Who Else Now Needs To Go?

Apologies if there’s already a thread, though couldn’t see one. 

Was doing the numbers on just how massive our first team squad is.  If, as expected, Helander signs, we’ll have 36 players on our books (including those already out on loan i.e. the McCrorie brothers, Rossiter and Herrera).

This doesn’t include Lewis Mayo, Stephen Kelly, Josh McPake or obviously the potential re-signing of Kent/other new players.

Understandably, we’ve all been asking ‘what do we need?’ in terms of adding to the squad.

But as the squad has evolved and taken shape, who do people now think we really need rid of, both financially and for squad harmony?

There are obvious ones such as Dodoo, Dorrans, Grezda, Hardie, Herrera (permanently), Holt, Lafferty. That’s 7 stick-ons,  but who else should join the list?

Personally, as much as I like the guy, I do think Murphy needs let go of, especially with so many plastic pitches in the league and how an ACL injury will have impacted his style/mentality. 

Would be sad to see Candeias go but can see why it’s necessary, especially with his inconsistency of end-product.  And then either Fod or Alnwick for me.

But who else?  Do we really need Tav, Polster, Flanagan, Barasic and Halliday for fullback positions?

20 minutes ago, BearInTheToon said:

Apologies if there’s already a thread, though couldn’t see one. 

Was doing the numbers on just how massive our first team squad is.  If, as expected, Helander signs, we’ll have 36 players on our books (including those already out on loan i.e. the McCrorie brothers, Rossiter and Herrera).

This doesn’t include Lewis Mayo, Stephen Kelly, Josh McPake or obviously the potential re-signing of Kent/other new players.

Understandably, we’ve all been asking ‘what do we need?’ in terms of adding to the squad.

But as the squad has evolved and taken shape, who do people now think we really need rid of, both financially and for squad harmony?

There are obvious ones such as Dodoo, Dorrans, Grezda, Hardie, Herrera (permanently), Holt, Lafferty. That’s 7 stick-ons,  but who else should join the list?

Personally, as much as I like the guy, I do think Murphy needs let go of, especially with so many plastic pitches in the league and how an ACL injury will have impacted his style/mentality. 

Would be sad to see Candeias go but can see why it’s necessary, especially with his inconsistency of end-product.  And then either Fod or Alnwick for me.

But who else?  Do we really need Tav, Polster, Flanagan, Barasic and Halliday for fullback positions?

:lol:

I want you to tell me why it's necessary that Candeias is let go of aswell 

12 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Is this a real question? If so, the answer is yes. 

Looking at the options we have for full back positions actually makes me feel dizzy.

We need better options definitely but not less of them, which is what the op seems to be weirdly implying 

34 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Is this a real question? If so, the answer is yes. 

Merely setting a question to create a debate/get people’s opinions mate. Based on Gerrard’s own comments, it takes us beyond the 2 players per position objective he’s set.

42 minutes ago, BearInTheToon said:

Merely setting a question to create a debate/get people’s opinions mate. Based on Gerrard’s own comments, it takes us beyond the 2 players per position objective he’s set.

Halliday is a utility player, not just a left back. Same with Polster. 

1 hour ago, graeme_4 said:

Halliday is a utility player, not just a left back. Same with Polster. 

AH is also valuable to Gerrard in the dressing room and behind the scenes, ATM I think TBH he’s the best LB we have just now at the club although it looks like Barasic is favourite right now 

Rossiter, dorrans, herrera, grezda, lafferty, dodoo and holt for sure. Would think we can get a fee for lafferty and grezda but the rest would be happy to just get off the books. There's only a few pitches in the SPL that are plastic and with Europe and cups etc Murphy could be a big player for us this year. Can see him doing well especially in home games where we need to unlock defences. 

Andy halliday is a player Rangers need to keep. He lives and breathes Rangers and when asked upon has come into the team and did a good shift, rarely let the team down.

Even harder when you do not get a run of games to get to peak condition and form. 

Candeias has been a great servant. I hope he stays his last year and wins some silverware with us. 

I do agree that we have far too many players needing gone. It could be the difference between us getting 1 or 2 players of quality when the wages are freed up.