Katic -- new deal

thehost

STEVEN Gerrard believes Nikola Katic has a major role to play at Rangers going forward after the Croatian signed a one-year contract extension.

The Rangers boss says Katic has been rewarded for his hard work on and off the pitch as he committed his future to the club until 2023.

Gerrard said: “I am delighted for him first and foremost, I think he deserves it. He is a player who comes in on a daily basis and he tries to improve every day.

“He does all of his gym work, he does everything to perfection really in terms of preparation and I think that comes out in his performances.

“He is certainly someone who will put his body on the line for this club and he has certainly earned the contract extension.

“The message to Niko now is that this is that start again, you reset yourself and you go again and keep trying to play at that consistent level because he has become a fans’ favourite, he has got the utmost respect from my staff and myself.

“He is a player who we have done all we can to try and help grow and shape and we will continue to do that.

Gerrard says the Croatian has all the right qualities needed for a centre-half in the Scottish Premiership.

He added: “I think he suits the league, there are still parts of his game that we need to try and polish up and improve on but if you look at the basics of what you need in this league to be a centre-half you need to be able to handle yourself in both boxes, you need to be physical, you need to be able to compete and you need to be mobile and he ticks all them boxes.

“All the main things are there with Niko now we just need to keep trying to polish and shape his game up.

“He has been a regular for me, he has been out the team at times just to protect him because of his age because in centre-half terms he is still young but he is a fantastic asset for the club and he has got a major part to play in what we are trying to do here.”

Since joining last June, Katic has already played over 40 games for the club, and Gerrard can see a big future at Ibrox.

He explained: “We won’t keep anyone here who we don’t think has got a major part to play so we have got big plans for Niko and we want him to be here for many many years.

“He is a potential leader in the long run if he keeps finding his voice and I’m sure he’ll continue to come out of his shell as well so there’s still potential there that we need to unlock but he is in a fantastic place and we are delighted with him.

SG says all the things I'd like to hear tbh, but more importantly, what Niko needs to hear. 

NIKOLA Katic says he wants to grow with Rangers after he committed his future to the club until 2023.

The Croatian confessed he has never known such a positive atmopshere in football like that of the current Gers and says the strong bond in the dressing room was a key contributing factor to extending his Ibrox stay.

The 23-year-old centre-half believes the environment and atmosphere around the club is continuing to help him improve on and off the pitch.

Katic spoke to RangersTV this afternoon, having put pen to paper on a one-year contract extension.

He said:

“I feel it is really good for me to have four more years here, I think that will help me become a better player, a better person and to help the club achieve something special.

I think it is a really good club for a younger player, with this manager, a lot of fans and a lot of good players with experience from the Premier League and other leagues in the world.

That will definitely help me to grow every day and become a better person and a better player.

“The club is growing day by day, we are top of the league and hopefully we will keep that until the end which is the key point.

“We are in a really good position and hopefully that will help me and my team mates to become better players.

The club is a real high step up and has helped me not just on the football pitch also off of the pitch to find new life lessons and to become more mentally strong.”

The Croatian says the bond within the squad has helped him settle in and feel at home in Glasgow after signing for the Light Blues last June.

He explained: “The relationship between the players is amazing, I have never seen something like that.

“We have like 30 players but I can’t find anyone who is not good with me or I am not good with them.

“If I want I can call any of them tonight and ask them anything and they will be like my brother.

“It is like one big family and I think that is really important if you want to achieve something special.”

Katic has become a favourite among the Gers fans with his passionate displays on the pitch, something which he admits came as a surprise.

He added: “Since I have arrived the amount of love they send me is amazing, all my friends and family are really surprised with that.

“I am really happy because of that and they help me a lot because I know I have a lot of people behind me who love me and they just help me to be better on the pitch.

“I am the type of player who will give everything on the pitch and maybe that is why they like me, but to be honest I didn’t expect that amount of love and support.”

And big Niko saying what everyone at the club wants/needs to hear! There is no panic. The big man's going nowhere!  Love it!!! 

He will prove more valuable to us on the park and in transfer value once he inevitably goes than anybody our other CHs. Hes got everything needed to go to the very top of the game.

A very much deserved new and financially rewarding contract for him, and plenty benefit for the club too. Well done NK and Rangers here 👏👏👏

Just read his hearts presser wonder who at the club keeps telling big Katic he’s wasn’t / isn’t mentally strong etc absolute pish , hasn’t put a foot front from day one and frankly I’m surprised he has signed a new deal to be constantly dropped for inferior players 

Archived