Let’s play Tavernier at left back!

beararse

We've got a problem at LB, so let's move one of our best players out of position to try and solve it. 

Even if this did happen (which it won't) we don't have another RB good enough to replace Tav, so we would just be moving the problem from LB over to RB.

Harvey Price bastard btw.

7 minutes ago, Ger_onimo said:

Why not try it? Because taking our captain and one of our best players out of the position he excels in to make way for Jon fucking Flanagan is absolutely ridiculous?

The counter to that is ...

So, we persevere with a right back deemed better than any left back we have at the club and who offers next to nothing going forward and will be infinitely better played as a right back AND keep a right  back who can’t defend as a right back and who has also proven to be excellent bombing forward through the middle of the pitch.

By TRYING Tav as left back you instantly improve the defending at right back and the status quo remains at left back (ie square peg in a round hole), but Tav doesn’t really defend. He’s an attacking wing back.

Its not about making way for Flanagan.

Would it not be better to have a full back who can defend in his natural position and one who can’t defend, rather than one who is playing out of position and one who can’t defend?

34 minutes ago, beararse said:

Why not give it a go?

Crazy, I know but hear me out.

Tav is exceptional at driving forward. He could cut in and shoot across the keeper (eg. that Hibs free kick).

He actually does most of his damage these days tearing through the middle from deep.

He can cut in, create space for one of our many left sided wingers and slide balls from in to out all day long. 

Flanagan is a right back, limited going forward but solid defensively and will surely be more comfortable on the right.

And, before you call me a tit for even suggesting this, consider the right footed players who have excelled as a left back before hitting the keyboard.

Doesn't seem like the daftest suggestion that will appear on Rangersmedia....or is it?

🙂 

Tit

Let me get this straight, you want to move 1 of our most creative players to a position where we don't know how he'll play to play the guy(Flanagan) that isn't brilliant already at LB in his place???? 

Also Tavs main asset is his assists and you want to jeopardise that by playing him on the other side where he'll need to cut back onto his right all the time???? 

Yeah great idea 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Even if this was a possibility I'm sure the gaffer would've tried it in friendly training sessions and the fact he's not done it means it's the spasticated idea EVER. 

6 minutes ago, Ross-Gazza genius said:

Let me get this straight, you want to move 1 of our most creative players to a position where we don't know how he'll play to play the guy(Flanagan) that isn't brilliant already at LB in his place???? 

Also Tavs main asset is his assists and you want to jeopardise that by playing him on the other side where he'll need to cut back onto his right all the time???? 

Yeah great idea 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Even if this was a possibility I'm sure the gaffer would've tried it in friendly training sessions and the fact he's not done it means it's the spasticated idea EVER. 

For the umpteenth time ..... TRY Tav at left back. Might be an unmitigated disaster. 

Also, you can cross with your right foot from the left by the way.

Plus a lot of Tav's assist come from going through the middle, it's not always a cross from the wing.

You see Tav numerous times breaking forward and striking a right footed shot across the goal keepers left with little success (the last EL game was a prime example). Put him on the other side and he's bending those into the top corner rather than  dragging them high and wide or weakly at the goal keeper.

1 minute ago, beararse said:

For the umpteenth time ..... TRY Tav at left back. Might be an unmitigated disaster. 

Also, you can cross with your right foot from the left by the way.

Plus a lot of Tav's assist come from going through the middle, it's not always a cross from the wing.

You see Tav numerous times breaking forward and striking a right footed shot across the goal keepers left with little success (the last EL game was a prime example). Put him on the other side and he's bending those into the top corner rather than  dragging them high and wide or weakly at the goal keeper.

You’re actually serious here 😆

36 minutes ago, G.E.C. said:

I don’t ever recall Lahm playing left back apart from a few games for Germany 

Point is he played left back despite being right footed. Germany TRIED him there and it worked. Obviously they felt that this move addressed a weak point at the time.