And if we face celtic in the final .........................

The Widow's Son

From the bygone days of yore, perhaps you remember the 1970 League Cup Final.  We hadn't won a trophy for some years (over four) and celtic had some team in those days.  but beaten they were by Derek Johnstone.  Don't remember this game much - the beers more than the years - but other posters have pointed out that Derek became a very popular boys name around this time.  Still remember a photo of Derek and Colin Jackson (a personal fave of mine) smoking a cigar with the cup.  We all wore younger men's clothes in those days.  

Maybe some of the more seasoned bears can share their memories of this game.  Warms your heart when you're 8,000 miles or so away.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’ll be the first major league final we’ve participated in since Walter Smith and Jelavic scores that winner over celtic.

This current Rangers team can reach the final and contest it.  It can qualify for the knockout stages of the Europa.  It can put up a challenge for the league title.  We have turned a corner and our performances reflect that.  We just need a bit of silverware.  

You are right mate, being auld (like I am) is alright to constantly  talk about the past. I was there that day when big DJ scored that goal - McCloy to Jardine, Jardine to Mclean, Mclean to Johnstone - goal ! 16 years old out jumping McNeil, like it was yesterday. But remember mate, we are Rangers and we are now. I never miss a game these days just like I never forget our past. Remember today as you equally remember the past 🙂

50 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

You are right mate, being auld (like I am) is alright to constantly  talk about the past. I was there that day when big DJ scored that goal - McCloy to Jardine, Jardine to Mclean, Mclean to Johnstone - goal ! 16 years old out jumping McNeil, like it was yesterday. But remember mate, we are Rangers and we are now. I never miss a game these days just like I never forget our past. Remember today as you equally remember the past 🙂

I was there that day and I'm pretty sure it was a cross from Willie Johnston that Big DJ headed in.  If I also remember correctly Colin Stein hit a post in the second half.

5 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

With all due respect - focus on the future to retain our history

With all due respect  FUCK OFF..........  That game was the catalyst for us to go on to much bigger and better things.  DJ wrote himself into Rangers folklore that day.   One of my favorite days ever support I g the Gers and there have been many.

Let's just get Hertz bubbed  then worry about the bead rattlers

4 hours ago, JCDBigBear said:

I was there that day and I'm pretty sure it was a cross from Willie Johnston that Big DJ headed in.  If I also remember correctly Colin Stein hit a post in the second half.

E an Williams played golf a few times in front of me and we were always thinking he was out of range :whistle:   even on par 3s

14 minutes ago, fanaticCR said:

Reminds of people saying 4/5-0 before tynecastle. Superb.

That's why you get the meltdowns on here you get regarding our games. The amount of people that had us waltzing up to tynecastle and taking 5 off of hearts like it was Elgin at ibrox was staggering.

They then get themselves into a tizzy when we've not matched their moronic predictions..

Hearts are struggling for form and goals but on their day they're one of the best sides in this league and a difficult opponent as they get right in your face. Now levein has gone we may start to see them improve 

As a sixteen year old I was there that day.

Distinctly remember this game as our supporters bus didn't turn up that day  and at around 2.30 we had to get a service bus into Motherwell and then a train to Mount Florida.

The game had started by the time we climbed the stairs into the Rangers end and after battling my way down towards the front to get a viewpoint I looked up to see a cross ball come over and the rest is history.

After the bedlam had settled down I remember turning to the guys next to me and asking who the hell had scored.

Happy days.

7 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

With all due respect - focus on the future to retain our history

Wit ?

Only the tims would want to take the focus off our history. (and their own).

That 1970 final was a turning point for fans who had seen no success for years, and for many of us the first direct experience of winning a major honour.

OP is 100% correct to allude it to our current situation. 

1 hour ago, Rfc52 said:

That's why you get the meltdowns on here you get regarding our games. The amount of people that had us waltzing up to tynecastle and taking 5 off of hearts like it was Elgin at ibrox was staggering.

They then get themselves into a tizzy when we've not matched their moronic predictions..

Hearts are struggling for form and goals but on their day they're one of the best sides in this league and a difficult opponent as they get right in your face. Now levein has gone we may start to see them improve 

Fucking does my nut in. Then we draw with Porto and cunts are saying 7-1 with Motherwell :lol: 

2 hours ago, fanaticCR said:

Reminds of people saying 4/5-0 before tynecastle. Superb.

Very rarely do we stroll a semi final. I’d take a 1-0 last minute own goal winner as long as we make the final. In fact I’d take that in every league game as well.

Archived