PC Gaming Build

DeanMK

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a new WD Blue 500GB Ssd. Prob be my last upgrade to this build after my memory upgrade to 16gb. Put it in and couldn't get sata power to reach 😂. Had to buy a power splitter. Anyone used them? My psu cables are at my folks so I couldn't use one of them.

39 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

My sons now asking for one of these, mainly for fortnite and call of duty warzone, anyone recommend any decent prebuilt ones that will run most games for under £500? Preferably with the gaming keyboard and mouse? 

@Jamie0202

You might struggle getting an entire system for £500 to play cod. Could save by just getting a regular keyboard. Gaming keyboards won't really have any benefits if he's just starting out. 

4 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

My sons now asking for one of these, mainly for fortnite and call of duty warzone, anyone recommend any decent prebuilt ones that will run most games for under £500? Preferably with the gaming keyboard and mouse? 

@Jamie0202

The one I posted a few pages ago is still a good shout but it is a bit over your budget and prices have went up as well since I posted it I (I'm assuming because of covid?). I also didn't configure it with a keybord or mouse so you can add these in seperately.

To get closer to your budget you could drop the graphics card down to a 1650 (which is still capable of playing COD with high settings at 60fps) and remove the SSD altogether but if it was me I would rather not. An SSD makes such a big difference to the responsiveness of a PC and people always recommend when buying a PC for gaming to get the best GPU you can afford right from the outset.

57 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

The one I posted a few pages ago is still a good shout but it is a bit over your budget and prices have went up as well since I posted it I (I'm assuming because of covid?). I also didn't configure it with a keybord or mouse so you can add these in seperately.

To get closer to your budget you could drop the graphics card down to a 1650 (which is still capable of playing COD with high settings at 60fps) and remove the SSD altogether but if it was me I would rather not. An SSD makes such a big difference to the responsiveness of a PC and people always recommend when buying a PC for gaming to get the best GPU you can afford right from the outset.

Cheers mate, another stupid question, I take it for these you just open a steam account and buy the games you want?

Cheers mate, another stupid question, I take it for these you just open a steam account and buy the games you want?

It's unfortunately a little more complicated than that. Right now everything's a bit fractured because all the main publishers have their own digital stores and with that comes some exclusivity. I.e the latest CoD's for example aren't on Steam. They are only Battle net which is Activision's digital platform.

• Epic have the Epic game stores
  • Rockstar have the Rockstar Game Launcher/Social club
  • EA have Origin (although they are releasing some games on Steam again, their big releases will probably still be timed exclusives for Origin though)
  • Ubisoft have Uplay. (They sell on Steam and Epic, but they still require you to download Uplay)
  • Valve have Steam
  • Activision have Battle Net

Beyond that you have digital store like Greenman gaming and Humble Bundle who are 3rd party resellers, basically they sell game keys that can then be redeemed on the above store fronts. Lastly is the the grey key sellers like CDKeys, G2A, Gamivo and what not - basically the digital version of The Barras.

13 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

@Iakona has pretty much covered it. Obviously on PC there are other ways to obtain games but don't tell @Terry Hurlock Loyal but that's more or less for single player games only. 

Note as well that the Epic Store give away games for free every couple of weeks it seems and some of them are quite decent (GTA V was free a couple of weeks ago) . I think the other stores sometimes do the same but I've less experience with them. Also the two games you mentioned are both free as well (kinda). Fortnite battle royale mode has always been free but you can purchase cosmetic upgrades with real money (don't see the point myself but kids are different). COD battle royale mode (called Warzone) is also free. The full game obviously costs money but Warzone is where it's at right now. 

1 hour ago, Jamie0202 said:

@Iakona has pretty much covered it. Obviously on PC there are other ways to obtain games but don't tell @Terry Hurlock Loyal but that's more or less for single player games only. 

Note as well that the Epic Store give away games for free every couple of weeks it seems and some of them are quite decent (GTA V was free a couple of weeks ago) . I think the other stores sometimes do the same but I've less experience with them. Also the two games you mentioned are both free as well (kinda). Fortnite battle royale mode has always been free but you can purchase cosmetic upgrades with real money (don't see the point myself but kids are different). COD battle royale mode (called Warzone) is also free. The full game obviously costs money but Warzone is where it's at right now. 

So open loads of different accounts for the publishers games? Forgetting @Terry Hurlock Loyal can you pm me where I can get the games?

9 hours ago, Iakona said:

It's unfortunately a little more complicated than that. Right now everything's a bit fractured because all the main publishers have their own digital stores and with that comes some exclusivity. I.e the latest CoD's for example aren't on Steam. They are only Battle net which is Activision's digital platform.

• Epic have the Epic game stores
  • Rockstar have the Rockstar Game Launcher/Social club
  • EA have Origin (although they are releasing some games on Steam again, their big releases will probably still be timed exclusives for Origin though)
  • Ubisoft have Uplay. (They sell on Steam and Epic, but they still require you to download Uplay)
  • Valve have Steam
  • Activision have Battle Net

Beyond that you have digital store like Greenman gaming and Humble Bundle who are 3rd party resellers, basically they sell game keys that can then be redeemed on the above store fronts. Lastly is the the grey key sellers like CDKeys, G2A, Gamivo and what not - basically the digital version of The Barras.

Cheers mate, this is all good to know, I’ve found a guy who builds them from scratch and he’s coming back to me today with a price, if I post the specs would you guys be able to tell me if it’s decent? 

So open loads of different accounts for the publishers games? Forgetting @Terry Hurlock Loyal can you pm me where I can get the games?

Some people have been known to torrent games using utorrent. Obviously comes with risks as it's not exactly legal.

Once the guy gets back to you post the specs and we'll let you know how good it is. 

8 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

Some people have been known to torrent games using utorrent. Obviously comes with risks as it's not exactly legal.

Once the guy gets back to you post the specs and we'll let you know how good it is. 

Asked for something capable of running fortnite, COD etc and he’s quoted me for £400 -

Asrock H310CM-HDV/M.2 motherboard (new with warranty)

- Intel Core i3-9100f quad-core CPU (new with warranty)

- Gigabyte nVidia GTX 1060 3GB

- 240GB WD Green SSD drive for system and apps (new with warranty)

- 1TB Toshiba P300 HDD for storing data (new with warranty)

- 8GB (2x4GB) HyperX Fury DDR4 memory (new with warranty)

Aerocool Integrator Bronze 500W power supply (new with warranty)

- EG GI-X2 CPU Cooler with LED ring (new with warranty)

- RGB case with clear panel

- Wired keyboard and mouse (new with warranty)

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit operating system

got a decent monitor already and will pick up gaming keyboard and mouse for about £40 on Amazon 

10 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Asked for something capable of running fortnite, COD etc and he’s quoted me for £400 -

got a decent monitor already and will pick up gaming keyboard and mouse for about £40 on Amazon 

Fuck knows how he's doing that for £400 but aye that will be fine for COD and Fortinite at 1080p. £400 is brilliant value. I'd still be tempted to upgrade the GPU but that's just me as I'd want more than 3GB of vRAM. A lot of modern games use more vRAM than that. There's a 6GB version of the GTX 1060 which shouldn't be much more expensive. For COD and Fortnite you'll probably get away with it though.

5 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

Fuck knows how he's doing that for £400 but aye that will be fine for COD and Fortinite at 1080p. £400 is brilliant value. I'd still be tempted to upgrade the GPU but that's just me as I'd want more than 3GB of vRAM. A lot of modern games use more vRAM than that. There's a 6GB version of the GTX 1060 which shouldn't be much more expensive. For COD and Fortnite you'll probably get away with it though.

Cheers mate, thanks for reviewing its good to know. I’ll go ahead and order it, wee man will be over the moon with it, it’s all he’s went on about 

7 hours ago, Jamie0202 said:

It's about right for all the parts since the GPU is likely second hand, I'm also assuming he's just buying a windows 10 license for under a tenner from CJS or something. Not much room for profit though! Either the builder is doing Brian Fantana a solid by charging for parts only.. or he can get parts VAT free or something. Don't really know why he's added on a 3rd party CPU cooler for the i3 though, admittedly it's only worth like 10-15 quid but still..

It's a very good starting point especially at that price. It will easily allow the kid to get up and running. Though beware, if it's a success and the kid gets serious... expect to have to upgrade about 90% of that machine in the next year or 2. Especially since a lot of kids thesedays want to be able to stream their games to Twitch and what not. You've made the right choice going for the cheaper option though as kids can go either way... My nephew spent like 2 years pestering his mum for a gaming PC and when he finally got it, he used it for a few months then went back to consoles because they were easier to use and his friends didn't have PC's.

9 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Two wee upgrades that you could make if you can stretch slightly is try and get 16GB RAM instead of 8 and see if he could get you up to an i5 instead of 3, then you’re well on your way to running things fine.

51 minutes ago, CR3 said:

Two wee upgrades that you could make if you can stretch slightly is try and get 16GB RAM instead of 8 and see if he could get you up to an i5 instead of 3, then you’re well on your way to running things fine.

For the price of an i5 he'd be better going with a Ryzen.  Plus that's like an extra 130/140 quids worth of upgrades, so it's quite a big stretch!

Even pre-owned Intel CPU's are not good value.

When building a new PC for the purposes of gaming you can constantly keep talking yourself in to stretching the budget here, stretching the budget there. If I posted a build with an RTX 2060 there would be someone coming a long telling me to push the budget a bit for an RTX 2070. If I posted the RTX 2070 someone would tell me to get the super version. Same with the cpu. If I posted an i5 someone would tell me to push the budget to an i7. I even suggested an upgrade in my own reply to @Brian Fantana

It never stops.

Eventually you have to settle for what you are willing to pay as long as it will do the job you want it to. That desktop for £400 is fantastic value and will do the job. Obviously not at 4k on ultra with a gazillion frames per second but at 1080p that machine will exceed 60fps on COD with a mixture of high and ultra settings.

Im not having a go at anyone suggesting upgrades BTW as like I said I done the very same thing in my reply. Just pointing out that the very nature of PC gaming with the sheer variety of parts you can upgrade means that there will always be something better to upgrade to if you're willing to spend a wee bit extra. Eventually you have to draw a line.

Cheers for all the advice guys, I’ve ordered it now and gets delivered this week. 

as long as it runs the games I mentioned he’ll be chuffed to bits with it. This will be a bit of a project for him as well, he’s been reading up loads and asking me questions which I have no clue on so I think he’ll probably add and modify the PC as it goes along, probably ask for parts for Christmas etc. I did consider spending a bit more but as Jamie said, you need to draw a line somewhere.

also means I get my PS4 back which is a bonus. 

10 minutes ago, j1mgg said:

Was just going to ask what the reason for him wanting a pc was, if it was so he can use a keyboard and mouse, you can do that on PS4, and the other way, if he has already got use to using a controller, he can use that on the pc.

:lol: nah mate he's been reading about PC builds and stuff and with a lot of games being cross platform now he's wanting to get the gaming PC as a sort of hobby going forward where he can expand it and stuff. He's been using the keyboard and mouse set up on Fortnite on PS4 and he's fucking good at it, i can't control a thing with that set up, far prefer the control pads.

2 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Cheers for all the advice guys, I’ve ordered it now and gets delivered this week. 

as long as it runs the games I mentioned he’ll be chuffed to bits with it. This will be a bit of a project for him as well, he’s been reading up loads and asking me questions which I have no clue on so I think he’ll probably add and modify the PC as it goes along, probably ask for parts for Christmas etc. I did consider spending a bit more but as Jamie said, you need to draw a line somewhere.

also means I get my PS4 back which is a bonus. 

It will absolutely breeze Fortnite . COD Warzone may struggle a little with 8gb of RAM though as I'd expect it'll want to run beyond that, but this is a very easy upgrade to do yourself if it's required.(also a great place for kid to do  his first upgrade) Only other thing that might be problematic with COD is the VRAM on the Graphics card like Jamie said. You might need to have to turn down the texture quality to compensate. Since the kids coming from console gaming he probably won't even care though.

What Jamie is saying about upgrades is true, but if the builder can squeeze in another 8gb of Ram for an extra 40 notes, i'd seriously thinking about taking him up on it. Especially as I've just noticed the Motherboard only has 2 Ram slots. With 16gb of Ram that machine will breeze mostly everything he tries to play on a mix of Med/High.

@Brian Fantana I have just checked the benchmarks for CoD Warzone(I have never played it), if that's a game your kid wants to play seriously get back in touch with builder and get a quote for 16gb of Ram instead of 8gb. Its regularly using around 11gb, so naturally 8gb will not cope well with that, it'll be like a slideshow at times.

1 hour ago, Iakona said:

@Brian Fantana I have just checked the benchmarks for CoD Warzone(I have never played it), if that's a game your kid wants to play seriously get back in touch with builder and get a quote for 16gb of Ram instead of 8gb. Its regularly using around 11gb, so naturally 8gb will not cope well with that, it'll be like a slideshow at times.

cheers mate, i'll get in touch