Good or bad scenario?

SteveEarle

5 hours ago, TheCutch said:

No chance it brings in 14m.

Group stage participation is just under €3m with about 500k per win once there.

Being very generous and saying that we make circa £1m per home game after expenses.

That all adds up to approx 5.5m plus whatever we win for points accumulated. 

So how do you come up with a figure of roughly 14m for making the groups? 

I take the whole campaign when trying to figure out how much money we can make, 7 home games alone at an average of £20 a ticket adds up to £7million on it's own....£20 is probably being generous as the group stage package is a good bit dearer with public sale tickets £40 a ticket last season, that is before you sell anything from programs, pies & bovril and match day hospitality....by the time you get your group stage money coupled with tv and points money then the figure does indeed start to rise to the £14 million mark.....granted I'm taking the qualifiers into the equation and not just the group stage👍

9 hours ago, SteveEarle said:

A decent result for us tonight in Warsaw but the tie is certainly still in the balance.  I’ve read a lot of comments on here recently regarding it being detrimental to our chances of winning the league this season should the scum not qualify for the Europa League stages as well as us.  It’s felt they would be much fresher for their league games without midweek European fixtures and perhaps wouldn't drop as many points. They sadly now look like they have one foot in the group stages after tonight’s result.

Obviously I want us to win every game we play and go as far in every competition that we enter as we can but, worst case scenario next Thursday we draw or don’t get through, how many fans would sacrifice a Europa League run if we knew it would stop the pricks winning nine in a row???  Would our freshness and their tiredness be beneficial for us getting 55?

Obviously in an ideal world we do it both, but now that it looks like they’re through would us going out be seen as a complete disaster or possibly beneficial in the long run???

Not an easy question......

Try and stay in every competition for as long as possible. There is a lot to be said for momentum and the feel good factor that comes with extended runs in every competition.

I'd rather be tired trying to win everything than fresher hoping to win something.

Winners don't feel pain, losers do.

We must qualify and we must win the league, playing a higher standard of football will help players and the team get better so when we play the tarriers we are more than a match for them ,.  Like others have said £14m is not to be sniffed at and 2 years in a trot they have made very little money over us in Europe which closes the gap financially   

Sellout Ibrox every cup game now as the Europa league if we get there is a sellout and really boost the clubs budget for players.   

They have wasted millions on duds while recouping  in some big money moves , we spend very very wisley and have better contacts than they do through Gerrard which helps but £2m Katic ? That was a fucking steal , never mind Morelos and a few others   , the other big defender we just bought at £3.5m will be no donkey either and they spent £8m in one centre half they don't play ? Our 4 centre  halfs cost £9m combined and I have faith in everyone of them and when was the last time we could say that?

And if we can't beat that mob at home we don't deserve to go through , 0-0 is a great result in Europe away from home, they now have to face Ibrox and it's 50,000 bouncing  bears this time not 30,000 of their own support.   Can see us taking 2 or 3 off them.

14 minutes ago, beararse said:

Try and stay in every competition for as long as possible. There is a lot to be said for momentum and the feel good factor that comes with extended runs in every competition.

I'd rather be tired trying to win everything than fresher hoping to win something.

Winners don't feel pain, losers do.

Goram said he loved that 92/93 season, said they hardly trained because it was match after match after match, and the feel good factor and the spirit that squad showed that season is the best I ever saw.   

And you are right winners don't feel pain, they become immune to,it and win games even when playing bad, I remember going into the Scottish cup final that year with cunts saying Aberdeen where gonna win  as we had run out of steam?   Big Hateley had other ideas that day.  

Remember back on the road to Manchester up until the semi most bears I know weren't bothered one way or the other if we went thorough or not. Going through was good but had the silver lining of allowing us to focus domestically. 

Today's scenario we do need both as this league and the EL are far more significant than they were to us 12 years ago. we need the money to build for the next season plus we do need to stop these cunts getting 9 

If we were to get put out next week and they progressed, I would be pissed at the time, but next day I know we'd be 100% focused on the league, and they would have the task of playing more games, and potentially having to travel all over Europe before key games. 

Obviously, we would all rather go as far as we can in every competition, but if going out of Europe now means lifting the title in May, then I'm all for it. 

2 minutes ago, Sid2103 said:

If we were to get put out next week and they progressed, I would be pissed at the time, but next day I know we'd be 100% focused on the league, and they would have the task of playing more games, and potentially having to travel all over Europe before key games. 

Obviously, we would all rather go as far as we can in every competition, but if going out of Europe now means lifting the title in May, then I'm all for it. 

I think any bear would take that.    But we don't have a crystal ball,. Lets do both and qualify out our group while winning 55 

A club like ours needs European football. There's the obvious financial implications that effect how to club operate. The club financially have to get the turnover to as close to it was pre-2012 and being in the Europa League group stages helps that. Of course the league is the number one priority but I don't believe we should ever be "happy" to throw away a sizeable bit of money for one year of success that isn't guarenteed.

Qualification to the group stage could lead to the signing of Ryan Kent which could have a ripple effect for the next couple of years financially. In simple terms the more money that comes in, the better standard of players come in which leads to a bigger chance of winning the league which could lead to the CL.

I don't necessarily believe either that being in the group stages hinders our chances of winning the league. Of course people could point to the points dropped by celtic last year but that's out of our control. The only years I can really think of clubs being hindered by Europe is when ourselves and celtic got to UEFA Cup Finals and in celtic's case we were outstanding that year. In 04/05 we got to UEFA cup groups, in 09/10 we were in CL groups and in 10/11, with by far a much smaller squad than we have now, got to the last 16 of the Europa League. The manager this year has built a squad to compete in all 4 competitions and it should be our aim.

Personally I'd be gutted if we don't get through next week! 

13 minutes ago, SIRB_72 said:

A club like ours needs European football. There's the obvious financial implications that effect how to club operate. The club financially have to get the turnover to as close to it was pre-2012 and being in the Europa League group stages helps that. Of course the league is the number one priority but I don't believe we should ever be "happy" to throw away a sizeable bit of money for one year of success that isn't guarenteed.

Qualification to the group stage could lead to the signing of Ryan Kent which could have a ripple effect for the next couple of years financially. In simple terms the more money that comes in, the better standard of players come in which leads to a bigger chance of winning the league which could lead to the CL.

I don't necessarily believe either that being in the group stages hinders our chances of winning the league. Of course people could point to the points dropped by celtic last year but that's out of our control. The only years I can really think of clubs being hindered by Europe is when ourselves and celtic got to UEFA Cup Finals and in celtic's case we were outstanding that year. In 04/05 we got to UEFA cup groups, in 09/10 we were in CL groups and in 10/11, with by far a much smaller squad than we have now, got to the last 16 of the Europa League. The manager this year has built a squad to compete in all 4 competitions and it should be our aim.

Personally I'd be gutted if we don't get through next week! 

This.

10 hours ago, Burts91 said:

We have a squad big enough that they should be able to deal with an extra 6+ games 

At the end of the day that's all it is..........6 extra games maybe 8 if we're lucky.

Success in every competition we enter these days should be our aim as Gerrard has built a squad to compete on all fronts.

imo success in the Europa league would be to qualify for the group stages and anything there after would be a bonus.

Domestically Rangers should always be going for every trophy available and that's the case this season.

(Lennon will be gone by the end of the season and with it his tainted legacy at paedophiles paradise)

14 hours ago, Burts91 said:

We have a squad big enough that they should be able to deal with an extra 6+ games 

One of the selling points made when brining players to Scotland is participation in European football.  Plus, the money gained from European qualification (prize, TV, and gate money) could buy us a very good player like Ryan Kent.  There's no upside to being knocked out.  

As you say, it's only 6 additional games we have enough players to field two teams FFS.

The impression I have from those who speak for Rangers is that earning money via playing in Europe is the most important priority.  

Gerrard said as much in a recent interview when he said (paraphrasing) that at every Board meeting he had ever attended it had been made clear to him how important runs in European football are for Rangers.    I don't think he was confining his comment to re-establishing European track record credentials: the impression I have is that it is primarily the money that runs in Europe generate.    

He's also made it clear on a number of occasions that Rangers is a selling club.   All of the players have a price at which Rangers would let them move on to other Clubs.   I suppose the same would be true if it applied to Gerrard himself.   

What is also telling, imo, is that Gerrard (nor any director or anyone senior at Ibrox ever states that winning the league title is the number one priority which overrides everything else.   They just don't say that.  What they are careful to say is that Rangers competes to win every trophy it plays for.      Which is nowhere near the same as the emphasis they seem to put on the essential need to have good runs in Europe.    Its a question of priorities and the top priority seems to be about earning money.   

If that, in substance, is a reasonable indicator of the priorities, then the result against Legia Warsaw next week assumes top priority (............….which is what Gerrard - and King if anybody could find him to ask him - would probably say anyway purely because it is the next game in a 'one game at a time' type of thinking which deflects away from the overall potential impact for a season).

Win against Legia Warsaw and everyone is very happy.   The manager, players and Support because its more great European nights ahead.   The Board because its achieving their top priority which is to generate money.

Lose and there could be a bit of decent sized problem looming.   The squad size is super-healthy (bloated even) in terms of numbers - aside that is from not having enough quality strikers.   But its not necessarily of sufficient quality overall in every position.     It seems to have been sized with the intention of being strongly competitive for European and domestic competitions being fought in parallel.   

But it'd be a big wage bill, and a difficult job to keep all players happy and motivated if the season becomes one where there is no European football.    If after that no domestic trophies are won this season then as the saying goes - there may be trouble ahead.  Because carrying that size of first team squad with its associated wage bill and not winning anything and not having got through to the more financially beneficial group stages in Europe might be very hard to sustain financially.         It's a very important game next week.    One of the most important games in a very long time it seems to me.     

1 minute ago, Reformation Bear said:

The impression I have from those who speak for Rangers is that earning money via playing in Europe is the most important priority.  

Gerrard said as much in a recent interview when he said (paraphrasing) that at every Board meeting he had ever attended it had been made clear to him how important runs in European football are for Rangers.    I don't think he was confining his comment to re-establishing European track record credentials: the impression I have is that it is primarily the money that runs in Europe generate.    

He's also made it clear on a number of occasions that Rangers is a selling club.   All of the players have a price at which Rangers would let them move on to other Clubs.   I suppose the same would be true if it applied to Gerrard himself.   

What is also telling, imo, is that Gerrard (nor any director or anyone senior at Ibrox ever states that winning the league title is the number one priority which overrides everything else.   They just don't say that.  What they are careful to say is that Rangers competes to win every trophy it plays for.      Which is nowhere near the same as the emphasis they seem to put on the essential need to have good runs in Europe.    Its a question of priorities and the top priority seems to be about earning money.   

If that, in substance, is a reasonable indicator of the priorities, then the result against Legia Warsaw next week assumes top priority (............….which is what Gerrard - and King if anybody could find him to ask him - would probably say anyway purely because it is the next game in a 'one game at a time' type of thinking which deflects away from the overall potential impact for a season).

Win against Legia Warsaw and everyone is very happy.   The manager, players and Support because its more great European nights ahead.   The Board because its achieving their top priority which is to generate money.

Lose and there could be a bit of decent sized problem looming.   The squad size is super-healthy (bloated even) in terms of numbers - aside that is from not having enough quality strikers.   But its not necessarily of sufficient quality overall in every position.     It seems to have been sized with the intention of being strongly competitive for European and domestic competitions being fought in parallel.   

But it'd be a big wage bill, and a difficult job to keep all players happy and motivated if the season becomes one where there is no European football.    If after that no domestic trophies are won this season then as the saying goes - there may be trouble ahead.  Because carrying that size of first team squad with its associated wage bill and not winning anything and not having got through to the more financially beneficial group stages in Europe might be very hard to sustain financially.         It's a very important game next week.    One of the most important games in a very long time it seems to me.     

Cracking post and I don't disagree with any of it

5 hours ago, hammer93 said:

I take the whole campaign when trying to figure out how much money we can make, 7 home games alone at an average of £20 a ticket adds up to £7million on it's own....£20 is probably being generous as the group stage package is a good bit dearer with public sale tickets £40 a ticket last season, that is before you sell anything from programs, pies & bovril and match day hospitality....by the time you get your group stage money coupled with tv and points money then the figure does indeed start to rise to the £14 million mark.....granted I'm taking the qualifiers into the equation and not just the group stage👍

Remember the costs we have to pay out of the ticket money aswell though mate. Stewarding, policing, staff along with electric and general running costs etc... it must eat into the ticket money quite considerably.

Then we have the away fixtures with chartered flights, hotel etc... 

All these things need taking into consideration when trying (because none of us know tbh) to work out just how much we make from group stage participation. 👍