PC Gaming Build

DeanMK

Remember I jumped the gun and went dual link to displayport- it’s not detecting the signal :anguish: I powered off both and disconnected cables and reconnected, as that’s a fix for some on YouTube.(think they had an Asus though) I take it I should just go dvi-dual link to dvi-dual link then and not be a tool?😂 or is there something I could try in control panel or nvidia experience first whilst (on single link 60Hz) @Iakona

8 hours ago, CR3 said:

Remember I jumped the gun and went dual link to displayport- it’s not detecting the signal :anguish: I powered off both and disconnected cables and reconnected, as that’s a fix for some on YouTube.(think they had an Asus though) I take it I should just go dvi-dual link to dvi-dual link then and not be a tool?😂 or is there something I could try in control panel or nvidia experience first whilst (on single link 60Hz) @Iakona

Just had a look at the one you bought on eBay, going by the description it's a DVI output and displayport input. So you'd have to have the DP plugged into the GPU.

Aye, go with the standard DVI to DVI(dual link)

If you're in doubt have a look on Amazon as the descriptions are usually alot better. Plus the reviews will highlight any issues 

46 minutes ago, Iakona said:

Just had a look at the one you bought on eBay, going by the description it's a DVI output and displayport input. So you'd have to have the DP plugged into the GPU.

Aye, go with the standard DVI to DVI(dual link)

If you're in doubt have a look on Amazon as the descriptions are usually alot better. Plus the reviews will highlight any issues 

Could you link me one mate? no doubt going to order some output or slightly wrong one again, can’t be trusted😂

19 hours ago, CR3 said:

Could you link me one mate? no doubt going to order some output or slightly wrong one again, can’t be trusted😂

Seems to be a lot of dodgy shite on ebay, but this one looks the part.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2M-DVI-D-Dual-Link-25-pin-24-1-Braided-Cable-With-Ferrite-Beads-DVi-2-Metre/184470974456?hash=item2af353aff8:g:0kYAAOSwCpRfKdSv

Quite long though, there are cheaper 1m ones but the descriptions and stock images don't give much confidence even though it says they are dual link... genuinely seems like a lot of the sellers have no idea what they are actually selling. 

• 2 weeks later...

Potential build in the planning stages. My mate has ordered a 3080 so I’m getting his Nvidia Strix GTX 1080ti for £260 next month then building around it, searched parts for good compatibility with it. The motherboard is a bit expensive imo though but does sounds good.

BF59AB15-7B7F-4C47-A802-0535C16D7333.jpeg

15 hours ago, CR3 said:

Potential build in the planning stages. My mate has ordered a 3080 so I’m getting his Nvidia Strix GTX 1080ti for £260 next month then building around it, searched parts for good compatibility with it. The motherboard is a bit expensive imo though but does sounds good.

I feel you could spend a little better here. (I'm assuming this is predominantly going to be a gaming machine)

I can't recommend the i7 8700k over a Ryzen 5 3600. The marginal boost in performance just isn't worth an extra 80 quid here... If you're prepared to spend that much then Ryzen 3700x would be the way to go for the extra cores and threads. The 5000 series is out early November, and whilst I'd say hold off... I'm not convinced it will be a hugely better option in terms of price vs performance. Only the benchmarks will confirm that.

Why do you need such an expensive Mobo? Is there a reason you've selected that? If it's future proofing you'll be disappointed. Again you could easily save some significant money here.

The RAM is fine if you are trying to future proof a little, but 16gb I still more than enough. It's up to you, but if the price difference between 16gb and 32gb allowed you to jump up a tier on the GPU, then pick 16gb. Though shop around with different brands here... you may get more for less with timings etc.

PSU if you wan to stick with corsair's the TX-M series is cheaper but still really good build quality. In some areas it uses better quality components such as Japanese capacitators. 

What case is it? You can pick up a lot of good quality cases for half the price of that Phanteks one.

For 1200 I'd be looking for a build with a 3070 instead of a pre-owned 1080ti. You could potentially achieve it for less..

15 hours ago, CR3 said:

I picked up an maximums hero x MOBO with a 8700k and 16GB or ddr4 (can’t remember the clock speed) for £300 on gumtree, defo a noticeable improvement on my 4790k.

point being you can get some good deals if you don’t mind buying second hand.

3 hours ago, Iakona said:

I feel you could spend a little better here. (I'm assuming this is predominantly going to be a gaming machine)

I can't recommend the i7 8700k over a Ryzen 5 3600. The marginal boost in performance just isn't worth an extra 80 quid here... If you're prepared to spend that much then Ryzen 3700x would be the way to go for the extra cores and threads. The 5000 series is out early November, and whilst I'd say hold off... I'm not convinced it will be a hugely better option in terms of price vs performance. Only the benchmarks will confirm that.

Why do you need such an expensive Mobo? Is there a reason you've selected that? If it's future proofing you'll be disappointed. Again you could easily save some significant money here.

The RAM is fine if you are trying to future proof a little, but 16gb I still more than enough. It's up to you, but if the price difference between 16gb and 32gb allowed you to jump up a tier on the GPU, then pick 16gb. Though shop around with different brands here... you may get more for less with timings etc.

PSU if you wan to stick with corsair's the TX-M series is cheaper but still really good build quality. In some areas it uses better quality components such as Japanese capacitators. 

What case is it? You can pick up a lot of good quality cases for half the price of that Phanteks one.

For 1200 I'd be looking for a build with a 3070 instead of a pre-owned 1080ti. You could potentially achieve it for less..

I was tempted of going Ryzen and mSi motherboard as Linus says intel have ‘dropped the ball’ recently. The motherboard and RAM were actually all about future-proofing but I guess I don’t know enough if that was the case. 32GB probably overkill then on the RAM side of things, think I was ‘window shopping’ and started to get carried away because I’m not actually spending my cash yet!

*All my results were google and generic PC sites telling me which CPU/Motherboard is ‘best to use with the 1080ti’ simply..* 

Tbh the ball only got rolling on this whole thing when offered the 1080Ti and it seemed like my mate was giving me a good deal. Guessing an RTX 3060 is the realistic one to put head-to-head with it as I could have got one of those instead new when out. Whole thing is becoming a bit of a headache

29 minutes ago, CR3 said:

I was tempted of going Ryzen 7 and mSi motherboard. Maybe 32GB is overkill on the RAM side of things, think I was ‘window shopping’ and started to get carried away because I’m not actually spending my cash yet!

Tbh the ball only got rolling on this whole thing when offered the 1080Ti and it seemed like my mate was giving me a good deal?

Have a look on pcpartpicker, it will keep you right regarding compatibility too.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/

£260 for a 1080ti is a really good price, they tend to shift between £300-£400 at the moment(card dependant). But scaling the PC in the right areas by not over spending on mobo's, cpu's, cases etc means you could have a better GPU with newer tech(ray tracing) for the same price or even cheaper than the price you totalled above. Likewise, if you're happy with a 1080ti, scaling just means even bigger savings!

The GPU is nearly always the biggest improvement you can make for gaming, assuming the other parts don't bottleneck it ofcourse.

The argument for 8 core CPU's is as hot as it's ever been. However I don't see 6 core CPU's being redundant any time soon regardless of the Series X and PS5

• 4 weeks later...

Guys, looking for a wee bit of advice if you don't mind?

Putting together a wee machine for my grandson(7), nothing mega but something he can play Fortnite and some other games on.

He plays on his Xbox at the moment but wants to use a PC like those Youtubers:lol:

Anyway, so far I have the following to put together:

AMD Ryzen 3 3100 Quad Core 3.9GHz

Asus B450M-K Motherboard 

16 Gb DDR4 RAM

500 Gb SSD

I've tried to keep the cost down for his first machine but struggling to decide a decent GPU to go with this, any suggestions?

I had thought about a GTX 1650 4Gb but wasn't sure.

TIA

2 hours ago, LochendBilly said:

Putting together a wee machine for my grandson(7), nothing mega but something he can play Fortnite and some other games on.

He plays on his Xbox at the moment but wants to use a PC like those Youtubers:lol:

Asus B450M-K Motherboard 

16 Gb DDR4 RAM

500 Gb SSD

I've tried to keep the cost down for his first machine but struggling to decide a decent GPU to go with this, any suggestions?

TIA

Just a wee mention, I think that board can take an M.2 drive instead of sata ssd. 

I'm no up on graphics cards now, so I'll no comment on that.

10 hours ago, Swally said:

Just a wee mention, I think that board can take an M.2 drive instead of sata ssd. 

I'm no up on graphics cards now, so I'll no comment on that.

Thanks for this mate, I've no idea what an M.2 drive is but will Google it, pity I have already bought the ssd.

Edit: Just Googled it and wish I had known this before hand. :unsure:

1 minute ago, LochendBilly said:

Thanks for this mate, I've no idea what an M.2 drive is but will Google it, pity I have already bought the ssd.

If you've already bought it don't worry about it mate, it's just a different type of ssd which in most cases gives you a wee bit better performance. 

12 hours ago, LochendBilly said:

Asus B450M-K Motherboard 

16 Gb DDR4 RAM

500 Gb SSD

TIA

How much you looking to spend?

Id say a decent match if you are just looking at running esports games/fortnite (not very demanding on the GPU) then you should look at AMD RX 580 Or nvidia 1060 (get the 6gb card not the 3gb)

Both about £150 I think or about £100 second hand.

edit - https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1650-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB/4039vs3639

link comparing the 2 cards.

3 minutes ago, Bigdave30 said:

How much you looking to spend?

Id say a decent match if you are just looking at running esports games/fortnite (not very demanding on the GPU) then you should look at AMD RX 580 Or nvidia 1060 (get the 6gb card not the 3gb)

Both about £150 I think or about £100 second hand.

edit - https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1650-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB/4039vs3639

link comparing the 2 cards.

About 150 would be enough as I don't want to throw money at his first machine.

16 minutes ago, LochendBilly said:

About 150 would be enough as I don't want to throw money at his first machine.

You won’t go far wrong with any 3 of they cards, the one you suggested is newer and slightly cheaper, the 2 I’ve suggested are slightly more expensive new but give you a bit more performance 👌🏻

the link I sent you can be used to compare any 2 cards you like the look of to help you decide what’s best

55 minutes ago, Bigdave30 said:

You won’t go far wrong with any 3 of they cards, the one you suggested is newer and slightly cheaper, the 2 I’ve suggested are slightly more expensive new but give you a bit more performance 👌🏻

the link I sent you can be used to compare any 2 cards you like the look of to help you decide what’s best

Thanks mate, very helpful.

56 minutes ago, LochendBilly said:

Thanks mate, very helpful.

One last thing I’d suggest is to fire all the parts you are choosing into PC part picker or any wattage calculator to make sure that the power supply unit you choose has some headroom against your systems total power consumption. Aim for about 20% 

eg if your total system power wattage is 300w make sure your PSU is rated for at least 360w.

On 04/11/2020 at 11:46, Bigdave30 said:

One last thing I’d suggest is to fire all the parts you are choosing into PC part picker or any wattage calculator to make sure that the power supply unit you choose has some headroom against your systems total power consumption. Aim for about 20% 

eg if your total system power wattage is 300w make sure your PSU is rated for at least 360w.

On top of that I always overdid the wattage of my PSUs just in case I upgraded or added component in the future. Like you say it's always best to up the wattage, never skimp on a PSU as well, very important part of your PC.

22 minutes ago, Swally said:

On top of that I always overdid the wattage of my PSUs just in case I upgraded or added component in the future. Like you say it's always best to up the wattage, never skimp on a PSU as well, very important part of your PC.

Bronze rated minimum I’d say, stay away from the ‘fly by night’ Chinese ones unless you are a big fan of house fires 😂

What a fud I am!

Put the pc together minus the GPU which i'll buy later in the week, meantime use onboard graphics to set it all up.

Hooked up the monitor and pressed the on button...beep, fans on, led's all lit but nothing on the monitor.

Loads of troubleshooting later, still no further forward. :unsure:

About to send components back then Google to the rescue, I had no idea that most Ryzen CPU do not have graphics and that a discrete GPU must be used. never heard of that in the P3 days :lol:

37 minutes ago, Bigdave30 said:

Bronze rated minimum I’d say, stay away from the ‘fly by night’ Chinese ones unless you are a big fan of house fires 😂

Knew a guy that spent a lot of money on a pc but bought his power supply for about 7 quid off of ebay.

Doesn't make sense to me

3 minutes ago, ger4life_1872 said:

Anybody able to give me a  bit of advice , was thinking of getting a laptop to play football manager (dont really have any other use for it but probably use it for coming on here etc ) is this black Friday deal decent and would it do the job ok

Screenshot_20201110-200154_Samsung Internet.jpg

I've shown my mum this same laptop for a day to day use.

I don't think it has the performance to play FM. It might play it but not to any great speed or have a lot of leagues loaded.