IF We don't win the league this season , do we still back Stevie Gerrard next season to win the league?

TopCat

Maybe the horizon for trophy winning success for Gerrard (and the Board) is not an absolute for this season.   Maybe its a window of seasons that closes either at the start of the 150th anniversary season or at the end of it.   

If the title is not won before the start of the 150th season I don't readily see Gerrard or King or any of the Board directors being too keen on the pressure piled on them of having to win it in the 150th year.   I just don't think they'd want to be associated with the risk of failure if, during that season, the title was still not won.    The pressure on them, never mind the players, would be immense.    They might all have gone before that season started.   Would they all really have the balls to carry on during that season with it then becoming a 'must win' season?  I don't see that they'd be in for that sort of pressure and would have handed over control of the club and football management to others by then, with their replacements able to dodge the bulk of the pressure by saying they were not to blame. 

If the 55th title is won before the 150th season then maybe they'd still be around to see what sort of success the Club could achieve in that 150th season, the pressure of having won title 55 having been removed.

So for 2022 I think the success Gerrard and the Board need to see is title 55 before then.   Which gives them a few seasons to finally close the gap and win the title.    Cups along the way are bonus material and of course very welcome but its the title that really matters.   Gerrard may therefore still be building a title winning side during this season - clearly aiming to win it and doing his level best to coach the team to do it but whether he has enough quality in the side this season is hard to judge right now.    Put another way though, if it can't be won with a goal scoring match winning Morelos in the team this season then time to get a suitable effective replacement into the side would start to run out for Gerrard if Morelos is sold next summer.   

Another way of looking at it is that the weight of influence on whether Gerrard is backed or not is not with King or the Board or with the Support.     It's with Gerrard.   He will stay just as long as he wants to stay and I doubt very much if he'd be readily ousted by a Board or a Board readily influenced by a wider Support to remove him.     All the bets for title 55 are on the Gerrard chip - imo there is no credible alternative at this range of time before 2022.     Gerrard is rock solid safe in the managers job for as long as Gerrard himself wants to stay there.  

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t think we’ll really have much choice, sack him and bring in a new manager and all the changes that go with it including god knows how many new players and we’ll pretty much be giving them 10iar, it’s massively unlikely a new manager would be able to come in and win the league first season.

Ofcourse I’m basing that on us being close if we don’t win it this season, finish a huge amount of points behind them and trophy less and we might aswell but I think that’s unlikely.

Still has some things to learn but I’m a big fan of Gerrard despite some baffling team selection at times 

He’s took us forward more than anyone in recent times and we’re constantly improving. Only one poor defeat has stopped this being a perfect start in both Europe and the league after 14 games since we started against St Joseph’s 

Kent in this team will take us to the next level, players like Aribo still finding their feet, lots of options over the pitch and Barisic is improving. He’s turned Ryan Jack into an absolute star of our team as well 

What I will say is this, we need to start clicking like fuck. None of this Killie last minute, livi goal down, st Mirren slog type games.

Keep a fairly settled side, stop making hard work of it all because that shit becomes heavy in the mind and on the legs.

Gut feeling is telling me if we are even something like 6 points behind them at xmas then the signs aren't good, they have previous in pulling away whilst we tend to stutter.

Rightly or wrongly Gerrard will be here next season even if it all goes tits up though, fairly sure about that.

2 hours ago, slimjim1690 said:

He has spent the last couple of transfer windows attempting to build a squad and I think we would all agree he has done a good job of it with the funds allocated to him bar a couple of exceptions, but for the 3rd year I'd be looking to spend whatever transfer money there is on a couple of quality players, players who would be able to take us up another level.

While I agree that the priority is to stop 10IAR, if the bheasts were to achieve it I would hate to see it as the primary reason to sack Gerrard, while it would depress the fuck out of me as long as there was genuine progress every year then what do we do? start all over again and hand them how many more titles until we eventually win one?, if it wasn't for the fact that 10 is on the horizon I genuinely think Gerrard would have been allowed a little more time to build a side capable of sustaining a prolonged  winning challenge  to future titles.

Ok

So what we talking transfer kitty 10mill and we have probably sold Mo going to give the Board the benefit of the doubt and say they give 5mill of that money. So 15 mill to replace probably both front men (Defoe’s last season I think) and then add to the squad. That’s a tall ask. 

Forget the scum and 10 in a row if Stevie had came in with them on 2 in a row and let them get to 5 we would be baying for his blood. He has to win the league or he will be gone. 

4 hours ago, TopCat said:

Given the improvement in our side since he arrived I'm quite surprised at this remark. Surely he has done enough already to deserve our backing next season? imo at any rate.

to be fair mate

His tactics against the scum were a disgrace . A painful loss

And lets not forget all the Sheep games last season

We have to win something this season . Or that would mean the scum have won 6 out of 6 trophies on his watch

Big name or not . That is not acceptable for me

If we dont win nothing again this season then he has to go and find another club. Harsh but the reality is we need silverware and potentially 2 seasons without a cup final or a cup is not the Rangers way.

But i admire what Stevie Gee has done for us so far. His European record has kept him sitting comfortable.

4 minutes ago, GazzasOrangeFlute said:

If we dont win nothing again this season then he has to go and find another club. Harsh but the reality is we need silverware and potentially 2 seasons without a cup final or a cup is not the Rangers way.

But i admire what Stevie Gee has done for us so far. His European record has kept him sitting comfortable.

and kept king from being strung up

7 minutes ago, GazzasOrangeFlute said:

If we did get shot of him, the scum are going for 10 in the subsequent season.

Who would put their reputation on the line to manage Rangers with the scum likely to do that, how long would this guy get? How much transfer kitty does the new guy get to replace Gerrards squad with his own? How much is needed to create a league winning squad?

Imo its not just a case of he'd have failed to win the league in 2 seasons (against a financially stronger opponent btw) so get shot.  Some seasons this would be fair enough. But not with a 10 in a row for them awaiting the new guy. For me I'd rather go with a 3rd season for SG than hope a new guy could halt it in his 1st season (subject to progress and credible challenge this season).

4 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

Heard the media narrative a few times ‘whoever loses the league will be sacked’. 

I think it depends on the manner in how the team lose. Lose by a difference under ten points I think would be acceptable, double figures would be a different story. 

11 minutes ago, andyhrfc said:

Are we better than last season?

Yes

Are they worse than last season?

Yes

Gap near enough closed.   

What a crazy thread.

In what way are they worse? Given their start to the season it can be argued that the rat in charge has improved them 

5 hours ago, TopCat said:

Given the improvement in our side since he arrived I'm quite surprised at this remark. Surely he has done enough already to deserve our backing next season? imo at any rate.

Given the money he's spent the improvement made so far should have been a given, he's spent more on centre halves than warburton and Pedro got for the full team combined, not to mention the wage bill is drastically bumped up

REAL improvement is scudding shite teams like st mirren, killie, livi etc, so far we are slogging against they teams just as we did under previous managers

I think this will be his last season, regardless of the title. He has done well to get to us to Europe, and if he progresses the team to the next stage then he will be on the radar for lower EPL sides (perhaps even in January) Liverpool is too big a jump at the moment, but wouldn't bet against it when Klopp moves on...

27 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

In what way are they worse? Given their start to the season it can be argued that the rat in charge has improved them 

Play like we did last night and we would be sitting 3 points clear.   Plenty of cracks in the breeze block towers and they will all come tumbling down soon.  More worried about how we perform on Sunday after last night.

12 minutes ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

I think this will be his last season, regardless of the title. He has done well to get to us to Europe, and if he progresses the team to the next stage then he will be on the radar for lower EPL sides (perhaps even in January) Liverpool is too big a jump at the moment, but wouldn't bet against it when Klopp moves on...

Won't go to a lower EPL side.  SG thrives on passion and emotion.  He won't swap Ibrox for a Watford or Bournemouth.   Once he gets 56 in the bag that may change if  Klopp moves on. 

Just now, andyhrfc said:

Won't go to a lower EPL side.  SG thrives on passion and emotion.  He won't swap Ibrox for a Watford or Bournemouth.   Once he gets 56 in the bag that may change if  Klopp moves on. 

I hope so, but he needs to win a trophy this season - really need to get the LC to begin with. I see Wednesday game against Livi being up there as the biggest game of the season at this point 

2 hours ago, eejay the dj said:

to be fair mate

His tactics against the scum were a disgrace . A painful loss

And lets not forget all the Sheep games last season

We have to win something this season . Or that would mean the scum have won 6 out of 6 trophies on his watch

Big name or not . That is not acceptable for me

Shouldn't be acceptable for any Rangers fan. 

Archived