could make themselves a few quid by telling you a load of shite.

The stock coolers that come with CPUs are more than adequate.  When you first start learning about PCs people constantly go on about heat and making sure everything is cool but modern components are very energy efficient. 

Unless you're doing some serious overclocking there's no need for after market cooling. Stock cooler, good cable management and setting your fans up correctly for your case is all that's needed. The amount of people that just shove case fans inside their towers and don't even consider how the air is flowing is ridiculous.

Though admittedly some of the water coolers look pretty awesome.