Who should be our first choice left back?

Who Should Be Our First Choice Left Back?  

244 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be our first choice left back?

33 minutes ago, rabc10000 said:

I take it you disagree?? 

Look at it this way left back we all know about. RB we have tavernier but after that we have Polster who is untried and Flanagan who I suspect wouldnt be any better than he is at lb. 

Compare those positions to the rest of the team where we are extremely strong with decent cover on a par with the starting player so yeah I do think the 2 weakest areas of the team is the full back positions

Right back isn’t a weak link considering he’s arguably our best player

Think the fullback positions will always look suspect due to the way we play but a strong solid one that doesnt make mistakes is needed and unfortunately none of the lads we’ve got do that,

so logically we should move arfield to left back and thatll let us play king as well 👏

1 minute ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Right back isn’t a weak link considering he’s arguably our best player

I'm not saying he isn't however if we rest tavernier we really can't replace him with a player equally as good like we can in almost every other position and that's why I said it's still a weak link. Not because tavernier is a bad player but I feel we don't have the option to rotate him without weakening the side

1 hour ago, rabc10000 said:

For me tavernier is one of those players now and no matter how badly he plays he won't get much criticism and the ones who do criticise him are accused of having an agenda against him almost like the ones who would like to see Barisic given a run of games. 

But I agree the 2 weakest links in our team are the full backs

I think Halliday is the same for some people.  Constant misplaced crosses, diving instead of being strong in challenges and poor defensive positioning.  Not a mention but then he makes one needlessly aggressive slide tackle around the half way line and suddenly his fans on here go crazy about good he is.  Halliday and Flanagan are both below average left backs.  Sadly Barisic is currently playing with no confidence and is probably just average.  If Gerrard can work on his confidence like he did with Katic, then he could be decent.  Ideally we get rid of Halliday and Barisic and sign a top left back.  Flanagan can be back up due to his versatility unless we have any youth players worth promoting.

Flanagan has cost us 2 goals in as many games this season already and luckily it's not more tbh. The "good defensively" line gets used to describe him a lot on here for some reason, probably because he tackled Brown last season. He's terrible.

The only goal i can remember Barisic being at fault for was Villarreal last season. His problem seems to be taking the easy option all the time and that's probably due to a lack of confidence. Give him a run of games and if he doesn't make it, then sell him in January.

1 hour ago, Blue Avenger said:

Then there is the RB slot. Again not any better imo than the LB.

Poor outballs. Square passing. Poor final balls. Out of position. Happens pretty much every game. 

Haven't seen a polished performance this season in that slot.

If that is the standard, we aint aiming high. Living on his performances on the latter part of last season.

We have pretty much improved on every area, but not in LB or RB. IMO, our two weakest areas. Is Polson it? I guess we'll never know, because Tav doesn't get benched.

I notice Alfie was picked up by some on misplaced passes, but no one appears to pick up on Tav's, which have been far more. Strange.

Incoming.......

1 hour ago, rabc10000 said:

For me tavernier is one of those players now and no matter how badly he plays he won't get much criticism and the ones who do criticise him are accused of having an agenda against him almost like the ones who would like to see Barisic given a run of games. 

But I agree the 2 weakest links in our team are the full backs

You two know nothing about football. 

2 hours ago, BlueThunder said:

To think, this time last year we were over the moon about getting Barisic.....

Hopefully we will get a left back in,  but i’m not convinced we will until we shift Barisic.

Agreed , wasn’t a bear after they 2 legs that didn’t say I’d take that left back , i’m sure his all round form had been excellent the previous season to and we’ve surly not signed him on the basis of 2 games 

2 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

We’re so limited going forward with Flanagan. Halliday is an ok back up.

Barasic should be the man, but just hasn’t got going. Needs game time to build his confidence / sharpness up, but Gerrard just doesn’t like it rate him. 

Cant go on the way we are now. 

This seems to be the theme from many bears and it baffles me , Flanagan and Halliday completely written off but Barisic who’s been considerable worse gets all the excuses under the sun made for him , he’s feert so no pre season, run of games , injury free run will change that , cash in now when the Croatian internationalist tag is fresh in the minds of European coaches 

5 hours ago, jackrfc95 said:

Toss up between Halliday and Flannigan depending on the game.

I suspect this is the managers thinking on this and I include BB in this....I get the impression that he is prepared to wing it on this position which is a gamble....physical games I see Flannigan getting the nod, run of the mill games ie Halliday and BB I see maybe more in games which are more technical....I can see us going along this route for now and possibly look to add a left back in the January window as we still have a fair amount of deadwood to punt

39 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

Flanagan has cost us 2 goals in as many games this season already and luckily it's not more tbh. The "good defensively" line gets used to describe him a lot on here for some reason, probably because he tackled Brown last season. He's terrible.

The only goal i can remember Barisic being at fault for was Villarreal last season. His problem seems to be taking the easy option all the time and that's probably due to a lack of confidence. Give him a run of games and if he doesn't make it, then sell him in January.

2nd at Killie last game of season, well shite defending for the penalty, Aberdeen at home in the cup as well, the second goal.

2 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Voted Barisic because he's the only one who offers anything remotely decent going forward. 

I just don’t see it mate I see I pass the buck 3 yard ball inside or a floated shocker of a cross into the goalies hands ,Your better having Flanagan giving jones all the freedom to constantly be on the attack like in Denmark and hibs than what Barisic contributes going forward in my opinion 

Just now, Rangers_no1 said:

The bold is a complete myth. Its a line uses constantly on here and not a single poster when challenged has the ability to back up that point.

Feel free to tell us the mistakes or goals Barisic has cost, all his bad games and why he has been 'considerably worse'.. 

Villarreal away , Livingston away , Kilmarnock away springs to mind straight away , bullied in ever spl away game he plays in , loads were up in arms at the signing of Greig Stewart, how he wasn’t good enough, he ripped Barisic a new arsehole at pittodrie 

Flanagan was picked up as a freebie squad player after a shite loan spell in the Championship at somewhere like Bolton.

Barisic was signed with high expectations after impressing against us, for decent money and with the expectation that he would add a whole new attacking dimension to our team and he hasn’t done it.

Barisic’s performances maybe haven’t been much better or worse than Flanagan’s have but he’s rightly being judged more harshly because he had more to live up to and there were higher expectations  of him. Flanagan and Halliday can get away with putting in a 6/10 performance every week because that’s par for their ability. Barisic can’t because it’s below par for his ability.