What do you think of us tactically?

KeyserSoze

I’ve not missed a home game so far. What I’ve seen getting out our half is not good enough. We are going to get caught out with better teams 

The ball is passed from keeper to our CB’s who then knock it along the back line for four or five passes to each other, taking their time and not really making any kind of impact 

Sometimes a midfielder will come short but won’t turn to either drive with it or pass through the midfield/wings. Inevitably a neat pass back to our CB is what actually happens. It’s then moved wide  

It lets the opposition bed in defensibly and takes any notion of “moving the ball quickly”  out our game but more so becomes a “predictable” part of our game  

It’s a frustrating part of our game that’s going to catch us out. 

I swear our CB touched the ball more times than our midfield 

just an observation that’s frustrating to watch 

Blue Avenger likes this

3 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

I think we look a bit too predictable tbh but it's early days in the season and we're still getting up to speed.

I think this is the main point of my post I suppose 

if we are predictable teams will understand better how to play us. 

I have the same concerns as the OP.  More worrying for me was the second half against Blackburn when they put in a high press and our CBs were caught out numerous times and we struggled to shift the ball forward - I don’t doubt other teams will adopt the same tactic this season.

KeyserSoze likes this

I’m in Spain at the minute and watched a rerun of a Barca game at the gym yesterday.  It struck me that they/we do exactly the same in terms of possession from our CBs to Fullbacks, to DM, and back.

It’s a case of keeping hold of the ball, making their forwards chase it/tire themselves out and waiting for the right opportunity to take advantage. And given how many chances we’re creating, I’m not worried at all.

Similar to last season, we look a bit shaky in getting from defense to attack, teams can get chances against us if they get the ball high enough up the park.

On the other side of things when we do get out we look dangerous but seem to be lacking the killer pass still to get a clear cut chance, something we desperately needed last season and looks the same going into this one.

Feel like we somehow have less quality going into this season, we have more "first team" players, in that they can come in and do a job if we get injuries but we really didn't have anybody last night able to dominate the game against Progres, thought Aribo was as close as we got to that player.

Albertz1989, HG5 and Gazza2258 like this

1 minute ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

It's the best way to retain possession which stops other teams scoring. We've dominated all games do far, scored a barrel load of goals, and lost one solitary goal so far.

We need the sharpness and clinicism upfront that will hopefully come with more matches played. That aside, I'm thinking we look strong and ready enough for where we are right now.

We haven’t had a real test yet ?

Once we come across a team that their front two shut us down quickly and kill that space we’ll see how we cope 

Blue Avenger likes this

8 minutes ago, Soldier blue said:

I have the same concerns as the OP.  More worrying for me was the second half against Blackburn when they put in a high press and our CBs were caught out numerous times and we struggled to shift the ball forward - I don’t doubt other teams will adopt the same tactic this season.

They were also caught a few times last night.  Their forward was through on goal in one chance and should of made it 2-1.  I'm all for patience but it should still be with total concentration.  I thought we looked a bit lazy at the back last night towards the end.

6 minutes ago, BearInTheToon said:

I’m in Spain at the minute and watched a rerun of a Barca game at the gym yesterday.  It struck me that they/we do exactly the same in terms of possession from our CBs to Fullbacks, to DM, and back.

It’s a case of keeping hold of the ball, making their forwards chase it/tire themselves out and waiting for the right opportunity to take advantage. And given how many many chances we’re creating, I’m not worried at all.

There were three or four opportunities last night for Davis/Jack to turn on their heals  as the space was there. Folk round me were shouting “drive with it”   What happened was the predictable come short and lay it back to the CB

Bad Robot and BILLYBOY50 like this

5 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Once we come across a team that their front two shut us down quickly and kill that space we’ll see how we cope 

Then that leaves the half the middle of the park open for our midfield to collect the ball and drive forward. 

4 minutes ago, Gazza2258 said:

They were also caught a few times last night.  Their forward was through on goal in one chance and should of made it 2-1.  I'm all for patience but it should still be with total concentration.  I thought we looked a bit lazy at the back last night towards the end.

We don’t look lazy we looked labouring. Over passing and passing for no reason. 

16 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

We're still effectively preseason and we've done well on the whole. By the time we face a real test we should be sharper and more cohesive.

Most teams will be at a similar stage in preparations. I'd recommend looking at how we're doing now, at the stage of readiness we're at, than predicting problems at a future date when the current rustiness has worn off.

8 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

We're still effectively preseason and we've done well on the whole. By the time we face a real test we should be sharper and more cohesive.

Most teams will be at a similar stage in preparations. I'd recommend looking at how we're doing now, at the stage of readiness we're at, than predicting problems at a future date when the current rustiness has worn off.

I’m looking at how we are doing now and that has been a tactic  in every game. 

Looks like that’s how it’s going to be

34 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

It’s not particularly difficult for four defenders and a deep midfielder to keep the ball away from two forwards..

6 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

I’m looking at how we are doing now and that has been a tactic  in every game. 

Looks like that’s how it’s going to be

The ball out via defenders you're talking about hasn't been an issue or risk. 

The minor issue has been midfielders too content to play the safe sideways pass option, I'd accept that. Kamara has been guilty his last 2 games just in front of defence and as it's been commented on by Gerrard  (after St Josephs) I'd imagine that's played a part in him missing out last night.  Certainly dont think Davis and Jack were near as guilty last night, I'd say we just struggled to find room in the final 3rd.

I cant wait for forwards to press our defence, as Prso says that creates space in midfield if the midfield dont also press, or space in behind midfield if they do.

Tbh its rustimess, no more, and it's really not a 'tactic' that us in any way showing signs of threat.

tm91 likes this

52 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

Feel like we somehow have less quality going into this season, we have more "first team" players, in that they can come in and do a job if we get injuries but we really didn't have anybody last night able to dominate the game against Progres, thought Aribo was as close as we got to that player.

I completely disagree with that tbh.

This time last season people like Ejaria, Worrall, Middleton and Lafferty were our options from the bench. Last night we had Kamara, Katic, Jones and Defoe sitting on the bench.

That’s before we consider that the likes of Davis and Aribo who have made us stronger in midfield, Morelos has come on leaps and bounds as a player to what he was going into last season, we still have Helander to come into the equation and Kent might still return.

The proof of the pudding will be in the eating, but on paper I think we are in a far better place quality wise then we were going into last season.

You can read us like a book , and most teams will know how to play against us, just like last season. We have got to shoot more often to mix it up a bit and kill off opponents quicker , we always make life harder for ourselves. A 3-0 win would have killed this tie off. If it continues we are going to drop the same ridiculous points we did last season.

KeyserSoze likes this

The short passing in and out of midfield between the defence and midfield is supposed to try and drag the other team on to you, creating space for an attack. 

I can see what we are trying to do and it can be frustrating at times, but we have better players in Aribo, Ojo and Kamara  that can find those gaps and drive forward, problem I think we have in Midfield is that Davis and Jack are a carbon copy  of each other and it slows the ball going forward far too much. 

2 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

You can read us like a book , and most teams will know how to play against us, just like last season. We have got to shoot more often to mix it up a bit and kill off opponents quicker , we always make life harder for ourselves. A 3-0 win would have killed this tie off. If it continues we are going to drop the same ridiculous points we did last season.

Hopefully as his influence grows and he continues to settle in Aribo will become the player to give us something a bit different in midfield. From all those stat maps that were posted when he joined he certainly appears to have the ability to do that. I just hope we don’t coach it out of him.

1 hour ago, KeyserSoze said:

I’ve not missed a home game so far. What I’ve seen getting out our half is not good enough. We are going to get caught out with better teams 

The ball is passed from keeper to our CB’s who then knock it along the back line for four or five passes to each other, taking their time and not really making any kind of impact 

Sometimes a midfielder will come short but won’t turn to either drive with it or pass through the midfield/wings. Inevitably a neat pass back to our CB is what actually happens. It’s then moved wide  

It lets the opposition bed in defensibly and takes any notion of “moving the ball quickly”  out our game but more so becomes a “predictable” part of our game  

It’s a frustrating part of our game that’s going to catch us out. 

I swear our CB touched the ball more times than our midfield 

just an observation that’s frustrating to watch 

It can be quite tedious and slow sometimes but at the same time it was part of our success towards the end of last season. We were very patient in games, Aberdeen at Ibrox comes to mind. I think having an extra central midfielder (4 instead of 3) playing will help us eventually break teams down, we just sometimes need to wait. We are conceding a lot less goals playing like this as well which does mean we only need 1 or 2 and we have the fire power for it.

I felt after the penalty miss we got careless with the ball as we tried to make up for the penalty miss. It was like we were chasing a 3rd goal.

I think the heat may have played a factor as to why it may have been a bit slower than usual last night. Overall I felt we created plenty last night, we just didn't want to pull the trigger very often.