Rangers - alleged cover up - BBC rebutted by club

RangersMedia

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Ivybank said:

2 simple questions  Daly  could have asked the guy, but they go against the bbc narrative against us

1. Why wait 20 odd years(and after he died to report him)  money obviously!

2. As you were underage at the time , why didn't your parents go to the police?

the Bbc and that bastard Daly are rotten to the core

Fucking bizarre the amount of cases of child abuse that apparently went unreported back in those days, like what the fuck did these parents do after finding out their child was abused? Make him a cup of hot chocolate and hope hell be fine in the morning and rest assured that it was probably a one off incident and that the abuser isn't going to do it to other kids? Like pick up the fuckin phone for christ sake

1 minute ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Time for Rangers to clarify exactly what happened.

Once clarified, it’d be the ideal time for the club to put the pressure on and ask for a full and open investigations into child sex offences in Scottish football

This could backfire majorly on the bbc actually.

8 minutes ago, Getstiffed said:

No they haven't said they have no record of the report, they've stated very clearly that it would be highly unlikely that any report from so far back would still exist. That's not the same as "there was no report".

I can't find my old house keys it doesn't mean I never had them.

You're basically making the same point as me but wording it like we're in disagreement. The whole point of my post is that the police saying they can't trace a record of a report is not the same as no report having been made, and that given how long ago it was it would be highly unlikely that if a report was made there would be any record of it anyway.

2 minutes ago, Bydo said:

That’s not what anyone here is saying IMO. We are saying we should NOT have wished him all the best in a club publication knowing what he did.

Its bog standard Rangers News farewell and no-one high up probably thought about it and the guys at Rangers News wouldn't have known the reasons for him leaving so they just did what they always did when someone left the club.

Fine, maybe a Rangers board member should have caught it before it went to print but the 80's weren't the 2000's. PR wasn't at the forefront of everyone's minds.

Just now, Willis said:

Fucking bizarre the amount of cases of child abuse that apparently went unreported back in those days, like what the fuck did these parents do after finding out their child was abused? Make him a cup of hot chocolate and hope hell be fine in the morning and rest assured that it was probably a one off incident and that the abuser isn't going to do it to other kids? Like pick up the fuckin phone for christ sake

Back in the 70s and 80s there wasn't the wall to wall coverage of child sex abuse, that is coming out now. It was a matter of keeping hush and not bringing the family name out in the open etc.. Of course we now see the results of that attitude as the victims are claiming wrongdoing, and rightly encouraged to do so to help them move on. Sadly, it allowed predators to continue with their disgusting behaviour.

This is a gold ticket for our board to come out with the facts and blow this shite out the water. 

And while they are at it,  highlight and call out the medias silence on the peodo ring over 30 years at The Scum.

I'm sure they will think twice before trying to implicate us with this pish in future if they know our response will shine a "spotlight" on their cover up. (pun intended)

15 minutes ago, Spectre said:

I've not read the rest of this thread so may be repeating what others have said but my take on this is that if we've covered it up it's disgraceful. What I do note though is that the police advise they have no record of a report. Outside of the absolute most serious offences i.e. a unsolved rape or murder is it likely they would still hold records whether it was reported or not though? Instinctively I wouldn't expect them to hold records from back then given it was likely still mostly paper records and if that is the case then it's important that they have advised they don't have a record of a report, not that Rangers did not make a report. I think it would be helpful if the police clarified the state of their records from that time. Further the Rangers News article is not good but I'm not sure what else I would expect given the guy hadn't been convicted of anything it would be risky (and probably not appropriate) to have given the reasons for him leaving. What would have been far more appropriate in the circumstances though would have been to simply state that he had departed from the club and offered no wishes at all.

4 minutes ago, Spectre said:

You're basically making the same point as me but wording it like we're in disagreement. The whole point of my post is that the police saying they can't trace a record of a report is not the same as no report having been made, and that given how long ago it was it would be highly unlikely that if a report was made there would be any record of it anyway.

Nope. The police have clarified it in the statement they made to the journalist who asked. They were quite clear. It's people taking what they said and saying it differently to infer a different meaning to their statement that is the problem.

4 minutes ago, Willis said:

Been saying this for ages mate - might have affected their careers - for fuck sake report the bastards  and get them jailed 

There was no “Cover up at Rangers” end of story.

A cover up is doing nothing an pretending or denying   It didn’t happen..

An allegation was made, it couldn’t be proven one way or another but we sacked the guy.

The report to the police can’t be proven but we have several people prepared to state that it was.

Daly’s  and the BBC headline are a disgrace.

Just read the article again and it says we covered up why he left.

With respect such allegations can ruin lives its not our job as a club to determine guilt or not.

When we became aware of allegations we acted then informed the police. From that moment its a job for the authorities.

We can't nor would I expect us to come out and say we've sacked an alleged paedophile.

1 minute ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

There was no “Cover up at Rangers” end of story.

A cover up is doing nothing an pretending or denying   It didn’t happen..

An allegation was made, it couldn’t be proven one way or another but we sacked the guy.

The report to the police can’t be proven but we have several people prepared to state that it was.

Daly’s  and the BBC headline are a disgrace.

We also made a statement about it a couple years ago, its taken a while for the BBC  to catch up, reeks of desperation 

1 hour ago, bluenoz said:

Coming out with a statement pronto is the best ammunition. If we are guilty, we need to own up and apologize and if we are not guilty, then try to show evidence. Either way, addressing the issue is right and will eventually make them look far worse.

Guilty of what exactly?     

4 minutes ago, Getstiffed said:

Nope. The police have clarified it in the statement they made to the journalist who asked. They were quite clear. It's people taking what they said and saying it differently to infer a different meaning to their statement that is the problem.

but you and I are still making the exact same point, that if a report was made (and I believe it would have been) that they would no longer have that report. You say "I can't find my old house keys it doesn't mean I never had them" as if it is contrary to what I'm saying when it's exactly what i'm saying, the police not having a report in the present day doesn't mean no report was ever made.

Archived