Gerrard Urges Fans To Cut It Out

The only way I see uefa not punishing the club again is basically to refrain from sing anti pope anti catholic songs.    For me there’s nothing wrong with the traditional Rangers songs aswell as the sash udr4 etc. Songs that tell a story.    All uefa have done now is make it easy for the SFA to hand down stand/stadium closures for games and quite frankly that is totally unfair to people who have no interest in specific songs and quite embarrassing aswell

First off, we know if we sing certain songs in Europe, rightly or wrongly we’ll get punished. So don’t do it. Quite simple really. Replace ‘Fenians’ with ‘Green Yins’ if we want to body swerve UEFA Regulation 14.

That said, for those interested.....

Definition of Fenian: 

A member of the Irish Republican Brotherhood, a 19th-century revolutionary nationalist organization among the Irish in the US and Ireland. The Fenians staged an unsuccessful revolt in Ireland in 1867 and were responsible for isolated revolutionary acts against the British until the early 20th century, when they were gradually eclipsed by the IRA

The movement referred to as the Fenians encompasses a series of Irish Republican organisations, spanning Ireland and America dedicated to the pursuit of Irish independence from Britain, by force if necessary. The Fenians’ stated aim was an Irish democratic Republic based on universal male suffrage. They decried the ‘curse of monarchical government’ and called for ‘the complete separation of Church and state’. For this they gained the enduring enmity of the Catholic Church in Ireland, especially Cardinal Cullen of Dublin. His colleague Bishop Moriarty of Kerry famously declared that ‘hell was not hot enough’ for the Fenians.

Definition of Enmity:

A state or feeling of active opposition or hostility.

Definition of Sectarianism:

Excessive attachment to a particular sect or party, especially in religion

Definition of Sect:

A group of people with somewhat different religious beliefs (typically regarded as heretical) from those of a larger group to which they belong.

Definition of Terrorist:

A person who uses unlawful violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

UEFA Regulation 14:

Any person under the scope of Article 3 who insults the human dignity of a person or group of persons on whatever grounds, including skin colour, race, religion or ethnic origin, incurs a suspension lasting at least ten matches or a specified period of time, or any other appropriate sanction....

So, what we can draw from the above us that the Fenian movement was vehemently opposed by the Catholic Church.

Therefore the  Fenian Rising was about nationalism: separation achieved by force and not driven by religion. As such, the Fenians do not fall under the definition of a Sect.

Logic would suggest If they aren’t a sect then songs regarding them cannot be deemed sectarian.

The Fenians, and laterally the IRA, carried out terrorist acts for their own end.

So singing about Fenian blood is about countering nationalism achieved through force and terrorism, and not about religion, regardless of the views that may or may not be held by those fans who sing them.

Whether these songs are necessary or relevant when supporting a football team is another matter altogether.

As an aside, taking UEFA Regulation 14 word for word, Rangers would get into trouble if the fans decided to adopt songs rallying against ISIS, which after all has its roots deeply ingrained in religion (as warped as their interpretation may be) and is therefore a sect.

That doesn’t seem right does it so perhaps their regulations are flawed.

36 minutes ago, loyalfollower said:

The only way I see uefa not punishing the club again is basically to refrain from sing anti pope anti catholic songs.    For me there’s nothing wrong with the traditional Rangers songs aswell as the sash udr4 etc. Songs that tell a story.    All uefa have done now is make it easy for the SFA to hand down stand/stadium closures for games and quite frankly that is totally unfair to people who have no interest in specific songs and quite embarrassing aswell

Uefa are not the Sfa . The clubs have not voted for zero tolerance , so they can't just start punishing us .:ohmy:

Having said that . With this spineless shower of fucking wankers running our club. Wouldn't be surprised if they target us and our board cave in , as per usual .

46 minutes ago, Boyd9her said:

Gerrard should of said ‘The Club has released a statement and I won’t be adding anything else’ That shuts down any attempt any Journo makes for a story 

Why? Sanctions against the club make his job more difficult, why would he not do what he can to prevent them?

7 hours ago, Blueray said:

Of course there should be exact clarification. If stadiums are threatened with closure its incumbent upon Uefa to inform clubs which words are deemed sectarian. 

Singing against the Ira a hated terrorist group or the Snp equally a hated political separatist group couldn't possibly be deemed sectarian so Uefa would have to clearly define the words they have identified as sectarian otherwise it could very easily end up as pure semantics in a court of law to decide upon. 

Uefa aren't a law unto themselves and have to act within the grounds of wider law provisions.

I said it was a fair question - but I can guarantee we WILL not get clarification. UEFA will not give license to allow loopholes. We police our songs ourselves or else. 

I can’t understand why people don’t get that.  They will not play the ‘teacher to a classroom of 9 year olds!’ 

All this for words of a song what the fuck is the world coming to its all right for a man to be a woman an to worry about climate change but dont dare sing this song i greatly admire SG and what he has done for us but come on he wasnt prepared for this bigtory that i dont swallow

5 minutes ago, Zulu said:

All this for words of a song what the fuck is the world coming to its all right for a man to be a woman an to worry about climate change but dont dare sing this song i greatly admire SG and what he has done for us but come on he wasnt prepared for this bigtory that i dont swallow

Jesus Christ :lol:

12 minutes ago, Zulu said:

It’s health and safety gone mad mate.

36 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

No fucking coincidence, sadly we have some our own just roll their eyes at that. 

I was fishing mate. 

Absolute crackpottery thinking that’s the case.

We commit a crime it gets reported we get punished.

we just have to hope/action the same applies elsewhere 

27 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

Bizarre that there's so many folk on here that can't see that the simple solution here is to just not sing the song. All I've been reading since yesterday is:

"Replace the word fenians with paedophiles/green yins"

"The board aren't defending us"

"What about the taigs or (insert random European team here) doing whatever and getting away with it"

"This is Peter Lawwell's doing"

"Fenian doesn't mean what UEFA think it means, we need to fight it"

Place is absolutely littered with halfwits.

Just amazed that people are more than happy to sing songs knowing that it damages the club yet see it as a right as they have done it for years. 

1 hour ago, BlueMe said:

"Replace fenians with green yins"

Place is a shambles tbh.

Aye, yer right.

Just keep singing it then and eventually get us fucked out of Europe!

I said  ‘if’ we want to avoid punishment.

Either don't sing the songs or adapt them to avoid accusations and punishment. That too hard to understand?

Well seeing you chose to ignore the intellectual element of my post justifying the use of the word ‘Fenian’.

1 hour ago, beararse said:

First off, we know if we sing certain songs in Europe, rightly or wrongly we’ll get punished. So don’t do it. Quite simple really. Replace ‘Fenians’ with ‘Green Yins’ if we want to body swerve UEFA Regulation 14.

I"ve been using Greenyins for years. 😮

47 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

Bizarre that there's so many folk on here that can't see that the simple solution here is to just not sing the song. All I've been reading since yesterday is:

"What about the taigs or (insert random European team here) doing whatever and getting away with it"

Re: Gteen Yin's.

Read my post again

I never said we should sing the songs.

i said ‘ if’ fans persist then change the words to avoid punishment.

I kept my opinion out of my reply as opinion is irrelevant to the debate..

For what it’s worth, I dont think we should  be singing them. They have no place in modern day football and only leads to punishment. 

Stop signing certain songs and we take the morale high ground.

Times have changed. Most of what was acceptable then, is no longer.

8 minutes ago, beararse said:

Aye, yer right.

Just keep singing it then and eventually get us fucked out of Europe!

I said  ‘if’ we want to avoid punishment.

Either don't sing the songs or adapt them to avoid accusations and punishment. That too hard to understand?

Well seeing you chose to ignore the intellectual element of my post justifying the use of the word ‘Fenian’.

Suggesting that adults should sing "up to our knees in green yin blood" as a way of avoiding punishment is definitely intellectual.

Idiot :lol:

50 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

Outwith this charge yesterday, This board aren’t defending us and never have done.

anyone who thinks they have is a halfwit.

4 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

Suggesting that adults should sing "up to our knees in green yin blood" as a way of avoiding punishment is definitely intellectual.

Idiot :lol:

It might well be....

but it’s far less idiotic than continuing to sing ‘Fenian blood’, getting the capacity reduced by 3000, running further risk of playing behind closed doors and ultimately getting banned from Europe.

Carefully consider the above and if you still think I’m being idiotic then Christ knows what that makes you.