A Number 10 - Do we need one?

TMB

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Number 10’s, more often that not, tend to be luxury players, rarely relied on in big games. We’ve got options to use in that role against teams we can’t break down and Gerrard rarely uses the option. I don’t think we need one at all. Mental how popular an idea this seems to be considering our last number 10 was Josh Windass. 

I wouldn't mind a player that can score from distance in the middle. Jack and Kamara's shooting is very powder puff from distance. One plus they have over us is when they can't break through 11 men packed behind the ball they have McGregor, Christie, Rogic that can all score from distance.

Our midfield are very good at controlling the ball but I feel we'd benefit from having an attack minded central player.

Overall we have to be pleased with the start to the season. Still naive at times but hopefully this team will go from strength to strength.

Kent should add a new dimension when he's back.

We just need a better midfielder than can grab us 15 goals. Doesn’t matter if it’s from a winger or “10”.    What we need is to stop being pedestrian in most of the big games and to also use the nut a bit more as the number of times certain players like arfield give the ball away is like watching semi pro football.

3 hours ago, King Jela said:

Number 10’s, more often that not, tend to be luxury players, rarely relied on in big games. We’ve got options to use in that role against teams we can’t break down and Gerrard rarely uses the option. I don’t think we need one at all. Mental how popular an idea this seems to be considering our last number 10 was Josh Windass. 

That's nonsense mate. # 10's are the most skilled players in the team, not luxury players. Using Windass is a very poor example.

39 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

That's nonsense mate. # 10's are the most skilled players in the team, not luxury players. Using Windass is a very poor example.

I never used him as an example for all number 10’s but he was our last #10. The lure for one on here is quite romanticised imo. We don’t need one.  

I wouldn’t say we’ve had much trouble in the creative side at all this season for Gerrard to even think about one and if he did want to try it he has plenty of options to try out there. 

17 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

A ‘10’ doesn’t exist in a flat 4-4-2 with 2 out and out strikers like Hateley and McCoist.

Durrant was the closest we had to a 10 in that team where he played behind the front two in 92/93 and 93/94 but he wasn’t really a ‘10’. 

In Italy traditionally the 10 would be a player who is not quite an attacking midfielder and not an out and out striker. It’s Baggio or a Totti or a Del Piero or Raul in Spain. A playmaker and a goal scorer.

If a team played with two up front then the 10 is the one in behind or slightly withdrawn. They call it the seconda punta- with the 9 being the prima punta.

But you can still play two up front with a 10 in behind. Traditionally the other striker would be a number 8 or 7 or 11 with the 10 still playing behind.

giphy-9.gif

1 minute ago, born a blue nose said:

Jamie Murphy's ibrox career is over I think mate. 

O, I did not know that, I thought he was still recovering from an injury. I am a bit behind the times. Still, I think he could have fitted a no 10 role.

22 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Raúl played behind a front two for Real Madrid (Morientes, Mijatović, Anelka, Šuker etc) in a 10 position, especially in big games, mainly up until Zidane signed.

Played in a number of positions throughout his career, especially towards the end of it but was predominantly a striker and probably one of the greatest ones of his generation.

Just not a name I expected to pop up in a conversation about playmakers.

14 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

Played in a number of positions throughout his career, especially towards the end of it but was predominantly a striker and probably one of the greatest ones of his generation.

Just not a name I expected to pop up in a conversation about playmakers.

He was never an out and out striker though. If he did play in a front two it was always withdrawn behind someone else: Zamorano, Anelka, Ronaldo, van Nistelrooy - in addition to the ones I had mentioned before.

I’m pretty sure Raúl also had a higher assist ratio than Totti did, for example, in his career. His playmaking abilities have always been overshadowed by his goal scoring.

Archived