How good was Peter McCloy?

The Widow's Son

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He won a European trophy with the club - that makes him a legend in my eyes........... though he probably wasn't as good as the likes of Goram, Klos or McGregor........ there's no shame in that as they were/are all top class keepers.

16 minutes ago, Unionblue said:

I mind some mhanky  bastard ran on the pitch at the piggery toward big Peter, Peter never flinched and the tramp shat it and got carted off by the coppers, decent keeper and decent guy.

Thought that was Ally Maxwell or has it happened more than once.

3 minutes ago, thedarvelmarvel said:

4 caps. 10 medals. bought in quite a few to replace him but they all were gone before peter mc.

Know what it was that long since I looked at his stats, perhaps an old Rangers news, for some reason I thought it was one cap, perhaps his only competitive match or start? 

14 minutes ago, They Gnu said:

Well the Bheasts do have form for repeat offending.

They were letting of flares on the pitch even back then, back before we called them pyrotechnics , the trampy cunts used to get outsung at the piggery back then, the "Rangers end" was fucking bouncing

Just now, Bristoe1872 said:

The infamous Stewart Kennedy match.  

Apparently Kennedy played with an injury, was hung out to dry after taking an injection to play. Could be urban myth but he was shocking that day

The Gas Meter was a bit of a mixed bag in his time with us. A great servant to the club but an ordinary keeper who surprisingly enough saw off every challenge to his reign until Chris Woods signed.

3 hours ago, rbt1548 said:

Not one of the Rangers great Gk's , however a good number of gk's came and went while Peter was at Rangers, so he seemed to be quite resilient, I think the one that eventually replaced him and took the first team jersey was Jim Stewart whom we bought from Middlesboro' for £100,000.

Here he is in the infamous Queens Park Green Jersey escapade walking on to the pitch in that game.

The  Scotland strip was dark blue,  obviously, with the GK jersey yellow, but he couldn't wear it as Brazil were in yellow, he couldn't wear the Scotland change GK jersey as it was red but the ref and linesmen were in red as they couldn't wear black because it clashed with the Scotland strip so the only solution was to borrow a green GK jersey from Queens Park resplendent with the big Queens Park badge.

scotland-v-brazil-international-friendly-at-hampden-park-glasgow-30th-ENHK14.thumb.jpg.b0e8aced70247a87aa97b6a27643c59c.jpg

There are many times mate . I wish he had been a beggar keeper for the amount of time he was with us

Good post though .

8 minutes ago, folkestoneger said:

Wasn’t that Kennedy ?

Both were experts at it mate . Kennedy in the 5-1 thrashing at Wembley in 75 . Where to be honest . Most keepers would have been struggling

Kennedys problem that day . He seemed  quite sheepish every time a ball went past him . Like it was his fault all the time .Hands on head if you like

The defence that day with Frank Munro in the team were shocking .

McCloy was swinging on the bar in a Scottish cup final in 1978 against the sheep . If you ever seen this goal . You would think wtf . It was like amateur hour .

thank fuck we had been 2-0 up and it meant little near the end

Just now, eejay the dj said:

Both were experts at it mate . Kennedy in the 5-1 thrashing at Wembley in 75 . Where to be honest . Most keepers would have been struggling

Kennedys problem that day . He seemed  quite sheepish every time a ball went past him . Like it was his fault all the time .Hands on head if you like

The defence if you could call it that was shocking .

McCloy was swinging on the bar in a Scottish cup final in 1978 . If you ever seen this goal . You would think wtf . It was like amateur hour .

thank fuck we had been 2-0 up and it meant little near the end

Against the sheep?

6 minutes ago, folkestoneger said:

Against the sheep?

aye . Great day as we won a treble .

On the surface . McCloy played in treble winning sides and he was so tall , he commanded the balls getting punted into the box .

A style that was prevalent in those days . On the deck , he was truly tragic and very often  slow getting down

I remember Ronnie Glavin scoring from 30/40 yards against him, where the ball went under his body as he fell down like an elephant . Another we lost 2-0 77/78

He was a golfer , not an athlete

6ft 4" and took him 6 month to get down to save , grew up with him and Stewart Kennedy who kept him out of the first team in the seventies which says it all , played 10 yrs TOO long.Remembering how bad he was . Jim Stewart took over from him thankfully although we just didn't have a good keeper until the likes of Chris woods then Goram.

Archived