Remembering Jock Wallace

mrmojorisin

It broke my heart as a young boy when he left for Leicester on the back of another treble.....by the time he came back the club and personell had changed which made his task unenviable....a true giant of our club and history 

GBNF 

Outside Ibrox before a game, early 70s, I ran over to him with my programme and asked him for an autograph. 'Sure, son' and he holds out his hand for my pen. Which I don't have ... 'What kind of Rangers fan are you with no pen' he growls, takes the programme, signs it and winks at me (I'm terrified by that point) .  Later, in the 1980s, I was living in Leicester and regularly watched the fine team he put together there, including the young Lineker. Great man, Mr Wallace. 

9 minutes ago, Copland bear said:

My favourite all time Rangers manager, just won his second treble in 3 seasons and left Greig a team who almost won the treble in 1978-79 season which was my first full season .

I would have him as manager of my favourite Rangers team.

Shiw me a bear over 40 who does not like Jock Wallace , and I'll show you a non Rangers fan.   

Snap..it was being dragged doon so see your auld gran(no pics you sick fucks lol) on a Saturday who stayed in KP and my step granda was staunch as fuck(was well known around the KP bars) and taught me all the ditties of the day and much to my grannies chargin and that was around 1975 so I vaguely remember the first one  as that bug took hold of this 6 year old bear cub  and soon found out who Mr Jock Wallace was... A gentleman and a proper Rangers man and Imo up there with the likes of Struth Wadell and and Smith as true Rangers legends worthy of the the respect of you younger bears who were not around at the time 

By God what a team that was 

When he was manager at Motherwell, he played as a guest at Cochrane Castle GC where I was a junior member at the time. Played in front of me all the way round and, as our paths crossed when I was playing to a green he’d just walked off,  he said ‘nice shot son’ in his strong manner, I just mumbled ‘thanks Mr Wallace’ . A couple of holes later he gave me a can of irn bru. Couldn’t wait to tell my dad when he picked me up after the game. 

A proper legend of our club. 

17 hours ago, SteveEarle said:

I remember genuine excitement of him coming back and taking over from Greig as manager. I think we all thought he'd sort us out!  Sadly it didn't work out but we have two League Cups to remember from his second spell.  I would have loved for him to lift another league title but it wasn't to be.  Still a Rangers legend though!

Yeah , I can remember that too . 

I can also remember Jock Wallace being interviewed when Rangers were after , him saying Motherwell had refused Rangers permission to talk to him and he'd now told Motherwell to reconsider their position :lol: 

But you're right , it didn't quite work out for him that second spell after a bright start , but what can't be ignored are the young players he brought through from the youth system into the first team , that were the cornerstone to Graeme Souness's success when he first arrived . 

7 hours ago, gmcf said:

Yeah , I can remember that too . 

I can also remember Jock Wallace being interviewed when Rangers were after , him saying Motherwell had refused Rangers permission to talk to him and he'd now told Motherwell to reconsider their position :lol: 

But you're right , it didn't quite work out for him that second spell after a bright start , but what can't be ignored are the young players he brought through from the youth system into the first team , that were the cornerstone to Graeme Souness's success when he first arrived . 

true there was some on the board didnt want him back

I remember getting the chance to meet the players at ibrox when I was a wee boy, about 6 or 7. All the players were sat on tables either in their pants or baws out with blue t shirts on. Big jock was at the front of the room . He made a beeline for me and my cousin Tommy and said: "they are the privileged  ones, they get to play for you. They have to be good enough for that Jersey.watch out for davie cooper.magiç , but wee Bobby is still the magician" Russell he meant, the guy I spent copying for years after the talk.

Jock Wallace embodies everything that is both traditional and great about Rangers, him and Walter both.  .......no papes required under big jock for 2 trebles mind, players didn't want any either in the dressing room..

We live in hope,  that integration doesn't steal our identity, or is it just the one our media have installed amongst us. Let us find out when we win 55.

No Surrender 

Rab