What Should Be the Line-Up for Coming Games?

BearInTheToon

So now that the squad is confirmed and we know who’s in/out, what do we reckon should be the line up we go with in the short-term for the coming games?

It’s been clear for weeks that Arfield, Aribo and Ojo (Danes at home, aside) haven’t been at it and look fucked/off it. Add to that, Goldson has been up and down and Tav hasn’t looked himself either.

Personally, I’d be interested to see Stewart in the Arfield role. Similar players, tidy feet, can pick a pass, find spaces between the lines.  And for me, Aribo has had a hefty loss of form for a few games now, so I’d be interested to see King. 

SG has spoken a lot about having a squad/two players for every position. Yet, frustratingly, he hasn’t actually utilised it resulting in, for my money, players like Arfield, Aribo and Ojo looking like they’re spent/needing a break.

If Aribo’s, Arfield’s and Goldson’s form picked up dramatically, they’d likely be first choices but based on the last few games, I’d be interested to see for a few games something along the lines of:

McGregor 

Tav          Katic          Helander    Barasic

Davis

Jack                     King

Stewart                                       Kent

Morelos

Subs:

Fod, Goldson, Flanagan, Aribo, Arfield, Ojo, Defoe

Thoughts?

As it stands, for our next game which is Livingston at home a week on Sat, I'd go:

McGregor 

Tav  Edmundson Katic Barisic

Jack Davis

Ojo.                Arfield.           Kent

Morelos

Widemen stretching play both forward and wide, Arfield playing closer to Morelos. Jack and Davis rotating positions and roles as they have been but not in any way both holding. Full backs both offering attacking support.

There's goals in that team.

5 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

As it stands, for our next game which is Livingston at home a week on Sat, I'd go:

McGregor 

Tav  Edmundson Katic Barisic

Jack Davis

Ojo.                Arfield.           Kent

Morelos

Wiseman stretching play both forward and wide, Arfield playing closer to Morelos. Jack and Davis rotating positions and roles as they have been but not in any way both holding. Full backs both offering attacking support.

There's goals in that team.

Not enough in the middle 

McGregor 

Tav Katic Edmundson Barasic

Davis Jack Aribo 

Arfield                            Kent 

Morelos 

bit harsh on Flanagan but I think with Kent cutting in on the left we need the width Barasic provides. 

10 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

McGregor 

Tav Katic Edmundson Barasic

Davis Jack Aribo 

Arfield                            Kent 

Morelos 

bit harsh on Flanagan but I think with Kent cutting in on the left we need the width Barasic provides. 

This should be the team but Helander will play ahead of George.

Everyone going way over the top on Aribo. He’s had a quiet few games in middle of the park but was hung out to dry out left on Sunday. The boy is a player and will be a mainstay in that midfield.

1 minute ago, Smell the hotdog said:

Everyone going way over the top on Aribo. He’s had a quiet few games in middle of the park but was hung out to dry out left on a Sunday. The boy is a player and will be a mainstay in that midfield.

Aribo will be a big player for us this year, can’t judge him on an old firm debut played out of position.

8 minutes ago, Smell the hotdog said:

Everyone going way over the top on Aribo. He’s had a quiet few games in middle of the park but was hung out to dry out left on a Sunday. The boy is a player and will be a mainstay in that midfield.

I agree mate re Aribo being a mainstay. He’s going to be a serious player. Hopefully the break does him good as he’s been off it for a few games. But if not, we need to change things up. And King has come in as this EPL winning, scoring AM.

Arfield on form, there’s no doubt. But he’s badly off the pace and is now away with Canada (I believe?). So more games, more travel, more fatigue... 

8 minutes ago, BearInTheToon said:

I agree mate re Aribo being a mainstay. He’s going to be a serious player. Hopefully the break does him good as he’s been off it for a few games. But if not, we need to change things up. And King has come in as this EPL winning, scoring AM.

Arfield on form, there’s no doubt. But he’s badly off the pace and is now away with Canada (I believe?). So more games, more travel, more fatigue... 

Wish Arfield would patch Canada, he clearly needs a rest. 

Need Morelos to start and keep Defoe for the Europa if we’re rotating. The league is the priority.

Midfield of Jack Davis Aribo

Ojo and Kent either side of Morelos.

Huge fan of Arfield but he’s wasted in that wide role. Should be moved into the midfield 3 when needed.

Our squad and players are so suited to a 352. But for some reason it doesnt work or we just havent gave it time cause we dont have it.

Mcgregor

Goldson Katic Helander

Davis

Tavernier   Jack   Aribo    Kent 

Morelos  Defoe

Subs. Fods, edmundson, kamara, barisic, Arfield  Ojo

9 minutes ago, Nk89 said:

Our squad and players are so suited to a 352. But for some reason it doesnt work or we just havent gave it time cause we dont have it.

Mcgregor

Goldson Katic Helander

Davis

Tavernier   Jack   Aribo    Kent 

Morelos  Defoe

Subs. Fods, edmundson, kamara, barisic, Arfield  Ojo

It's all about opinions mate so, fair play.  But I really think 352 is totally unnecessary in our league.  It means an extra body at the back when most teams play just one up front.  And for the more physical, faster teams, they'd pinned our wingbacks back and double up on them at times.  I think we just need to get better at playing/find the perfect combination of players to play 433 which for me is a better option than even 4231, which can leave the midfield being overrun when even average teams pack that area.

McGregor 

Tav          Katic          Helander    Barasic

Davis

Jack                     King

Stewart                                       Kent

Morelos