KATIC......What's the story

Boybluesy

Just now, JograBear said:

Katic has been our best ch this season. Cannot even get on the bench. 

I honestly thought we have a 20m player in the making... 

Helander looks slow to me and not aggressive enough in the air. 

It is a very minor point but I also wasn’t too comfortable with Helanders response to the question he got about the atmosphere at Ibrox against Feyenoord. 

From memory he said something like “I am 26 years old and have played games like this before, against better players” I am paraphrasing but  it came across a wee bit off for me. I love confidence but there is a fine line with arrogance and I felt he was just on the wrong side of it. 

Minor point as I said. 

Players should play on merit, not on reputation, transfer fee or personal relationships. I think the only reason that there is so much concern about this particular judgement call by the manager is that so few of us see it as a call based on merit. 

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Bakbear said:

It is a very minor point but I also wasn’t too comfortable with Helanders response to the question he got about the atmosphere at Ibrox against Feyenoord. 

From memory he said something like “I am 26 years old and have played games like this before, against better players” I am paraphrasing but  it came across a wee bit off for me. I love confidence but there is a fine line with arrogance and I felt he was just on the wrong side of it. 

Minor point as I said. 

Players should play on merit, not on reputation, transfer fee or personal relationships. I think the only reason that there is so much concern about this particular judgement call by the manager is that so few of us see it as a call based on merit. 

Exactly!

And Helander is simply not good enough to be arrogant, not that it's a good trait if he was anyway.

After 2 poor games defensively (celtic and livi) we maybe felt we had to make some changes in defence. Helander and barasic, 2 internationals from good sides came in, Helander ready-made to play on katics a side against, against a good technical level of opposition in feyenoord. Had a good level of experience and we defended well. Edmunson on the bench to give him more experience in the squad on nights like that at ibrox. Gerrard maybe thinks there's no need to change it for the next game which on paper is a relatively straight forward game. 

7 hours ago, JCDBigBear said:

Katic and Helander played together against Derby and both played well.  I think that it is time for Goldson to be "rested" or rotated if only to prove to him that he doesn't  just walk into the team.   He has been making a lot of mistakes in games and often tries to blame others.     On Wednesday I'd like to see Katic and Edmundson start.

I think Katic will definitely start and maybe Edmundson.

Livingston will play long ball tactics and look for opportunities from set pieces - it would be crazy not playing Katic in this type of game tbh. 

35 minutes ago, hooooootchy said:

After 2 poor games defensively (celtic and livi) we maybe felt we had to make some changes in defence. Helander and barasic, 2 internationals from good sides came in, Helander ready-made to play on katics a side against, against a good technical level of opposition in feyenoord. Had a good level of experience and we defended well. Edmunson on the bench to give him more experience in the squad on nights like that at ibrox. Gerrard maybe thinks there's no need to change it for the next game which on paper is a relatively straight forward game. 

Helander seems to have given borna a new lease of life and he's starting to look like the player we all seen play for osijek.

I don't know what it is but we seem better balanced with both of them in the team

6 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

I think Katic will definitely start and maybe Edmundson.

Livingston will play long ball tactics and look for opportunities from set pieces - it would be crazy not playing Katic in this type of game tbh. 

Tbf katic had a bit of a nightmare up against their big striker just over a week ago. I'd play edmunson and helander in this one 

Just now, King Jela said:

Funny how this place works. Helander was outstanding against Feyenoord at Ibrox and one bad judgment call on Sunday against St Johnstone and he’s not up to speed or aggressive enough. Madhouse. 

His whole game has been written off due to that :lol:

45 minutes ago, hooooootchy said:

Then why no place on the bench for Katic on Sunday? Nah. Not buying. 

49 minutes ago, Bakbear said:

Minor point as I said. 

I actually thought the opposite to be honest,

The question to me seemed patronising. A journalist was speaking to him as if he was a wee boy making his professional debut.

Feyenoord is a big game. The atmosphere was great but this is a guy who is an international and has played in Serie A against the likes of Icardi, Higuain, Immobile, Dzeko, Insigne, Dybala, maybe Ronaldo and lots more. This should be bread and butter to him and it was kinda shown in his performance.

We get excited about European nights at Ibrox, understandably so, but I think his point was he's an experienced player, he's played in big games and isn't intimidated to play against Feyenoord. That was my interpretation anyway. 👍

3 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

His whole game has been written off due to that :lol:

Not by me. 

I thought he was good against Feyenoord but there was one Or two points where he looked slow and awkward in possession 

I have watched every game Helander has played and I think he is a good player. I have said it’s difficult because we have 4 good players. 

I just happen to believe that Katic is the better option and I don’t think his dropping was merited. 

It is possible to believe Helander is a good player but also think Katic deserved to keep his place. This argument is going to rage on because everyone has an opinion over our 4 quality Center halves and that’s a great position to be in 

1 minute ago, Bakbear said:

Not by me. 

I thought he was good against Feyenoord but there was one Or two points where he looked slow and awkward in possession 

I have watched every game Helander has played and I think he is a good player. I have said it’s difficult because we have 4 good players. 

I just happen to believe that Katic is the better option and I don’t think his dropping was merited. 

It is possible to believe Helander is a good player but also think Katic deserved to keep his place. This argument is going to rage on because everyone has an opinion over our 4 quality Center halves and that’s a great position to be in 

Katic and goldson are very lucky that both don't find themselves out of the team. Both were fucking awful v the taigs and livi.

Goldson has been good the last two games and added his 5th of the season on Sunday iirc.

5 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

Katic and goldson are very lucky that both don't find themselves out of the team. Both were fucking awful v the taigs and livi.

Goldson has been good the last two games and added his 5th of the season on Sunday iirc.

It’s a game of opinions. That’s what makes us all love it. 

It is my opinion that Goldson has not been so great this season. Wasn’t great against St J and a goal doesn’t change that.  

This is a pretty hard debate to have because you can’t argue that one player should be in the team over another without talking one player up and another down. 

The best way I can say it is that we have 4 good players and it comes down to which two are showing the best and in my opinion Katic was in the best form out of the four of them. 

I don’t have much more to add to this tbh. I think Katic should be playing and I think it is both harsh and a bit strange that he is now 4th choice. 

3 minutes ago, Bakbear said:

It’s a game of opinions. That’s what makes us all love it. 

It is my opinion that Goldson has not been so great this season. Wasn’t great against St J and a goal doesn’t change that.  

This is a pretty hard debate to have because you can’t argue that one player should be in the team over another without talking one player up and another down. 

The best way I can say it is that we have 4 good players and it comes down to which two are showing the best and in my opinion Katic was in the best form out of the four of them. 

I don’t have much more to add to this tbh. I think Katic should be playing and I think it is both harsh and a bit strange that he is now 4th choice. 

Well obviously katic showed better form than the other two. He was playing they weren't :lol:

I like katic but the pining for him even when things are going well is a bit pathetic 

13 hours ago, bluenoz said:

Four lads had a dream just posed a blog saying there is NO story re Katic. So perhaps there is no conspiracy as that blog is usually quite accurate.

There is a story katic not even on the bench last 2 games is a story. Gerrard was interviewed before feyenoord game when asked about katic he said tactical for this game katic is a beast in both boxes in the league. Or words to that effect , so why wasn't he back in the team on sun.

20 minutes ago, Bakbear said:

Then why no place on the bench for Katic on Sunday? Nah. Not buying. 

I don't know, maybe thought we'd be comfortable earlier on and he could of rested goldson for edmunson. Obviously no one really knows what's going on yet, Im just not jumping to. he must of upset someone or felll out with someone 

5 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

Well obviously katic showed better form than the other two. He was playing they weren't :lol:

I like katic but the pining for him even when things are going well is a bit pathetic 

I just don’t see it as pining. 

Katic finished last season as our best CH. he likewise started this season as our best CH. then Bill young puts out a twitter story that says there has been a fall out and he won’t play against Feyenoord. And lo and behold Katic is nowhere to be seen for two games. 

If football fans can’t discuss that chain of events then what’s the point in forums ?

Just now, Bakbear said:

I just don’t see it as pining. 

Katic finished last season as our best CH. he likewise started this season as our best CH. then Bill young puts out a twitter story that says there has been a fall out and he won’t play against Feyenoord. And lo and behold Katic is nowhere to be seen for two games. 

If football fans can’t discuss that chain of events then what’s the point in forums ?

Nobody is saying don't discuss it. After two good wins and two clean sheets people were still suggesting Gerrard had the wrong team selected.

We aren't talking about a daft Nottingham Forrest wee boy replacing him. It's a swedish international with serie A experience. When katic first came in it was stated from the get go that he would be a project and would be in and out of the team.

I'll say it again, I like the boy, I believe he's a good player but when you're highlighting not winning a header in a 90 minute game to justify katic starting it's a bit pathetic.  (Not saying you said that)

We've not conceded a goal and only conceded 3 real chances in two matches. Livi had a good few chances against us at ibrox, halliday and katic at fault for a few of them.

If goldson was the one dropped and katic and helander played and we'd the same results I'd be saying the same to those getting upset about goldson not playing.

Both coulda been dropped but it's no surprise to me that the younger of the two dropped out 

4 minutes ago, soulboy said:

There is a story katic not even on the bench last 2 games is a story. Gerrard was interviewed before feyenoord game when asked about katic he said tactical for this game katic is a beast in both boxes in the league. Or words to that effect , so why wasn't he back in the team on sun.

Maybe because Goldson and Helendar contributed to a clean sheet and played well in a European game against one of the best sides we’ve faced this season. They earned their places on Sunday. Why would we make change for changes sake?

3 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

Nobody is saying don't discuss it. After two good wins and two clean sheets people were still suggesting Gerrard had the wrong team selected.

We aren't talking about a daft Nottingham Forrest wee boy replacing him. It's a swedish international with serie A experience. When katic first came in it was stated from the get go that he would be a project and would be in and out of the team.

I'll say it again, I like the boy, I believe he's a good player but when you're highlighting not winning a header in a 90 minute game to justify katic starting it's a bit pathetic.  (Not saying you said that)

We've not conceded a goal and only conceded 3 real chances in two matches. Livi had a good few chances against us at ibrox, halliday and katic at fault for a few of them.

If goldson was the one dropped and katic and helander played and we'd the same results I'd be saying the same to those getting upset about goldson not playing.

Both coulda been dropped but it's no surprise to me that the younger of the two dropped out 

Gerrard said this in the press conference at Katic's signing and for some reason no-one heard it or are choosing to forget they heard it.

I think the boys attempts settling in were disrupted last season with his personal issues and that played a part on his sudden removal from the team.

5 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Maybe because Goldson and Helendar contributed to a clean sheet and played well in a European game against one of the best sides we’ve faced this season. They earned their places on Sunday. Why would we make change for changes sake?

Still doesn't explain why katic not on the bench . Also why make change for change sake against feyenoord when goldson and helander have hardly played together in a very important game. If anyone should have been left out it should have been goldson as he has been the poorer of the 2. 

Spoilt for choice in this position. Katic is still, in a lot out opinions, the best performing CB so far this season.

However it’s not like he’s being swapped out for Russell Martin - Helander is clearly a decent CB, needs to go through players with his headers more but every player has their faults. 

Just hope Katic doesn’t get disheartened and push for a move as he really has done very little to be dropped ahead of Goldson. 

5 minutes ago, soulboy said:

Still doesn't explain why katic not on the bench . Also why make change for change sake against feyenoord when goldson and helander have hardly played together in a very important game. If anyone should have been left out it should have been goldson as he has been the poorer of the 2. 

But it was the correct selection as shown by how we defended and the result.

This is what I mean it's bordering on hysterical.

Archived