Let’s play Tavernier at left back!

beararse

1 hour ago, beararse said:

EDIT: All I'm getting is the usual  knee jerk insults. Posted elsewhere on this topic a list of right footed left backs so for the hard of thinking i've added them to this post.

Maldini, Lahm, Irwin, Zanetti, Zambrotta, Howedes, Azpilicueta, Breitner, Junior, Brehme...I could go on.

There have been, and are loads of great right footed left backs.

So, why not give it a go?

Crazy, I know but hear me out.

Tav is exceptional at driving forward. He could cut in and shoot across the keeper (eg. that Hibs free kick).

He actually does most of his damage these days tearing through the middle from deep.

He can cut in, create space for one of our many left sided wingers and slide balls from in to out all day long. 

Flanagan is a right back, limited going forward but solid defensively and will surely be more comfortable on the right.

And, before you call me a tit for even suggesting this, consider the right footed players who have excelled as a left back before hitting the keyboard.

Doesn't seem like the daftest suggestion that will appear on Rangersmedia....or is it?

🙂 

Tit 

The notion of taking one of our best players out of position to then leave us potentially weak at both full back positions is madness. Most of the players mentioned in the OP were also better than pretty decent on their weaker left foot which Tav isn’t even a little bit.

A lot of the players mentioned in the OP also weren’t left backs, just players who occasionally played there out of necessity if there was suitable cover at right back 

In a game where we’re starting with Jones and Arfield behind Morelos I do think Ojo could be better than what we have at left back given his athletic gifts if he can get stuck in, particularly in the OF against that rat Forrest to keep him quiet or against a quick winger in Europe but it isn’t something we’re able to try as we just can’t afford the gamble if he ends up being complete pish out there. Doubt Liverpool would be happy with that either.

We must sign a proper starting Left back 

2 hours ago, beararse said:

EDIT: All I'm getting is the usual  knee jerk insults. Posted elsewhere on this topic a list of right footed left backs so for the hard of thinking i've added them to this post.

Maldini, Lahm, Irwin, Zanetti, Zambrotta, Howedes, Azpilicueta, Breitner, Junior, Brehme...I could go on.

There have been, and are loads of great right footed left backs.

So, why not give it a go?

Crazy, I know but hear me out.

Tav is exceptional at driving forward. He could cut in and shoot across the keeper (eg. that Hibs free kick).

He actually does most of his damage these days tearing through the middle from deep.

He can cut in, create space for one of our many left sided wingers and slide balls from in to out all day long. 

Flanagan is a right back, limited going forward but solid defensively and will surely be more comfortable on the right.

And, before you call me a tit for even suggesting this, consider the right footed players who have excelled as a left back before hitting the keyboard.

Doesn't seem like the daftest suggestion that will appear on Rangersmedia....or is it?

🙂 

124F3FA6-33EA-4494-8133-7D33D143256D.gif.acadea94da4361367c3149654b348ec9.gif

OP's team vs Legia

Halliday

Jones           Fod       McGregor                  ArIbo

Morelos             Defoe                 Ojo           Flanagan

Tav                         Polster 

1 hour ago, rabc10000 said:

Op is forgetting that almost every player he initially mentioned was pretty much world class in his position and most also played other positions as well 

I’m hardly going to list ‘mildly effective right footed left backs’ as examples am I? I’m on a hiding to nothing as it is without mentioning some haddie  who wasn’t very good when asked to play left back.

I wasn’t suggesting Tav as a solution to our left back problem. I was wondering if it might have been a short term solution until we get a decent LB given how shit  our options currently are.