PC Gaming Build

DeanMK

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Tak3rNo1 said:

Any good prices going on RAM? Just realised i'm still running on 8GB :lol: Could do with a good boost to 16GB

I use the Crucial advisor tool to check what ram is compatible with my pc. You can either buy directly from them or get it cheaper on amazon or ebuyer. 

• 1 year later...

Looking for a bit of insight. Got a new PC around 2 years ago from advise on here. I dint know why but WiFi speed is very slow. In the same room as a my PC my phone will get upto 120mbps. The PC will get an absolute max of 7meg. I've thought about making an ether net cable or data extension but that would involve drilling holes all over the house. The only thing I can think of is either there's data hungry programmes running in the back ground or the actual WiFi hardware is poor. Any advice? 

Also drops completely quite a lot.

3 minutes ago, EatDolphins said:

Looking for a bit of insight. Got a new PC around 2 years ago from advise on here. I dint know why but WiFi speed is very slow. In the same room as a my PC my phone will get upto 120mbps. The PC will get an absolute max of 7meg. I've thought about making an ether net cable or data extension but that would involve drilling holes all over the house. The only thing I can think of is either there's data hungry programmes running in the back ground or the actual WiFi hardware is poor. Any advice? 

Also drops completely quite a lot.

Easy fix would be to use homeplugs.

Basically allows you to run Ethernet via your powerlines, so no need to drill etc.

No idea why your wifi is running so slow though? how is your WIFI connected to your PC? Built into motherboard, PCI-E card or USB dongle?

1 hour ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Basically allows you to run Ethernet via your powerlines, so no need to drill etc.

No idea why your wifi is running so slow though? how is your WIFI connected to your PC? Built into motherboard, PCI-E card or USB dongle?

It's built in mate. I've actually got a power line adapter in my daughters room about 6 feet away from the PC. Her room is a bit of a black spot. They don't work very well anyway. I was thinking of maybe buying a plug in dongle.

13 hours ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

What are u using the internet for?? If it's for streaming movies etc have u thought about using your mobile as a personal hotspot? Works a treat for me when the weans in hospital. Just start up the portable hotspot and she can flay her games online with no problems at all. Still get about 200mbs downloads on her laptop 

If not reckon it's time to get the drill out.

• 2 weeks later...

Im either going to buy a mid to top range pre built in the next few months or attempt to build one myself.  Been watching a lot of YouTube videos on it and it doesn’t look hard at all.  Infact some wee annoying English dude with specs makes it look an absolute doddle.  

3 minutes ago, GOAT said:

Im either going to buy a mid to top range pre built in the next few months or attempt to build one myself.  Been watching a lot of YouTube videos on it and it doesn’t look hard at all.  Infact some wee annoying English dude with specs makes it look an absolute doddle.  

It’s a piece a piss 

53 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

It’s a piece a piss 

It’s like building Lego, only problem you can really run into is compatibility and making sure yous PSU is powerful enough for your setup, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/ has a tool for this, gives you a rough output wattage and only lets you pick compatible parts as you go through the build,  just make sure you give yourself some headroom on the PSU by about 20%

On 18/10/2022 at 14:21, GOAT said:

Build it mate. You can put the work in for a much better quality build and have the freedom to choose whatever specs/design you want. It can be fidgety with some of the wee cables but generally a breeze to build.

• 2 months later...

Question I hope someone can help me with. I replaced my power unit with a modular one, plugged everything in exactly as it was with the old unit and it won't switch on.

Anybody got any ideas about what it could be I've done wrong before I have to get a multimeter out?

The main problem is that the motherboard isn't getting power, no LEDs come on, there's usually a green one on the motherboard that's on all the time before switching on. But I don't know if hard drives etc are getting any either. I've checked everything is properly plugged in and the kettle lead is definitely supplying power.

13 hours ago, theblueoysterbar said:

Question I hope someone can help me with. I replaced my power unit with a modular one, plugged everything in exactly as it was with the old unit and it won't switch on.

Anybody got any ideas about what it could be I've done wrong before I have to get a multimeter out?

The main problem is that the motherboard isn't getting power, no LEDs come on, there's usually a green one on the motherboard that's on all the time before switching on. But I don't know if hard drives etc are getting any either. I've checked everything is properly plugged in and the kettle lead is definitely supplying power.

You'll hate this, but the PSU's own switch is definitely on?  And no weird voltage setting on it?

17 hours ago, theblueoysterbar said:

I would double check that the 16pin motherboard connection is properly pushed in. I had a similar problem and it was due to this not being pushed fully in, it's stiff as hell.

Also, just want to check, you used the modular cables that came with the PSU, you didn't reuse old cables from a different PSU?

There is a chance that the PSU that you have is just faulty.

Building your own PC is great fun when everything is working. The moment one component starts to play up, the fun stops.

8 hours ago, blaudrup said:

You'll hate this, but the PSU's own switch is definitely on?  And no weird voltage setting on it?

4 hours ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

I would double check that the 16pin motherboard connection is properly pushed in. I had a similar problem and it was due to this not being pushed fully in, it's stiff as hell.

Also, just want to check, you used the modular cables that came with the PSU, you didn't reuse old cables from a different PSU?

There is a chance that the PSU that you have is just faulty.

Building your own PC is great fun when everything is working. The moment one component starts to play up, the fun stops.

Cheers, had a look at it again and it's none of these things. Think I'll just take it to the guy in Priceless tomorrow.

2 hours ago, rabc10000 said:

Give this a try before anything just to make sure your PSU is not faulty

https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025085372-How-to-Test-a-PSU-Power-Supply-Unit-

Nobody is sticking a paperclip in a power unit plug then connecting it to the mains.

7 hours ago, blaudrup said:

Nobody is sticking a paperclip in a power unit plug then connecting it to the mains.

Shows how much you know and considering that's direct from Corsair and one of the biggest PSU manufacturers I guess they know fuck all as well. Makes u wonder why they give u the wee clip with top end psus.

out of interest in a custom loop how would you go about priming the pump and bleeding the system to make sure everything is working fine with no leaks if your not going to do this with the psu

2 hours ago, aird said:

To be fair to rab, that's one his more sensible posts across this forum :lol:

It's an actual part of fault finding, I've done it a few times. 

Been their a long time ago, pulling ram and CPUs etc constantly only to find out 3 or 4 hours later that it's a fried psu

Everyone who builds or messes with pcs should have either one of these

Screenshot_2023-01-04-10-50-14-79_b5f6883d2c20a96c53babc0b4ac88108.jpg

Screenshot_2023-01-04-10-50-06-63_b5f6883d2c20a96c53babc0b4ac88108.jpg

4 hours ago, rabc10000 said:

Been their a long time ago, pulling ram and CPUs etc constantly only to find out 3 or 4 hours later that it's a fried psu

Everyone who builds or messes with pcs should have either one of these

Screenshot_2023-01-04-10-50-14-79_b5f6883d2c20a96c53babc0b4ac88108.jpg

Screenshot_2023-01-04-10-50-06-63_b5f6883d2c20a96c53babc0b4ac88108.jpg

These are far superior options than trying to jam in a paperclip and turning on the mains power.