Centre back pairing

1 minute ago, DBBTB said:

We haven’t spent 3 million on Helander for him to sit on the bench.

I agree but I think this early and Gerrard said he a bit behind on pre season I don’t think he will play much n the next few weeks. Totally agree he will be a first pick when fully fit. 👍

All of the players in our strongest 11 last year apart from possibly Candias has very strong claims to be part of our first 11 this year. So when their was talk of bringing in a few players that were good enough to command first team places I knew one or 2 would be squeezed out to make way for these new players. 

The fact that it's looking like it's the Goldson Katic partnership that's being potentially broken up is a little sad for me. Even if a new partnership proves to be even better. 

Edmundson looked really good against Blackburn who had some good forward options.  Katic’s done well for the Croatian U21s and has started brightly for us too.  Both are big 6,4 physical CBs.  I’d like to see more of them during this preseason period.

Been very, very impressed by both Katic and Edmundson so far.

I think Goldson is still the best of the bunch, but really not much in it. Not seen enough of Hellander to judge yet.

I just hope that the fans dont turn on one of them because they have a favourite. Think they should all get a good amount of game time.   

9 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Edmondson has looked better than Katic in the games I've seen. I know folk tend to gave a stauner for Katic, but just putting that out there.

Agree with this and I'm a big fan of Katic.

I think it'll be Goldson and Helander as first choice this season, but I'd be happy with Katic or Edmundson stepping in when needed, or playing together in cup games.

It’s a healthy discussion to be having after the years of dross we’ve had to suffer at centre back. Cribari, Senderos, Zaliukas, Kiernan, Mohsni...names that give me flashbacks akin to a war veteran looking back at his time in the trenches.

Reckon Helander and Goldson will be preferred pairing when both are fit. Personal favourite of mine is Katic though as he’s all blood and thunder...love the guy 👍🏼I guess it depends on the style of play of the opposition too. Gerrard seems to prefer players who are better with the ball at their feet hence why I reckon it’ll be Helander and Goldson preferred. Katic will be brilliant against the long ball merchants in Scottish Football though as the guy doesn’t get beat in the air...period.