Away Goals Rule

I dislike it immensely.

Was originally intended to encourage attacking football away from home, but instead seems to give away teams the opportunity to simply sit tight in defence and either hold out for 0-0, or 1-0 defeat, or allows them to score a single lucky goal which doubles up and means the more atacking teams needs 2 or 3 goals to counter it. 

Stifles the game, in my opinion.

1 minute ago, born a blue nose said:

The gulf in class is the only reason for that, if we where playing any premiership team or even decent championship team then it would have been a total different game. 

Non argument.

So why should the rules of the beautiful game be bent to limit the ability of teams with more class to win games.

Fair argument.

Maybe we should extend the rule to all sports, say Americans being given double scores on British Open events, or Brits being given a three stroke opening advantage at the Masters ?  Or Andy Murray being given two sets for one in the French Open.........

I can see no precedent in any other sport for being given this kind of advantage........

4 minutes ago, tannerall said:

So why should the rules of the beautiful game be bent to limit the ability of teams with more class to win games.

Fair argument.

It's not because you play 2 games, one home and one away. levelling any sort of advantage that one team will have.

Again, non argument.

4 minutes ago, born a blue nose said:

It's not because you play 2 games, one home and one away. levelling any sort of advantage that one team will have.

Again, non argument.

So if you win a 4-3 thriller at home, then lose 1-0 away, you are sugesting the 1-0 away is always the better game ?

6 minutes ago, born a blue nose said:

No. What makes you think that?

So if you agree the 1-0 win is not the beter game (bearing in mind the 1-0 would be enough to go through to next round)  your argument goes out the window in terms of encouraging attacking football.

Please re-read the "attacking football" part of first post as it seems you missed the initial point completely. 

4 minutes ago, tannerall said:

So if you agree the 1-0 win is not the beter game your argument goes out the window in terms of encouraging attacking football.

Please re-read the "attacking football" part of first post as it seems you missed the initial point completely. 

Things that start initially for a reason can develop into being beneficial for other reasons. Football is a developing sport. I find it hard that you have the audacity to think your version, whatever that may be, is better than a professionals. 

It's a pretty shit argument too as it won't change. 

23 minutes ago, born a blue nose said:

Things that start initially for a reason can develop into being beneficial for other reasons. Football is a developing sport. I find it hard that you have the audacity to think your version, whatever that may be, is better than a professionals. 

It's a pretty shit argument too as it won't change. 

Who are these football "professionals" you speak of ? UEFA ? FIFA? The SFA for fuxache ? Peter Liewell ?""

All they are interseted in is £££££££££.

My argument is just as valid as any other football fan's. The away goals rule has provided more defensively minded games than attacking games, which totally defeats the original intention. 

Did you think tonight's game benefitted from the away goals rule ?

Can't remember the complaints in 2008 😂

I like it. One of the most exciting games for me last season was the return leg of Slavia Prague v Sevilla, away goals made it very exciting. 

12 minutes ago, BF1 said:

Can't remember the complaints in 2008 😂

I like it. One of the most exciting games for me last season was the return leg of Slavia Prague v Sevilla, away goals made it very exciting. 

What when we knocked out one team on away goals?

If you know yer history eh?

2 minutes ago, Malvern said:

I honestly see no problem with away goals as both teams know what they are going into and win or lose there is no point crying over one of the few bloody systems that work just now in football.

What do you think of them in ET? 

I like them in the 90, but ET I'm not as sure about. 

Just now, BF1 said:

What do you think of them in ET? 

I like them in the 90, but ET I'm not as sure about. 

If it is away goals then how do you get to ET? You even win or not over two legs, might be a draw on the night but the other team knew to make sure it was not a draw.

1 minute ago, Malvern said:

If it is away goals then how do you get to ET? You even win or not over two legs, might be a draw on the night but the other team knew to make sure it was not a draw.

Game goes to ET, away goals still apply in ET. Favours being at home in the first leg imo. 

I'm all for it, particularly in the era of dubious plastic pitches. Wish it would extend to sides in the domestic game that have substandard pitches for example in the LC would be an interesting idea. Perhaps encourage the likes of Livi, Killie and Hamilton to go back to grass- who have that advantage for so long. There is no way Hamilton would have stayed up as long as they have without that trampoline to benefit them.