Any singer/guitarists

WBD

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, johanhentze said:

Ive got 3 SGs haha. 2 Gibsons and an Epiphone :D Love Strats.. amazing sounding guitars and so easy to play!

You should do a solo album where you play all the instruments. Dave Grohl did that for the Foos first album

On 12/07/2020 at 22:33, Swally said:

Lol 3? Why do you have that many?

My first ever guitar was a cherry sunburst epiphone. Wish I never sold it tbh, even if it was just for the memories. Good bang for buck and I thought it looked pretty cool too.

Well.. started out with the Epiphone when I was very young.. Got a 90s SG after that. Then I got offered the 60s one + 60s Fender Twin and I just had to do the deal. I dont sell instruments, so.... im fucked! Thank fuck I bought a house :lol: 

9 hours ago, Willis said:

Ukuleles a great wee instrument to learn, it's small and light you can just sit anywhere and play it and if they have decent strings even a cheap one can sound nice and it's quiet enough that I can play when the Mrs or the weans are asleep or take it out with me instead of lugging a guitar up the hills for a bevvy 😂

The strings are some kind of nylon I can't remember the brand but I just asked the guy in the shop for the best ukulele string they had, that was a couple years ago and I still have the same strings on it

The one I have i originally bought for my daughter trying to teach her that since she was too small for a guitar, it's just a cheap 30 quid one with a Union jack on it but plays and sounds good enough for me but I'm planning on upgrading to a mahogany one at some point

If you can play guitar you can play ukulele pretty much, it's just different chord shapes but it's simple to learn and only 4 strings.

Aye, I can play the guitar and I've had a shot of my mate's Ukulele, that had those nylon strings your talking about on it too. Could never get use to it tho, fingers kept trying to do guitar shapes so kept fucking up on if. I wasn't sure if you could get metal strings on them, but I seen that the really expensive ones have metal strings but I actually think it sounds better with the nylon.

A banjo looks fun to play, lots of finger picking which I love, but with it only having 5 strings i know i would have the same problems as I had with the Ukulele so I've never even attempted to play one. 

30 minutes ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

Aye, I can play the guitar and I've had a shot of my mate's Ukulele, that had those nylon strings your talking about on it too. Could never get use to it tho, fingers kept trying to do guitar shapes so kept fucking up on if. I wasn't sure if you could get metal strings on them, but I seen that the really expensive ones have metal strings but I actually think it sounds better with the nylon.

A banjo looks fun to play, lots of finger picking which I love, but with it only having 5 strings i know i would have the same problems as I had with the Ukulele so I've never even attempted to play one. 

I've been hinting to the Mrs about getting a banjo for years now, I love all sorts of old blues style music so reckon I'd get right into the banjo, doubt I'll get permission to get one any time soon tho 😂

When you play guitar do you usually play with a pick? For years I barely ever played with a pick and only really started consistently using one when I started playing more Metal songs, but I found that ukulele came really easy for me and maybe it's cause I hardly ever used a pick

Another great and relatively easy instrument to learn the basics of is harmonica. They're all in the same key so there's no "wrong" notes, and if you can play it along with a guitar it really gives you lots of new options and things to play. I got one a few years ago and play it with my guitar all the time, im not great at bends and stuff but I'm good enough to sit for an hour and just enjoy playing it and I found it just as easy to play harmonica along with guitar as it is to sing along although I know some folk who find it difficult

The first instrument I learned was drums but we lived in the states when I was a teenager and started playing then my dad made me sell my drums before moving back to Scotland, but im considering buying another kit if I can get a decent second hand one, either that or I'm going to get myself a squier bass

Anyone have a Boss Katana amp?

I bought the Boss Katana Mk2 a few months back and it's fantastic, ive been dedicated to playing guitar for about 8 years now and this is the first proper amp I've owned, I had the regular squier amp for years and 2 years ago got the little Blackstar Fly 3, which is an absolutely fantastic little practice/travel amp that I'd recommend for anyone looking for a portable or bedroom amp, but I thought the squier amp to the Blackstar was a good upgrade but fuck me, I had no idea how much better a decent amp sounds compared to a cheap small one, I love my Katana, but there's one minor issue with it that's more of an inconvenience than a problem, well it's actually two problems

First of all, I know there's separate channels and you can program them to remember certain settings which is what im almost sure is the source of the problem here but I'm being lazy and asking here first. When I turn the amp on the delay and reverb turn on automatically even if the knobs are turned to zero, so I need to turn them up then back down to turn the settings off again, I'm assuming this is just cause that channel must be programmed that way inadvertently? Or has anyone else has this issue?

Another issue is if I plug my pedal in, my main pedal is a Boss ME70 multi effects pedal. So say I have the pedal either off or have all the effects off on it, I can play and have a nice clean sound from the amp, but then say I kick the metal overdrive effect on my pedal on and I hear the feedback/gain sound like usual, but then I play for a bit then turn off the overdrive pedal sometimes, but not every time, only sometimes I'll still hear that feedback/gain sound,m and the amp will still have some level of distortion/overdrive

The overdrive problem almost seems like my pedal is causing some interference with the signal to the amp and the amp still thinks overdrive is on or something like that

I know I'm probably not describing this well. And its only a minor inconvenience anyway but if anyone has had similar issues and sorted it id appreciate any input

30 minutes ago, theblueoysterbar said:

A half-famous guitarist once lent me one of his Boss turbo pedals and for the life in me I couldn't work out what to do with it.

I'm sure this won't help at all.

It doesn't but i like your confidence

3 hours ago, Willis said:

I bought the Boss Katana Mk2 a few months back and it's fantastic, ive been dedicated to playing guitar for about 8 years now and this is the first proper amp I've owned, I had the regular squier amp for years and 2 years ago got the little Blackstar Fly 3, which is an absolutely fantastic little practice/travel amp that I'd recommend for anyone looking for a portable or bedroom amp, but I thought the squier amp to the Blackstar was a good upgrade but fuck me, I had no idea how much better a decent amp sounds compared to a cheap small one, I love my Katana, but there's one minor issue with it that's more of an inconvenience than a problem, well it's actually two problems

First of all, I know there's separate channels and you can program them to remember certain settings which is what im almost sure is the source of the problem here but I'm being lazy and asking here first. When I turn the amp on the delay and reverb turn on automatically even if the knobs are turned to zero, so I need to turn them up then back down to turn the settings off again, I'm assuming this is just cause that channel must be programmed that way inadvertently? Or has anyone else has this issue?

Another issue is if I plug my pedal in, my main pedal is a Boss ME70 multi effects pedal. So say I have the pedal either off or have all the effects off on it, I can play and have a nice clean sound from the amp, but then say I kick the metal overdrive effect on my pedal on and I hear the feedback/gain sound like usual, but then I play for a bit then turn off the overdrive pedal sometimes, but not every time, only sometimes I'll still hear that feedback/gain sound,m and the amp will still have some level of distortion/overdrive

The overdrive problem almost seems like my pedal is causing some interference with the signal to the amp and the amp still thinks overdrive is on or something like that

I know I'm probably not describing this well. And its only a minor inconvenience anyway but if anyone has had similar issues and sorted it id appreciate any input

Not really got time to answer in full here mate, but it COULD be that you're standing too close to the amp when you kick in the pedals? I have a similar thing happen with my Line 6 pod. Try moving a bit further away or turning the gain down? Sorry if that's too basic an answer :tu: 

4 hours ago, theblueoysterbar said:

A half-famous guitarist once lent me one of his Boss turbo pedals and for the life in me I couldn't work out what to do with it.

I'm sure this won't help at all.

If you plug it into your car battery then plug your car into it, it will make you go faster.

5 hours ago, Willis said:

I remember our guitarist having an issue with Delay on his Katana similar to yours. Try factory resetting it, sure that worked.

Set the POWER CONTROL knob to STANDBY.

Press & hold the PANEL button and turn the power on.
The BOOSTER/MOD, DELAY/FX, and REVERB indicators start to blink while the factory reset is being processed.

Release your finger.
It takes approximately 20 seconds to complete the factory reset.
When the PANEL indicator flashes, the procedure has been successfully completed.

Turn the power off.

All this modern digital multi effects stuff does my head in. Maybe I'm too old to bother investing the time to learn how to use it all. 

All you need is a Les Paul with humbuckers, bridge pick up selected, volume pot at 10, tone at 3 through a Fender Tweed Twin cranked to max on everything except reverb and as much volume as your ears or neighbours can handle. 

No hiding from bum notes and enough power to kick you in the arse. 

43 minutes ago, offminorthreat said:

All this modern digital multi effects stuff does my head in. Maybe I'm too old to bother investing the time to learn how to use it all. 

All you need is a Les Paul with humbuckers, bridge pick up selected, volume pot at 10, tone at 3 through a Fender Tweed Twin cranked to max on everything except reverb and as much volume as your ears or neighbours can handle. 

I've got an old Fostex R8 reel to reel, but it's far easier to use a daw to record music, so I hardly use it. I keep things like that because I like to collect vintage stuff.

Personally I think there's a place for everything, I use clean, heavily distorted and heavily effected sounds in my music.

No offence, but I think if everyone went with your formula, music would be boring as fuck :lol:

9 hours ago, LegendofCoop said:

Not really got time to answer in full here mate, but it COULD be that you're standing too close to the amp when you kick in the pedals? I have a similar thing happen with my Line 6 pod. Try moving a bit further away or turning the gain down? Sorry if that's too basic an answer :tu: 

8 hours ago, Malkytfp1 said:

I remember our guitarist having an issue with Delay on his Katana similar to yours. Try factory resetting it, sure that worked.

Set the POWER CONTROL knob to STANDBY.

Press & hold the PANEL button and turn the power on.
The BOOSTER/MOD, DELAY/FX, and REVERB indicators start to blink while the factory reset is being processed.

Release your finger.
It takes approximately 20 seconds to complete the factory reset.
When the PANEL indicator flashes, the procedure has been successfully completed.

Turn the power off.

Cheers guys I'll give it a bash later on

5 hours ago, offminorthreat said:

Aye a lot of stuff looks like you need to have a degree in computer science to figure them out

I was looking for a multi effects pedal for a while cause I didn't want to be spending 70 quid a time on pedals, was going to get the boss GT100 but it was like all digital and looked like it would confuse fuck out of me so I got the ME70 which is older and just has knobs to change the levels, plug it in and ready to go, I know a lot of pedal elitists dont like the big multi pedals but I love it

16 hours ago, Willis said:

I've been hinting to the Mrs about getting a banjo for years now, I love all sorts of old blues style music so reckon I'd get right into the banjo, doubt I'll get permission to get one any time soon tho 😂

When you play guitar do you usually play with a pick? For years I barely ever played with a pick and only really started consistently using one when I started playing more Metal songs, but I found that ukulele came really easy for me and maybe it's cause I hardly ever used a pick

Another great and relatively easy instrument to learn the basics of is harmonica. They're all in the same key so there's no "wrong" notes, and if you can play it along with a guitar it really gives you lots of new options and things to play. I got one a few years ago and play it with my guitar all the time, im not great at bends and stuff but I'm good enough to sit for an hour and just enjoy playing it and I found it just as easy to play harmonica along with guitar as it is to sing along although I know some folk who find it difficult

The first instrument I learned was drums but we lived in the states when I was a teenager and started playing then my dad made me sell my drums before moving back to Scotland, but im considering buying another kit if I can get a decent second hand one, either that or I'm going to get myself a squier bass

Na, I don't usually use a pick. Just bare fingers (callous like a brick now💪). Think it's cause I played mainly with just the 2 same Guitars for years with a few shots of pals guitars on a few occasions so the chord shapes are ingrained into my hands any time I have picked up an instrument with anything other than 6 strings (bar a 12 stringer I own) my hands automatically go straight into the guitar chord shapes when I go to change chords so I fuck up and its frustrating as hell cause I spent so many hours learning all the guitar chord shapes. 

You're right about the Harmonica, really easy to play and great fun. It's loud as fuck though so I don't get to play with it as much as I'd like to. Sends the Mrs nutts anytime she sees me pull it out😁 

Even going to the opposite side of the house doesn't help🤣🤣 

What's you're theory about the pick being a problem with switching the string instruments about? Like I said, I don't really use one so can't think of why it would be a problem???🤔

1 minute ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

Na, I don't usually use a pick. Just bare fingers (callous like a brick now💪). Think it's cause I played mainly with just the 2 same Guitars for years with a few shots of pals guitars on a few occasions so the chord shapes are ingrained into my hands any time I have picked up an instrument with anything other than 6 strings (bar a 12 stringer I own) my hands automatically go straight into the guitar chord shapes when I go to change chords so I fuck up and its frustrating as hell cause I spent so many hours learning all the guitar chord shapes. 

You're right about the Harmonica, really easy to play and great fun. It's loud as fuck though so I don't get to play with it as much as I'd like to. Sends the Mrs nutts anytime she sees me pull it out😁 

Even going to the opposite side of the house doesn't help🤣🤣 

What's you're theory about the pick being a problem with switching the string instruments about? Like I said, I don't really use one so can't think of why it would be a problem???🤔

Not sure mate I just thought that cause I rarely used a pick that it maybe made it easier for my fingers to adjust to a different instrument but if you also don't really use one then fuck knows 😂

1 minute ago, Willis said:

Not sure mate I just thought that cause I rarely used a pick that it maybe made it easier for my fingers to adjust to a different instrument but if you also don't really use one then fuck knows 😂

I think it's just "muscle memory" that's the problem. Wouldn't want to possibly get used to other shapes then having that mess with my guitar chords. Would hate it if I went to change chords and accidentally do a Uke or banjo shape when I pick up my guitar again. Think I would cry if that happened 🤣🤣

2 minutes ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

I think it's just "muscle memory" that's the problem. Wouldn't want to possibly get used to other shapes then having that mess with my guitar chords. Would hate it if I went to change chords and accidentally do a Uke or banjo shape when I pick up my guitar again. Think I would cry if that happened 🤣🤣

I doubt that would happen mate I haven't had that issue. The strings in ukulele are so light you don't need to press down as hard and therefore don't need as much muscle memory, most of the basic chords on ukulele only use two fingers. Think the first song I learned on Uke was Blue Red and Grey by the Who. 

I find that it's helped a lot with fingerpicking too since there's only four strings, really helped me get faster and have better rhythm when playing finger style

14 hours ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

Doesn't happen, I play 5  instruments. 

I'll even give you a great example of why it doesn't matter at all. 

I can touch type in english, and I wanted to learn russian and thought it would speed things up if I learned to touch type in Russian.  I also didn't want to attach a russian keyboard to my laptop or stick russian stickers to my keys.

kbd_russian.gif

I had a fear this would  fuck up my ability to touch type in English, especially when there are sometimes the same letters on the russian and english keyboards but they're in different positions. Examples being O A E H. 

This didn't happen, and although I'm still very basic regarding my russian, I can touch type in russian and it's helping me learn the language.

My brain goes into a russian typing mode, then a couple of seconds later I start touch typing in english.

Same with playing uke and guitar, you just go into a different mode when you pick up the other instrument.

You might have some teething problems but they are very short lasting.

Got an Ernie Ball cutlass and love it together with my Marshall G30r  amp and small pedal board(looper,delay,fuzz,overdrive,heavy distortion and EQ) sounds great

As far as digital i've got guitar rig 10 and fucking hate it,it lags a tiny bit so you always feel like your tempo is slowing down :confused:.Fucked about with on and off for years and cant get it right.

Archived