Centre back pairing

Edmundson is 6,4 and the amount of areal duels he won at Oldham was fantastic.  More than any other player his age across all 4 English divisions.  He gives us a big physical presence in the box.  He likes to get stuck in and can defend well.  I think he's going to turn out a real find for us.

Edmunson looked good tonight I must admit. Everything that Worrall was supposed to be and a bit more. He's also now our player on a decent contract. If he gets the nod in front of Katic he won't be short of backing from me if he does the business. 

We look well covered at the back now. In fact the full squad looks well covered. Apart from possibly the strikers. But with 2 guys at the level we have there it's going to be really difficult to get another in close enough ability wise to challenge for a place and even more difficult to keep 3 guys happy if we did manage to get somebody else in. 

Edmundson looked good tonight, but I'd still have him as 4th choice until he proves himself against better opposition. 

Going to be gutted if Katic doesn't get much gametime this season. Has the potential to be the best defender of the 4 and a massive player for us. 

4 minutes ago, GA1972 said:

The more Goldson plays the more he looks like an absolute bombscare, not a clue what he was doing tonight 

I would let him off with tonight's performance. He like one or 2 others seemed to be affected by the heat. 

There won't be another game in Scotland for a long time in conditions like tonight's. Tonight was like an away game in Greece Spain or Eastern Europe at this time of year. 

1 minute ago, magic8ball said:

I would let him off with tonight's performance. He like one or 2 others seemed to be affected by the heat. 

There won't be another game in Scotland for a long time in conditions like tonight's. Tonight was like an away game in Greece Spain or Eastern Europe at this time of year. 

If it was just tonight I’d let him off but far too often recently he’s dwelling on the ball trying things that he isn’t capable of

Edmundson/McGregor dug him and Tavernier out a few times tonight 

6 minutes ago, magic8ball said:

They just got back from Portugal for pre season. I'm not buying that. It's a poor excuse for a mediocre performance.

Just now, bluenoz said:

They just got back from Portugal for pre season. I'm not buying that. It's a poor excuse for a mediocre performance.

This. Conditions weren’t an excuse for a centre half tonight, he had barely anything to do and when he did he invited Progres in on goal

His distribution looked decent at the start of last season and is now absolutely woeful, I just wish he’d try carrying the ball forward into the space a bit when there’s no passes on rather than let the full midfield drop back to him to take it 

2 minutes ago, GA1972 said:

This. Conditions weren’t an excuse for a centre half tonight, he had barely anything to do and when he did he invited Progres in on goal

His distribution looked decent at the start of last season and is now absolutely woeful, I just wish he’d try carrying the ball forward into the space a bit when there’s no passes on rather than let the full midfield drop back to him to take it 

the was big Amo used to? Those were the days.......

1 minute ago, tm91 said:

It'll be Goldson and Helander when the latter is fit and ready.

Edmundson looked impressive tonight and is clearly one for the future. I do feel pretty bad for Katic though. He's looked impressive yet again only to be shunted out due to no apparent fault of his own.

Do we put too much emphasis on age at that position? Perhaps and maybe with reason but I would have no qualms with playing Katic/Edmundson. I know it won't happen.

13 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Do we put too much emphasis on age at that position? Perhaps and maybe with reason but I would have no qualms with playing Katic/Edmundson. I know it won't happen.

I'd be happy to see this team go with Edmundson and Katic too.  Both 6,4, love a tackle, strong in the air.  Katic has done very well for the Croatian U21 team and seems to be held in higher regard than Benkovic who cost Leicester £12m.  These two could turn out to be real quality CBs for us.

1 minute ago, TMB said:

I'd be happy to see this team go with Edmundson and Katic too.  Both 6,4, physically big, and very strong in the air.  Katic has done very well for the Croatian U21 team and seems to be held in higher regard than Benkovic who cost Leicester £12m.  These two could turn out to be real quality CBs for us.

Ain't happening mate. Money talks in the end.

4 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Ain't happening mate. Money talks in the end.

No doubt Helander will get plenty game time initially due to his price tag but it's up to him to prove his quality here for Rangers.  The best players will ultimately shine through over the course of the season.  I do think Katic and Edmundson can push both Goldson and this Helander for first-team spots.  Competition can only be a good thing and we have that now.