Jump to content

Martyn Waghorn article in The Telegraph.


beararse
 Share

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, beararse said:

Exactly. He isnt a shite footballer or he wouldnt have done well at Ipswich and a respectable return at a top championship side in derby.

Glad hes on the road to recovery. Think the scrutiny hes under at a club as big as ours is too much pressure for a lot of players. Will always be a bear.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As has been said....the jersey is too big for some. 

He’s not a bad player, seems a decent guy, and even when he was struggling he always gave his best effort. 

Brave to come out and reveal his difficulties and I wish him nothing but the best both on and off the field. 

dougie76 likes this
Link to post
Share on other sites

He was always a good player. It just didn't work out. As someone who has suffered from depression, I understand what living with it is like. I couldn't fathom having to live with it while being under the pressure of playing for the biggest football club in the country in the Glasgow fishbowl at a time when fans are desperate for success but the team is struggling. He pushed through and got past it and deserves all the respect in the world for it.

Incidentally my little sister once had a full-on conversation with Martyn Waghorn when he was out in South Shields and she didn't clock on at all she was talking to the number one striker for Rangers at the time. I've never been more disappointed or ashamed. Lucky she wasn't disowned really.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Psychology is a modern basic requirement for managers and footballers. And Gerrard will have been well schooled at Liverpool. 

Interesting that one of the first things Gerrard did with the squad was concentrate them on being a "family" and gave the positive outgoing characters support (Halliday).

To me that is common sense asa team on the park should work well as a team off the park and support each other as much as possible.

Which begs the big question, was Warburton's man management so poor he could not see Waghorn was becoming isolated and depressed, and failed to attempt to rectify this ?

 

 

 

 

Escobar likes this
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tannerall said:

Psychology is a modern basic requirement for managers and footballers. And Gerrard will have been well schooled at Liverpool. 

Interesting that one of the first things Gerrard did with the squad was concentrate them on being a "family" and gave the positive outgoing characters support (Halliday).

To me that is common sense asa team on the park should work well as a team off the park and support each other as much as possible.

Which begs the big question, was Warburton's man management so poor he could not see Waghorn was becoming isolated and depressed, and failed to attempt to rectify this ?

 

 

 

 

Almost impossible to notice at the time it’s only on reflection that it can be realized that the tell tale signs were there all along but just missed amongst the daily routine,  thankfully awareness is now being promoted in a positive sense and hopefully encourage sufferers to seek the help that they require, a bastard of an illness.

Link to post
Share on other sites

He is a tank. And a South Shields lad I believe. 

Always liked him and wish him every success. 

Makes you wonder.... If a couple of shots had gone in at the right time. 

Obviously not as high profile as the thumb as not in the Scottish press. 

HG5 likes this
Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, SPWF said:

Horrible that the guy was suffering, and it’s great he’s on top of it for now. But he was still fucking rubbish. 

Not what I remember. He's part of the story as far as I'm concerned, delighted me from his first match at Easter Road. Why be so cruel ? 

Essandoh and HG5 like this
Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, yermaw145 said:

Not what I remember. He's part of the story as far as I'm concerned, delighted me from his first match at Easter Road. Why be so cruel ? 

You must be easily pleased. 

I’m not being cruel either. I’ve consistently stated on here that I thought he was fucking dreadful. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, tannerall said:

Which begs the big question, was Warburton's man management so poor he could not see Waghorn was becoming isolated and depressed, and failed to attempt to rectify this ?

 

 

 

 

No. In fact that’s very fucking harsh. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SPWF said:

Horrible that the guy was suffering, and it’s great he’s on top of it for now. But he was still fucking rubbish. 

 

56 minutes ago, SPWF said:

You must be easily pleased. 

I’m not being cruel either. I’ve consistently stated on here that I thought he was fucking dreadful. 

tenor.gif

Escobar, Essandoh, Geo17 and 1 other like this
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SPWF said:

You must be easily pleased. 

I’m not being cruel either. I’ve consistently stated on here that I thought he was fucking dreadful. 

I tore my hair out watching him sometimes, but I would never say he was dreadful, infact I'd go as far to say that his debut against hibs sparked a new dawn. His season in the premiership was poor but I'll always be grateful for his service. Your shite is taig like 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bumped into him in american golf at bearsden. It was just after getting humped in an old firm game - he seemed a nice bloke but was noticably uncomfortable when i mentioned the game.

 Can't  understand players shrinking under pressure...surely getting to play big games is what its all about and why you work your nuts of through your career. When theres no pressure it means the game is meaningless. And who wants to play meaningless games?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...