Dodoo adamant Bolton switch isn't a step down

.Williamson.

Joe Dodoo has opened up on his decision to leave Rangers for Bolton Wanderers - and insists he has no regrets.

The 24-year-old frontman struggled to make an impact in three years at Ibrox, making just 27 appearances and scoring five goals.

Dodoo brought his spell in Glasgow to an end last month when he joined crisis-hit Bolton who are currently propping up the third tier of English football on minus eight points following their plunge into administration.

But the Englishman insists the move is NOT a step down from Rangers - despite his old club currently topping the Premiership

If you rewind a year and the club is in the Championship, we’re not sat here.

“Bolton are a big club and I don’t see this as any sort of step down. It’s easy to ignore what goes on behind closed doors but it’s my career and it’s not easy when you are not playing games, or you haven’t got the right manager or the right team."

Dodoo was signed by Mark Warburton from Leicester City in 2016 but struggled to establish himself north of the border.

He fell right out of the reckoning under Steven Gerrard and spent last season on loan at Blackpool, scoring twice in 18 appearances.

And he appeared to take a pop at his former team, claiming he is now in an environment with "people who want to make me achieve".

I’d rather be somewhere that I can achieve something with people who want to make me achieve, an environment that I benefit from," he continued.

“I feel like I have that here at Bolton. I have enjoyed what I have seen so far and I want more.”

“The manager expects the best out of me and I expect the highest of myself,” he said

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems bitter. 

Probably promised the world by Warburton, but then not really given an opportunity. 

Did ok in his fleeting appearances, but he must look at Defoe and Morelos and understand why he’ll never be good enough to play at the level required at Rangers. 

He is a young lad that couldn't impress Stevie G and was told to go find another Club. I can sort of understand why he is upset and in a cream puff. It's never nice to be rejected.

Plus the papers always will put a spin on it if it's possible to include a pop at Rangers.

Good luck to him. Pity he wasn't able to be the 30 goal a season striker we needed. 

1 hour ago, .Williamson. said:

claiming he is now in an environment with "people who want to make me achieve".

At 24 he should be able to make himself want to achieve.  He’s not a child needing his hand held.

Sums up his attitude and why SG didn’t fancy him.

Archived