Arfield

GA1972

Zero threat at all. Lacks the pace, touch and finishing of a player in that position. Why gerrard doesnt grow a set of balls and start stewart, who granted wont offer as much defensively but will cause far more trouble i'll never know. Its going to cost us. Could arfield have done that pass to defoe vs hamilton?? Not a fucking chance. I reckon we have a team capable of winning this league. Whether that team is on the pitch is down to the gaffer.  

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Ross-Gazza genius said:

Exactly my take on it and it's a choice between Arfield or Aribo not both. 

I’d play both Aribo and Arfield in central midfield with one holding player behind them.  

I appreciate Davis and Jack have been playing well but we look far too defensive when both play at the same time.  Away to Young Boys I think we had Davis, Jack, and Kamara so no central attacking threat at all.  Everything comes from out wide.

Aribo and Arfield can make runs in to the opposition box from central areas and maybe get us a few goals.  I still think this team need a dedicated number 10 to play behind the striker.  We just don’t have that type of player right now.

A workhorse, but a player of limited ability and no brains and quickly becoming a headless chicken, who couldn't hit a barn door at 10 yards when he gets the chance.

Morelos needs a player with a deft touch and guile to play off, not a technicaly poor workhorse. Stewart would be a far better foil for Morelos.

Gerrard is trying to fit square pegs into round holes and it's costing us and will cost is this league.

His play is more suited to be playing from the middle and not on the right hand side of a front three. Gerrard puts him there to accommodate Davis ,Jack,Aribo in the middle three. With Jack out injured though I would rather of seen him in there than Kamara who for me offers very little to the team and wants far to much time on the ball. 

1 hour ago, Blue Avenger said:

A workhorse, but a player of limited ability and no brains and quickly becoming a headless chicken, who couldn't hit a barn door at 10 yards when he gets the chance.

Morelos needs a player with a deft touch and guile to play off, not a technicaly poor workhorse. Stewart would be a far better foil for Morelos.

Gerrard is trying to fit square pegs into round holes and it's costing us and will cost is this league.

Arfield is a reasonably skillful player but he is not as a right winger. You are being a bit harsh on him.

18 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Arfield is a reasonably skillful player but he is not as a right winger. You are being a bit harsh on him.

Whatever he has got, it isn't showing or working. A touch like an elephant, has missed God knows how many chances and does absolutely nothing for Morelos who was raging at him today.

Is he a center mid? I just don't see that ability.

25 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

How does he measure up Stats wise against, Christie from that mob considering they play same position for each team?

2 inches smaller in height, a wee tad more central core which stops him falling over every time the wind changes direction as it does for the scum Tom Daly.

5 hours ago, TMB said:

I’d play both Aribo and Arfield in central midfield with one holding player behind them.  

I appreciate Davis and Jack have been playing well but we look far too defensive when both play at the same time.  Away to Young Boys I think we had Davis, Jack, and Kamara so no central attacking threat at all.  Everything comes from out wide.

Aribo and Arfield can make runs in to the opposition box from central areas and maybe get us a few goals.  I still think this team need a dedicated number 10 to play behind the striker.  We just don’t have that type of player right now.

I’d like to know when Davis became a defensive midfielder, another Gerrard is playing in the wrong position ? He was all about finding space between the lines , clever through balls , creative , a goal threat first time round 

3 minutes ago, Cedrick said:

I’d like to know when Davis became a defensive midfielder, another Gerrard is playing in the wrong position ? He was all about finding space between the lines , clever through balls , creative , a goal threat first time round 

100%

Square pegs in round holes and pals act springs to mind and it's giving me the fear for this title.

He’s looked exhausted for about 18 months.

If we are going to persevere with a lone striker and one just off him, it can no longer be Arfield.

Play Aribo there (he’s doing fuck all else) or Stewart or Murphy or anyone, just not Arfield.

Oh, and get Ojo tae fuck as well.

Davis is our defensive midfield player, Jack is somewhere in between and either Aribo, Kamara ( the position  he plays for Finland ) or Arfield are our attacking midfield options.  To say Arfield is exhausted is ludicrous,  Gerrard ( imo ) is using him in the wrong role.

For all that Gerrard was an out and out attacking and exciting midfielder. I think he is a very cautious manager this team is in a different league when he plays the players in their right positions and he takes the shackles off. But too many times he is far too cautious in his approach playing players off form or out of position and it is going to cost us especially away from home. 

2 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

He links up well with morelos, he just needs to play in the centre, not this wide right pish

I think he works better with Defoe I agree once he goes wide right his games as  good as over but Gerrard persists with things even when he can see it's not working.

I do not think Arfield has ever been a consistent player in his career, even within games he has always played in short bursts. The few times he has played in midfield for us I always think he slows the game down too much taking touches for the sake of taking touches and then playing the ball back to whoever passed to him.

Archived