Welcome back Tavernier

GOAT

3 hours ago, TMB said:

I think we miss Candeias on the right TBH.  When Candeias first came in there was a noticeable improvement in Tavernier’s game.  Candeias ran himself in to the ground tracking back and pressing opposition defenders when out of possession.  Ojo doesn’t do shit from a defensive point of view.  Even in attack Ojo looks half arsed.

Absolute myth.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, BILLYBOY50 said:

Agreed mate I understand completely what you are saying.but we have been lucky in a lot of those games and I know it's results that count but I hate watching any Rangers player not giving their all when wearing the famous blue jersey like Sunday that kind of attitude and mentality from the players will get us nowhere. 

We have not got the right mental attitude in our team to stay top many of our players seem mentally weak and fold under any pressure.

Well if nothing else, it's recognition that there is a problem. Only time will tell if this very public recognition of it helps a return to form.

I think Tav's confidence is shot. Going forward he is no longer flowing. A nervousness in his play. A couple of goals would do him the world of good. Just let it flow and don't be afraid to make a mistake, as I think his fear of that is the exact cause of it.

More now a test of character than his ability. A difficult one.

13 hours ago, TMB said:

Not just our Europa group, all groups.  The Europa website takes in to consideration tackles, goals, interceptions, etc.  Tavernier was a standout in the group stages for last season. 

And he’s been utter shite this season so what’s your point. 

1 hour ago, Courtyard Bear said:

He doesn't have one. Even using info from the UEFA websites is embarrassing.

They had Tierney in the champions league team of the season a couple of seasons ago as a right back after he had played exactly zero games in that position. It has no credibility whatsoever.

22 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

He doesn't have one. Even using info from the UEFA websites is embarrassing.

They had Tierney in the champions league team of the season a couple of seasons ago as a right back after he had played exactly zero games in that position. It has no credibility whatsoever.

They had Scott Broon as the best passer, of something equally ridiculous, as well. 

Kent had average stats last season and captain Tav has great stats but give me a choice out of the 2 to have in the team and it’s Kent every day of the week 

1 hour ago, Courtyard Bear said:

So you pretend all previous seasons never happened?  You’re welcome to think like that if you want.  I don’t.

I suppose the 30 goals Morelos scored last season don’t count for fuck all either or does that not suit your narrative?

52 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

He doesn't have one. 

I do.

Tavernier had 20+ assists last season.  He has 7 assists this season.  Yes, he’s prone to the odd defensive error but what he gives us going forward more than makes up for it IMO.

This 4-3-3 formation we play needs attacking full-backs.  Barisic and Tavernier are key players for us.

I agree that Tavernier needs dropped at times.  He plays just about every single game for us.  He’s not at his best right now.  Another attacking RB to offer some competition would be good.

You seem to have an irrational hatred for Tavernier.  He was one of our top performers last season.  Or are you denying that as well?  

6 minutes ago, TMB said:

I do.

Tavernier had 20+ assists last season.  He has 7 assists this season.  Yes, he’s prone to the odd defensive error but what he gives us going forward more than makes up for it IMO.

This 4-3-3 formation we play needs attacking full-backs.  Barisic and Tavernier are key players for us.

I agree that Tavernier needs dropped at times.  He plays just about every single game for us.  He’s not at his best right now.  Another attacking RB to offer some competition would be good.

You seem to have an irrational hatred for Tavernier.  He was one of our top performers last season.  Or are you denying that as well?  

See his 7 assists this season, other than killie away how many were game changing assists, how many were at a time where we were struggling or behind and its turned the game for us 

4 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

See his 7 assists this season, other than killie away how many were game changing assists, how many were at a time where we were struggling or behind and its turned the game for us 

So we’re only counting assists that are “game changing” now?  Shall we do that for goals scored as well.  ‘Aye, Defoe’s scored 12 goals this season but how many were game changing’.  Utter pish :lol:

Some of you on here are so fickle is unreal.  Tavernier was openly referred to as the best full-back in the country on this very forum during the summer.  Now, he’s apparently shite.  If he sets up Morelos for a goal or two tonight he’ll be class again. 

Just now, TMB said:

So we’re only counting assists that are “game changing” now?  Shall we do that for goals scored as well.  ‘Aye, Defoe’s scored 12 goals this season but how many were game changing’.  Utter pish :lol:

Some of you on here are so fickle is unreal.  Tavernier was openly referred to as the best full-back in the country on this very forum during the summer.  Now, he’s apparently shite.  If he sets up Morelos for a goal or two tonight he’ll be class again. 

He still is the best he's just going through a bad spell.

3 minutes ago, Smile said:

He still is the best he's just going through a bad spell.

I completely agree.  But reading some of the comments on here you would think the guy is hated.  People actively doing everything they can do diminish his performances since Gerrard came in. 

Brilliant last season - 'aye, but what about this season?'

Ranked as a top performer in the Europa for us last season - 'aye, but that means fuck all'

Creates more goals than any other player in the SPFL - 'aye, but how many of them were game changing?'

Unbelievable stats for an attacking full-back - 'counts for fuck all'

It's as if there's nothing positive about the guy whatsoever.  

15 minutes ago, TMB said:

I completely agree.  But reading some of the comments on here you would think the guy is hated.  People actively doing everything they can do diminish his performances since Gerrard came in. 

Brilliant last season - 'aye, but what about this season?'

Ranked as a top performer in the Europa for us last season - 'aye, but that means fuck all'

Creates more goals than any other player in the SPFL - 'aye, but how many of them were game changing?'

Unbelievable stats for an attacking full-back - 'counts for fuck all'

It's as if there's nothing positive about the guy whatsoever.  

I think at times as Captain he's maybe trying to do too much Gerrard said today he's needing to get back to basics for a while good advice from Gerrard I think.

Interview below which you all have probably read. Have to post it so @BridgeIsBlue can see Gerrard said it as he's a bit anal for Gerrard.

Rangers boss Steven Gerrard reveals heart-to-hearts with James Tavernier as he backs under-fire defender.
STEVEN GERRARD has held heart-to-heart talks with under-fire James Tavernier since his howler at Tynecastle.

But he’ll keep faith with Tav for the Europa League clash with Porto — and WON’T add his voice to the criticism of the Rangers captain.

Tav’s slip against Hearts on Sunday followed two costly errors in the Group G defeat to Young Boys three weeks ago.

Gerrard agrees the right-back has made ‘errors’ but insists he needs the backing of his manager at a tough time.

Speaking in Portugal, Gerrard said: “James is well aware that he is in the firing line and I have had a couple of chats with him since the weekend.

“I am going to back him, of course I am. I believe he has got the character and the ability to bounce back and put in a performance.

“In my chats with him, I asked him to reset and do the basics as well as he can and really get his focus back.

“I am sure if he does that he will be totally fine. I have got no doubts at all as far as James is concerned.

“But he is aware of being in the firing line, that is life at a big club.

“If you make a couple of errors in a short space of time then you ARE in the firing line.

“But what he doesn’t need is people who he trusts, and the people around him, to doubt him because that would be a mistake.”

Tavernier also missed a penalty in the group opener against Feyenoord and has been the subject of criticism from some fans.

But Gerrard added: “Nobody is undroppable but I am not going to be the type of manager who, when a player makes a couple of mistakes, I stick them in the bin and forget all about them.

“James has got enough in the bank with me and the team and the club and the supporters to know that he will bounce back.

“I have got no doubt about it - and he can go and perform incredibly well. That is the belief that I have got in him.

“It is life in football and if you make a couple of mistakes you are in the firing line. James has to deal with that pressure and we will do our best to help him.”

Ryan Jack has also giving his backing to skipper James Tavernier, who has been criticised for recent poor performances.

He added: “James is our captain and he is a grown man. He knows that he is at a massive club and when things don’t go well you are always scrutinised.

People always make a big deal of it.

“However, he has the full trust of the squad and the coaching staff. He doesn’t have to prove anything to us. He never hides and that’s why he is the captain, because he puts his neck on the lin

1 hour ago, TMB said:

So you pretend all previous seasons never happened?  You’re welcome to think like that if you want.  I don’t.

I suppose the 30 goals Morelos scored last season don’t count for fuck all either or does that not suit your narrative?

Do you’re saying you don’t drop a player playing shite this season because he played well last season. 😃
How is the Lunatic  Asylum??

46 minutes ago, Smile said:

I think at times as Captain he's maybe trying to do too much Gerrard said today he's needing to get back to basics for a while good advice from Gerrard I think.

Interview below which you all have probably read. Have to post it so @BridgeIsBlue can see Gerrard said it as he's a bit anal for Gerrard.

What? 

1 hour ago, TMB said:

I do.

I don't have any sort of hatred for him. I've simply pointed out that using a UEFA website as a reference as to how good he was last season is a hollow point. Which it is.

I can't work out why nobody is allowed to say anything negative about him without being accused of hating him. Utterly bizarre behaviour.

1 minute ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

I don't have any sort of hatred for him. I've simply pointed out that using a UEFA website as a reference as to how good he was last season is a hollow point. Which it is.

I can't work out why nobody is allowed to say anything negative about him without being accused of hating him. Utterly bizarre behaviour.

You hate him don't you?

Archived