KATIC......What's the story

Boybluesy

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Katic and Helander are both left-sided and are unlikely to play many games together

Edmundson and Goldson are right-sided and are just as unlikely to play many games together.

Goldson and Katic have played plenty of games this season so far - and plenty together, Helander has barely featured after we spent 3.5m on him and Emdundson has been left looking on from the sidelines.

When Helander came into the side it was always likely Katic would be the one that made way for him. With Edmundson's relative lack of experience, it makes a bit more sense to have him on the bench as the third CB and let him get a taste of going to some of these places for the first time.

Folk looking for things that simply arent there.

Just now, The Dude said:

Helander has played four games now and we've yet to concede. (St. Mirren, East Fife, Feyenoord, St. Johnstone). Surely it would be harsh to take him out the team?

No katic must play.

I like Niko and think he will have a good career but we were never buying a swedish international to play backup to anyone imo.

I thought on Thursday he was absolutely superb and he didn't do much wrong yesterday. Every player makes a mistake or misplaced pass etc. It seems helander by some on here will have every single incident he's involved in put under the microscope 

1 minute ago, Rfc52 said:

No katic must play.

I like Niko and think he will have a good career but we were never buying a swedish international to play backup to anyone imo.

I thought on Thursday he was absolutely superb and he didn't do much wrong yesterday. Every player makes a mistake or misplaced pass etc. It seems helander by some on here will have every single incident he's involved in put under the microscope 

I wouldn't be surprised if he made the bench v Livi with Edmundson starting beside Helander. There's no danger Helander's come here to sit on his arse and tbh, I get the impression that Katic isn't daft enough to have thought that either. With the pressure we're under just now, Gerrard needs to, by his own admission, be careful with Katic playing every week at CB at a young age or he'll end up 'ruining' him.

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he made the bench v Livi with Edmundson starting beside Helander. There's no danger Helander's come here to sit on his arse and tbh, I get the impression that Katic isn't daft enough to have thought that either. With the pressure we're under just now, Gerrard needs to, by his own admission, be careful with Katic playing every week at CB at a young age or he'll end up 'ruining' him.

Reading Michael Beale this morning edmundson is starting on Wednesday

22 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Katic and Helander are both left-sided and are unlikely to play many games together

Edmundson and Goldson are right-sided and are just as unlikely to play many games together.

Goldson and Katic have played plenty of games this season so far - and plenty together, Helander has barely featured after we spent 3.5m on him and Emdundson has been left looking on from the sidelines.

When Helander came into the side it was always likely Katic would be the one that made way for him. With Edmundson's relative lack of experience, it makes a bit more sense to have him on the bench as the third CB and let him get a taste of going to some of these places for the first time.

Folk looking for things that simply arent there.

Katic isn’t left footed/sided imo. He plays there because goldson never gets the chop from the right hand side. 

7 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

3mill pound defender on the bench and the gaffers favourite is the other CB only going to end one way for Katic. 

The fact he isn’t even on the bench would make me believe he’s told Stevie what he thinks of the decision. 

Well in the last two matches the managers decision has been correct 

2 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

Well in the last two matches the managers decision has been correct 

Why??? 

Because we kept clean sheets, the clean sheet in both those games were down to McGregor. 

Both Katic or Goldson could’ve easily been dropped for their form dropping off, If I was Katic I would pissed as well. 

Just now, Courtyard Bear said:

Why??? 

Because we kept clean sheets, the clean sheet in both those games were down to McGregor. 

Both Katic or Goldson could’ve easily been dropped for their form dropping off, If I was Katic I would pissed as well. 

So he should be pissed off because one of the two deserved to be dropped but it was him and not goldson?

Everyone has played their part in the clean sheet 

Davis more so than shagger yesterday.

5 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

So he should be pissed off because one of the two deserved to be dropped but it was him and not goldson?

Everyone has played their part in the clean sheet 

Davis more so than shagger yesterday.

Davis didn’t keep it out mate ssshhhhh. 

They have all played there part I agree. We have a great young player in Katic that I think personally is being poorly handled by the management team. 

1 hour ago, Rfc52 said:

Mate keith from.the highland league scored into Andy Goram. 

St Joe's had chances against us away. Teams will always get a good chance/chances in a game. It's unrealistic to think you will go through a game not conceding at least one chance 

I’m going off on a tangent here but it’s the exact same thing with some of our performances.

I seen somebody the other day complaining about how we are toiling in the league when we should be hammering every team we play when the reality is there has always been games and times when we have struggled and toiled a bit.

I can’t recall how many times I came on here under Smith and thought fucking hell that was dreadful but at least we got the points. Being crap for runs of games is not a new thing that’s started happening since we came back up post admin and I think some people need to stop with the “I can’t believe how far our standards have fallen” talk and remember when they are romanticising the past that bad results and performances happened pre admin too.

17 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Not as naturally as Helander (or even Worrall as they were also left footed) but Gerrard seems to insist so.

I thought he was a right sided CH playing on the left because Goldson isn’t as comfortable doing so. I agree a naturally left sided CH is preferable, but I think Katic and Helander is certainly an option.

1 hour ago, Smile said:

Helander needs time and to me doesnt look fit yet may be his languid style, but yesterday in the air he's suspect and when he did win a header against the two foot tall May he played it into a dangerous area, after Morelos scored he just let a player waltz past him into the box like a fanny.

Our two games no goals has been more down to McGregor than our defence.

Stevie May seemed to cause a problem for him every time the ball was in the air. Katic would've gone through him to win those headers.

That said I have been impressed by Helander, it's a good problem to have but Katic would still be my first choice CB. 

8 minutes ago, mayweather said:

No ,he is right footed.

So is Van Dijk but he plays on the left hand side of defence too.

Since he signed for us I can remember one game where Katic played on the right hand side (Motherwell 7-1 game) and he got hauled off at half time.

Every other game (that I can remember) he has been on the left hand side of the back two, which suggests to me that he is a left sided centre half even if he is right footed.

Archived