Champions league v Europa league

hammer93

5 hours ago, hammer93 said:

None in the last 7 years tho....that's the ratio that worries me....the whole point of this thread is the significant gulf in class that has arisen in the last 4/5 seasons which makes the champions league less inviting money aside 

The last 16 is harder to achieve and is where the class teams hurt the lesser ones who manage to get through. Theres a whole lot of competition prior to that you seem to be writing off, which could be huge for us, illogically talking of defeats by margins we've not suffered once under the current management.

5 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

The last 16 is harder to achieve and is where the class teams hurt the lesser ones who manage to get through. Theres a whole lot of competition prior to that you seem to be writing off, which could be huge for us, illogically talking off defeats by margins we've not suffered once under the current management.

We haven't played the big guns that monopolise the champions league year in year out

10 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

We haven't played the big guns that monopolise the champions league year in year out

And theres plenty games I'd fancy us to win in the CL, where we'd do ourselves justice, not face 4/5 nil gubbings, that would make us being in the CL better than the EL.

You seem to think the CL is only about the top teams, about us getting gubbed, there's nothing to substantiate it.

1 hour ago, hammer93 said:

The thing is it's never a real challenge nowadays.....the competition is too far gone for us to challenge.....I used to love the champions league nights....even in the 90s when we suffered many a defeat their was still a magic about the competition.....I just don't get it now if I'm being honest....Ajax last season was the 1st in a long time that the competition had that bit of magic to it

I get your point but it’s more money and it’s a chance to watch the best players in the world at Ibrox play against whoever is visiting.

Win/Win and if you take a skelping that’s just the nature of the disparity of income in the game, shit happens, I still want our club competing in the worlds flagship football tournament any chance we get.

I think we could compete at Champions League level. I'm not saying we'd do this that or the other. However most top teams are coming back to the pack. Barcelona, Bayern, Real, AC Milan, Man U, Arsenal etc. are not quite the force they once were. 

Could we compete with Atalanta, Salzburg, Brugges, Ajax etc.? I think we could. I also think on our day we would cause problems to the top seeds.

Hopefully we get to find out soon enough.

Porto were ranked 3rd to win the Europa League so it's definitely our level of competition. 

Flight of fancy I know but if we were to win the Europa League then we go straight into next seasons CL group stages without the need to play qualifiers. CL is where the big money is and has to be a long term goal. The next level.

Coming back to earth just getting out of the group stages will be an excellent achievement and more cash than last season.

Has to be the CL but you know what, I'm just happy being in the group stage of any European competition given what we have been through in the past few years. We have the European nights back and are getting good results. Let's be happy with how its going and use it as a springboard to the CL.

CL all day long especially since 3rd place puts you into the EL anyway. You can either be in EL group stage and finish top 2 to progress or CL and finish not bottom to progress to the same stage or miles better. 

However, I am really enjoying the Europa League. Getting 5 put past us by Real Madrid probably won't be as fun as beating Porto and Feyenoord. It is proving to be a great competition for us from a competitive sense but CL is where it's at. 

Archived