*****The Official Legia Warsaw v Rangers Thread*****

G.E.C.

2 minutes ago, Ozblue said:

It's true, Mate! Legia sold 17,000 tickets on the first day of sale for this match ; that's more than they ever sold playing in the Champions League., and that came direct from the owner of Legia, Dariusz Mioduski.

celtic only took 135 fans to Poland?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, CoatbridgeBear said:

A like to think a know a good amount about world football like the players etc, and there’s about 3 players in their team i’ve heard of. Had a look at the history of the players and they’ve all played for shit teams. One player was on loan at Nuneaton front Fleetwood a few year ago 😂

If you want to keep a positive outlook, don't look at the biographies of our squad.

Defoe, Arfield, Davis, Helander, McGregor all look solid. The rest, err, not so much😲. And we might just be scary good........

6 hours ago, Ozblue said:

Actually, we didn't,mate! We played Górnik Zabrze on two occasions;  in the 1969-70  ECWC and got humped 6-2 on aggregate.  We beat them 4-2 on aggregate in the 1987-88 European Cup 2nd round.  The only other Polish teams we have played are; GKS Katowice, in the  1988-89 UEFA Cup that we won 5-2 on aggregate, and Amica Wronki who we beat 5-0 in the group stages of the 2004-05 UEFA Cup.

The actual history of Amica Wronki is quite amazing for a team from a very small town of around 11,000 in the middle of nowhere (roughly 62km from Poznań)

thanks for clarifying that mate . I remember the 1969 defeat well as it as my second game at ibrox and we had high hopes of beating them .

7 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

Are you using past experiences that ex players have had playing for us and applying them to the current team there?

I’m using atmospheres such as Moscow, Legoland, Pittodrie, Tynecastle, Maribor stadium and of course Ibrox. 

Consider who we’ll be playing and the atmospheres those guys have played in already over the past 12 months ( or longer if you look at Davis, McGregor etc)

Intimidating atmospheres won’t change our game tomorrow and that’s always been the case at Rangers. 

3 minutes ago, kanjo said:

I’m using atmospheres such as Moscow, Legoland, Pittodrie, Tynecastle, Maribor stadium and of course Ibrox. 

Consider who we’ll be playing and the atmospheres those guys have played in already over the past 12 months ( or longer if you look at Davis, McGregor etc)

Intimidating atmospheres won’t change our game tomorrow and that’s always been the case at Rangers. 

Ok but we got beat in Moscow, lost twice at the piggery and drew 0-0 in Maribor. 

6 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

celtic only took 135 fans to Poland?

I'm not sure of the exact figure, but it was very low. I know that ground very well and where the away sector is, so going by the photos I've seen, it certainly wouldn't have been more than 300 maximum.

1 minute ago, OhW said:

Ok but we got beat in Moscow, lost twice at the piggery and drew 0-0 in Maribor. 

And we are playing a against a team who are nowhere near the level of either except Maribor who are the closest and probably better.  

30,000 fans are not going to intimidate us. 

14 minutes ago, kanjo said:

And we are playing a against a team who are nowhere near the level of either except Maribor who are the closest and probably better.  

I didn’t say we would be intimidated by the atmosphere, I said that we actually lost a fair amount of the examples you used to prove your point. 

4 minutes ago, OhW said:

I didn’t say we would be intimidated by the atmosphere, I said that we actually lost a fair amount of the examples you used to prove your point. 

The point I’m making is we are not going to be intimidated. We may have lose those games, against better teams, but their atmospheres were not part of that reason. 

What point is it you were arguing anyway? It seems you already agree with my whole point at the start?

On 19/08/2019 at 13:47, steven33jackie said:

Dropping Helander out the Euro squad for King. Don't understand that one at all. King came on yesterday and his biggest contribution was ?  well nothing really can't recall his name being mentioned for time he was on the pitch. This is to be expected given the fact he has hardly kicked a ball in the last two seasons. So if required he is hardly going to make and telling contribution. Whereas if required Helander would make sense to have on the bench. 

It's a bit like naming Murphy on the bench yesterday, guys just back from an ACL injury picked up on a plastic pitch. Pointless him even being there.

I think it’s more about integrating new people into the squad. Let’s King and Barker go with the team and get to know the lads on an away trip. Morale and unity are huge in any successful team. 

Also lets Helander stay at home and focus on his fitness. 

12 minutes ago, kanjo said:

The point I’m making is we are not going to be intimidated. We may have lose those games, against better teams, but their atmospheres were not part of that reason. 

What point is it you were arguing anyway? It seems you already agree with my whole point at the start?

My point is that I don’t think you can use games we lost as examples of how we aren’t intimidated by hostile atmospheres. 

31 minutes ago, hawkeye said:

thanks for clarifying that mate . I remember the 1969 defeat well as it as my second game at ibrox and we had high hopes of beating them .

I think the vast majority of Rangers fans back then were 100% sure we would wipe the floor with these "nobodys" from Poland, but the problem was that Polish teams were basically an unknown quantity being in the Communist bloc. The fact was the entire team of Górnik Zabrze were all Polish internationalists; at least 8 of them were very seasoned ones at that; none more than the mercurial  Włodzimierz Lubański who is the second all-time highest goal scorer for the Polish national team. Our team was no slouches either, with a team of Gerhard Neef,  Kaj Johansen,  John Greig.  Brian Herron,  Ronnie McKinnon, Andy Penman.    Willie Henderson,  Orjan Persson, Jim Baxter,  Willie Johnston, Colin Stein., yet we couldn't live with them either at Ibrox, or Zabrze.

1 hour ago, kanjo said:

It's not the amount of fans though,kanjo, it's the noise and the pyro/fireworks that is the problem. I have been in stadiums where the atmosphere is electric, but none come close to the Stadion Miejski at Łazienkowska 3. Yes, we have seasoned players that will handle it, but we have a lot of younger lads who haven't.  I think we will leave Warsaw with a decent result as long as we disregard the racket and play to our strengths.

IMG_1108.JPG

IMG_1119.JPG

IMG_1089.JPG

Archived