First choice CB pairing?

JimmyCR1

I have no idea. They all seem to be of a similar level.  Good dilema to have tbh, but a couple of them are going to be a bit disappointed.

I'd like to see Edmunson and Helander together a couple of times.  I think he is going to have to experiment a bit with them to find out who is best.

Goldson and Katic together usually seem pretty solid.

It's going to be Goldson and Helander most of the time with it occasionally being one of those with either Katic or Edmundson.

We will probably very rarely see Katic and Edmundson in the same team. 

Pretty content with the centre of defence. It's the left side I'm not convinced by 

If it was a totally clean slate  for everyone basing just  on pre season n early qualifiers I'd say it would be katic n edmundson. 

Though taking everything into consideration I think it'll be goldson because he was our best ch last year and Gerrard trusts him and probly helander purely on the price as I've not seen enough. 

Tbh id be comfortable starting the season with any combination of the 4 and thats a good place to be 

Great headache to have vs our previous CB’s with bombscares like Senderos and Keirnan, shirt fillers like Ball and Cardoso or even cunts just swanning about not giving a fuck like big Alves.

I’ll have any combination of the current 4 against what we’ve watched in recent history.

But I think it will be Goldson and Helander when the big mans up to match fitness.

I haven’t seen enough of Hellander and Edmundson so I would go with Goldson and Katic for tried and tested but from what I have seen looks like we have 4 quality CH who if someone drops out we have an equal to go in and we haven’t had that for a long long time.

Big season ahead with hopefully more games than last year and I think all four will be called upon to step up to the plate at some point.

Great headache to have for the gaffer.

personally hope Katic becomes an animal for us, if he had better feet he would be first pick for me but he’s young and has a lot to learn he’s probably the best out the four as a goal threat so that could get him more games.

16 hours ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Anybody who thinks it’s going to be other than Goldson and Helander is kidding themself.

Agreed. However,  helander is a few weeks shy of full fitness, so you never know. Helander is left footed and gerard felt that the left side of defence was weakest, so he us the round peg in a round hole. But he also realises we depended far too much on goldson's form and fitness. We now have four excellent centre backs and it will be a matter of playing them appropriately depending on shape and personnel. Katic gets goals or wins a huge proportion of headers in the opposition box which is a massive plus,  but sometimes the left back might need the protection that edmondson or helander provides. It's a good headache to have and I think goldson will be rested more than he was last season.

4 minutes ago, writingranger said:

Agreed. However,  helander is a few weeks shy of full fitness, so you never know. Helander is left footed and gerard felt that the left side of defence was weakest, so he us the round peg in a round hole. But he also realises we depended far too much on goldson's form and fitness. We now have four excellent centre backs and it will be a matter of playing them appropriately depending on shape and personnel. Katic gets goals or wins a huge proportion of headers in the opposition box which is a massive plus,  but sometimes the left back might need the protection that edmondson or helander provides. It's a good headache to have and I think goldson will be rested more than he was last season.

The only back that needs protection is who is currently in right back. Our biggest weakness across the back four.  Flannigan is easily the best defender on the right and maybe Polson could even be better, but no can touch Andy on the left, from his attacking forays with pace in spades, to his goal line clearances. We need guys who can lay it on the line with that winning mentality.

14 minutes ago, writingranger said:

Yeah just basing it on the fact that Goldson is Vice Captain and we spent 3 million odds on Helander.

Don’t know if the management team look at as having a first choice pair.

If we play 60 games over the season then that’s 120 centre half starts.

Right now you’d assume Goldson and Helander would play 40 each and then Katic and Edmundson 20 each. Form, suspensions, injury might all mess with that but on age and salary you’d be aiming around that sort of mix.

2 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Edmondson and Helander for Europe and cups. 

Goldson and Katic for the league. 

Thoughts? 

chopping and changing never really worked last year but I would still be for it. All four seem more than capable.

Edmundson is very young and would benefit from playing next to a more experienced CB.  Him and Helander might be a solid pairing.  They could be better than the Goldson and Katic pairing for all we know.  Certainly an area we’re now very strong in.

3 minutes ago, TMB said:

Edmundson is very young and would benefit from playing next to a more experienced CB.  Him and Helander might be a solid pairing.  They could be better than the Goldson and Katic pairing for all we know.  Certainly an area we’re now very strong in.

I'm going to predict that in time Edmundson will turn out to be the best of the four. 

8 hours ago, Blue Avenger said:

The only back that needs protection is who is currently in right back. Our biggest weakness across the back four.  Flannigan is easily the best defender on the right and maybe Polson could even be better, but no can touch Andy on the left, from his attacking forays with pace in spades, to his goal line clearances. We need guys who can lay it on the line with that winning mentality.

Flannagan tends to be played on the left and is an excellent, uncompromising defender. He is more limited as an attacking option though, particularly as he is so right footed. Halliday is definitely the sort of character I'm glad we have, tough in the tackle, can put a cross in and be effective at set pieces and never lets you down. It's Barisic though that offers the most in terms of attacking potential, but weakest defensively at the moment. We need all of these players so we can mix it up. Tavernier is not a bad defender but he is most effective when attacking and yes, he needs covered. I'm not sure, but my impression is that Goldson is the least mobile/slowest of the CBs and in some games Katic or Edmundson would be the better option.

Right now it has to be Katic and Edmundson but I think the boss will go with Helander and Goldson .

I think big Goldson is now the weakest option of our CBs and no doubt the new guy will start when he's fit but his partner is a tough choice.