***** The Official Young Boys v Rangers Match Thread *****

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Allanger said:

They should not be allowed to play on plastic in this competition. I would take a draw just now

A lot of their new signings are injured, you have to wonder what impact the pitch has had on that. Hope we come through unscathed. 

4 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

I'm not sure whether it's over confidence from how well we've done recently away in Europe plus confidence from Saturday, or just arrogance and a lack of knowledge of the calibre of team we're up against. But some are definitely underestimating YB, probably be the loudest critics on here too if we don't get the win.

Yeah probably fair. Although we haven’t won an away European group stage match since Lyon

32 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

Yeah probably fair. Although we haven’t won an away European group stage match since Lyon

The Lyon result was during the 2007/2008 season.  Before Gerrard arrived the last time we reached a Euro group stage was 2010/11.

I’d add that Walter Smith set us up to be difficult to beat, and we were.  I think the way Gerrard sets his team out makes us more likely to win these European away games.  Our high counter pressing tactics work best when the opposition come at us.

I’m quite confident we’ll get a result on Thursday.  How many European games have Rangers played since Gerrard arrived?    I think it’s about 23.  We’ve only lost a couple of times.  

Although it's a plastic pitch, it won't be anything like the surfaces we have to put up with every other week here. Like everything else in Switzerland, it'll be in good order. 

We also shouldn't be fooled by the reports of all their injuries. Yes they have a few, but so do most teams & make no mistake YB are a well organised outfit and are only to happy to peddle reports of struggling due to injuries. If we get a draw we'll be doing well. 

Just now, One Jock Wallace said:

Although it's a plastic pitch, it won't be anything like the surfaces we have to put up with every other week here. Like everything else in Switzerland, it'll be in good order. 

We also shouldn't be fooled by the reports of all their injuries. Yes they have a few, but so do most teams & make no mistake YB are a well organised outfit and are only to happy to peddle reports of struggling due to injuries. If we get a draw we'll be doing well. 

Based on? 

50 minutes ago, One Jock Wallace said:

Experience of life in Switzerland 

So because you lived in Switzerland you know the of synthetic surface Young Boys play on versus what the teams play on here? 

From what I can see most UK based teams have been highly critical of the pitch - regardless of the result. 

36 minutes ago, Leeds_Bear said:

So because you lived in Switzerland you know the of synthetic surface Young Boys play on versus what the teams play on here? 

From what I can see most UK based teams have been highly critical of the pitch - regardless of the result. 

When you say UK teams you mean EPL sides who were critical of playing on any artificial surfaces in Europe as apposed to the condition of YB's pitch. 

If you read my post you'll see that I'm pointing out that it won't be as bad as surfaces we play in Scotland which are a joke. The Swiss have money & spend a lot on maintenance. The standards here are night & day compared to UK. 

2 hours ago, sassaaaa said:

Dont get the negativity , this is not Guardiolas Barcelona we are playing , easily capable of getting a result.........

Too many defeatists on here fs it's only Young Boys we're playing not fucking Barca, they only look good because we've been shite this season, we're more than capable of going up there Thursday and turning them over! 

4 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Too many defeatists on here fs it's only Young Boys we're playing not fucking Barca, they only look good because we've been shite this season, we're more than capable of going up there Thursday and turning them over! 

First thing a thought of :lol: 

5 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Think there'll be a lot of upset people on this site on Thursday night. 

7 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Bit of confusion here mate 

Archived