Botched the transfer window

Broxi

22 minutes ago, Laudrup1690 said:

So if we added Kent or someone of similar quality would you not be happy with our business?

ojo is a better footballer than candieas 

Kent and someone else I'd be happy. Kent in I would be content, none in I'd be pissed right off.

If no one else comes in will you be happy? 

No he is not  

24 minutes ago, born a blue nose said:

Kent and someone else I'd be happy. Kent in I would be content, none in I'd be pissed right off.

If no one else comes in will you be happy? 

No he is not  

No we definitely need one more attacking player of quality no doubt.

Yes he is 😎

1 minute ago, ForeverAndEver said:

What part? He did occasionally run about off the ball, and the majority of his crossing was pish.

He formed a great partnership with Tav, gave tav the chance to put crosses in.  He done a lot of the tracking back, interceptions that go unnoticed.  He put in some amazing crosses.  

We are going to miss him this season, his workrate was up there with the best at the club.   You obviously don't agree.  We will have to agree to disagree.

I think people are too quick to write off Ojo and Jones...Kent seems to get better in people's minds the longer he is away - there were lots of games he was posted missing and her didn't score enough goals or have many assists. 

The Helander signing was a strange one imo, when we are crying out for another striker.

1 hour ago, Laudrup1690 said:

So if we added Kent or someone of similar quality would you not be happy with our business?

ojo is a better footballer than candieas 

From what I recall the only thing that stopped ojo being a Liverpool regular a couple of years ago was his inconsistency. I'm sure klopp regularly praised ojo as a wonderful player but needed to add consistency to his game. 

Ofc he's never going to make it at Liverpool but he is by far and away a better footballer than Candeias whether he offers more over a season is another thing tho 

5 hours ago, Broxi said:

End of last season we said we needed 3 quality signings. A LB, RW and CM (and Kent back). 

We have made 6 signings and only addressed one of those problems and it's unacceptable. 

I'm delighted we got that last minute winner today but sad truth is we are winning nothing this season with Barisic, Jones and Ojo in the team. The fact we've spent £4m on centre backs is nothing short of a farce. Haven't completely written off Ojo yet as it's far too early but early signs aren't encouraging me. Still 3 positions short, we just need to pray we still get Kent. 

Window doesn’t close for 4 weeks yet! 

So far a good if not stunning start. No need to panic yet. 

SG appears to be building a squad capable of playing 60 games a season and that's what his transfer philosophy looks to be based on.

Is our squad better? I would say it remains to be seen but on paper then yes.

Is our quality of starting 11 better? again remains to be seen but I would say on paper no.

Still believe that a couple of more quality signing are required if we are to seriously challenge for the league this season.

If we still had Candeias, and were going to resign Kent i’d be relatively happy with the squad, assuming Alf stays.

However we haven’t replaced Daniel (and I doubt we will), and Kent isn’t a certainty (although I do think he is the last one that Gerrard has referred to).

Ojo was worse than garbage yesterday.  If that's the level of performance he thinks he can turn in every week we would be as well sending him back down the road. 

We need more quality in that final third,if it's not addressed we are winning fuck all.

We're a team who get it wide constantly and ask our full backs to bomb forward

Yet somehow in this window we've ended up weaker out wide, Kent/Candeias replaced with Jones/Ojo. We ended up having to play Arfield out left yesterday just to fit him in as when hes fit he needs to be on that park 

Been said a million times but Tav played much better with Candeias aswell, the 2 linked up well, wasnt a surprise that when Ojo has a bad game that Tav looked suspect yesterday again.

Alot of warning signs but really don't see us doing much more this window & think we're still 2/3 quality players short of the league, same as we were before the window started 

I see what the OP is saying and on some level I agree, especially about the attacking midfielder. However I feel last season we wouldn't have won this game. celtic might have scored 7 etc but at the end of the day it is points that count. The one thing we couldn't afford to do was fall behind on day one and we've not done that.  We've shown strong character at a place that was a problem for us all last season. Its a while since I've seen a last minute winner from us. That sort of thing is a marker of a squad with good character thats doesn't know when it is beaten so for me the signs are encouraging. 

Just now, DrLaudrup said:

I see what the OP is saying and on some level I agree, especially about the attacking midfielder. However I feel last season we wouldn't have won this game. celtic might have scored 7 etc but at the end of the day it is points that count. The one thing we couldn't afford to do was fall behind on day one and we've not done that.  We've shown strong character at a place that was a problem for us all last season. Its a while since I've seen a last minute winner from us. That sort of thing is a marker of a squad with good character thats doesn't know when it is beaten so for me the signs are encouraging. 

a marker is not sitting back, literally standing still with the ball, inviting them onto you for 30 minutes then being surprised when they score......

until we stop doing that we will be winning fuck all

as to the goals scored the filth are all but one point ahead of us now on GD

1 hour ago, Valance1690 said:

We're a team who get it wide constantly and ask our full backs to bomb forward

Yet somehow in this window we've ended up weaker out wide, Kent/Candeias replaced with Jones/Ojo. We ended up having to play Arfield out left yesterday just to fit him in as when hes fit he needs to be on that park 

Been said a million times but Tav played much better with Candeias aswell, the 2 linked up well, wasnt a surprise that when Ojo has a bad game that Tav looked suspect yesterday again.

Alot of warning signs but really don't see us doing much more this window & think we're still 2/3 quality players short of the league, same as we were before the window started 

Bang on.

Helander, on paper at least, improves the squad and the starting eleven, Aribo looks like he might do similarly, but the loss of Kent without replacing him with at least as good a player (I know it’s far too soon to be writing off Ojo, or for that matter Jones and Stewart and we do still have Murphy to come back . . . maybe) has, on first impressions weakened us, therefore I’d say we’re only marginally improved overall from last term as things stand.

Unfortunately I think that unless we’re somehow able to add another couple of quality players over the course of the season that can go straight into the first team and improve it, we’re probably left waiting to see how good or bad celtic are to determine where the title will be come next May.

15 minutes ago, Sub Genius said:

Bang on.

Helander, on paper at least, improves the squad and the starting eleven, Aribo looks like he might do similarly, but the loss of Kent without replacing him with at least as good a player (I know it’s far too soon to be writing off Ojo, or for that matter Jones and Stewart and we do still have Murphy to come back . . . maybe) has, on first impressions weakened us, therefore I’d say we’re only marginally improved overall from last term as things stand.

Unfortunately I think that unless we’re somehow able to add another couple of quality players over the course of the season that can go straight into the first team and improve it, we’re probably left waiting to see how good or bad celtic are to determine where the title will be come next May.

Honestly cant say much about Helander, never even heard of the guy until a few weeks ago but aye on paper he should be better than McAuley/Worrall but CB was the last place we needed strengthened so was strange to spend that money there.

Wont write off anybody yet but people have been moaning for months about Jones/Stewart, the fact we lost Candeias aswell just makes those signings even stranger, we lost our 2 first choice wingers and replaced them with 2 squad players, makes no sense 

Aribo will be a good bit of business, even if it's just to sell him in 12 months as hes exactly the type of players clubs in England love & will pay a decent fee for

Kent was awful, it at least ineffective, for the first half of last season. The squad is definitely stronger and I'm pretty sure we will add at least 1 more attacking player. That player night be Kent if there is a structured deal available. The likes of Aribo, BB and ojo will improve. It may be the calvinist in me but I see struggling,  narrow wins at the start of a season as a good thing and easy, flying wins as the opposite. The first develops resilience,  the second fosters hubris. We won a game we would have drawn last season. We just need to win all but 1 game.

19 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

Honestly cant say much about Helander, never even heard of the guy until a few weeks ago but aye on paper he should be better than McAuley/Worrall but CB was the last place we needed strengthened so was strange to spend that money there.

Wont write off anybody yet but people have been moaning for months about Jones/Stewart, the fact we lost Candeias aswell just makes those signings even stranger, we lost our 2 first choice wingers and replaced them with 2 squad players, makes no sense 

Aribo will be a good bit of business, even if it's just to sell him in 12 months as hes exactly the type of players clubs in England love & will pay a decent fee for

Helander really only made sense to me if we were aiming to add a couple other players of similar quality to the midfield and  attack.

Perhaps we still will, but if we don’t it does seem a rather odd even unnecessary use of scant resources.

I think we have to hope that Ojo will come good in the same way Kent did. I think it’s far too soon to be writing him off, but I still felt we needed to bring in a straight out of the box player for that role, not another youngster on loan that we’re left hoping we can repeat the Kent trick with.

Overall I still think we look a bit scattershot in our strategy.