Helander

Blues Brother

Always thought spending that much on another CB was a waste of money. Katic and goldson look solid for the season and Edmundson looks decent too. As others said, a cheap back up would of sufficed. Should of signed halkett as a decent back up or scouted someone else in the English lower leagues that was rated for around the 500k - 1mil mark. 

6 hours ago, TMB said:

I highly doubt Liverpool want over £10m for Kent.  

Anyway, Liverpool loaned Ejaria to Reading with a view to them buying permanently at the end of it.  Maybe if Rangers had a few million we could’ve gotten a similar type of deal.  By the sounds of it we have no transfer budget left.  

08985ADB-35FB-4C4C-9E7D-A1CF029AEFF2.thumb.jpeg.4c3c99c14d9fbc6a28b343f5a29c1988.jpeg

They do

10 hours ago, BlueThunder said:

His thin legs had me worried from the get go (nae muscle mass), and i’m getting weird Bertie Konterman vibes from him! Older bears will remember how Bertie was looked at by Real, I think it was, before plumping for us. The rest is.... Well, he scored a cracker against Sellick. 😂

Still, hope Helander tears it up! His shot in the friendly is certainly encouraging if he isn’t going to make it as a defender!

I’m sure he’ll be fine 😄

We all hope he is a diamond in the rough. 

He has one of the best coaching staff in football to work with so there is no excuse for him. 

8 hours ago, TMB said:

I highly doubt Liverpool want over £10m for Kent.  

Anyway, Liverpool loaned Ejaria to Reading with a view to them buying permanently at the end of it.  Maybe if Rangers had a few million we could’ve gotten a similar type of deal.  By the sounds of it we have no transfer budget left.  

08985ADB-35FB-4C4C-9E7D-A1CF029AEFF2.thumb.jpeg.4c3c99c14d9fbc6a28b343f5a29c1988.jpeg

A career of anonymity beckons for Ejaria 

Plus, on the Helander subject, I question the need to spend that money on another CB when the two currently in that position have performed so well. In saying that, £3.5m (or whatever exact figure it was) is not a lot of money to paying to an Italian club for an international in the current market that sees fees booming. We should get that back if we need to sell but it remains a lot of money for us to ship out on an area we seemingly had decent cover. Perhaps SG saw an opportunity to take the standard levels up rather than another Edmundson style signing.  I expect scouting work to have been suitably done (given our recent debacles on fees of that size) and for him to be a good player for us once match fit. 

5 hours ago, SIRB_72 said:

Hopefully we start to see him tomorrow. I can understand the gaffer not using him considering Goldson & Katic have a solid partnership and Helander was weeks behind everyone else.

Just about the most sensible post on this thread.  

9 minutes ago, SwallowsHisOwnSpunk said:

Looks like these “reports” where a lot of shite after all then.

The report was an RM one, no where else. Really hard to judge him on those conditions but he certainly doesn't look better than Goldson & Katic. In fact I would say he may be 4th in the pecking order. So far, not worth 3M

1 minute ago, bluenoz said:

The report was an RM one, no where else. Really hard to judge him on those conditions but he certainly doesn't look better than Goldson & Katic. In fact I would say he may be 4th in the pecking order. So far, not worth 3M

Really harsh. Did well and STILL not lost a competitive goal when he’s played.

no bad

36 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Pretty much nails it.

49 minutes ago, SwallowsHisOwnSpunk said:

Looks like these “reports” where a lot of shite after all then.

I spoke to someone who has seen him in training and wasnt impressed. Another poster heard similar.  I assume the criticism was when involved with top level players in training and the game v Chelsea that Cedrick referred to. No one on the site so far has actually criticised him.

But if you're going with a friendly and a game against a league one team as enough to make up your mind on a player then as laughable as it is it's up to you.

I thought he did reasonably well today. Better in their box than Edmunson though I thought Edmunson was more assured defensively and in possession.  Gave both pass marks, thought Edmunson has looked the better of the two, though neither so far look close to replacing Katic and Goldson.  Early days, time will tell how the 4 of them perform and establish pecking order.